The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 01, 2000, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Since NFHS does not have a signal for a full time-out, I was wondering how you signal to the scores table or the coach who did not call the time-out? I have adopted the signal used for a double foul, but I start with the closed fists at my chest and then extend my arms horizontally. I know this is not an official signal, but since I started using the signal, I have not had to tell the table or the coach what kind of time-out we have. I know the coaches are suppose to know that if it is not a 30 second TO then it must be a full TO. The only problem is that in high school and under, the coaches don't seem to be watching for the TO signal. They either don't pick up on the 30 second signal or maybe we are giving it too fast. Any ideas?
Old Wed Nov 01, 2000, 04:22pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up That works

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Baldwin
Since NFHS does not have a signal for a full time-out, I was wondering how you signal to the scores table or the coach who did not call the time-out? I have adopted the signal used for a double foul, but I start with the closed fists at my chest and then extend my arms horizontally. I know this is not an official signal, but since I started using the signal, I have not had to tell the table or the coach what kind of time-out we have. I know the coaches are suppose to know that if it is not a 30 second TO then it must be a full TO. The only problem is that in high school and under, the coaches don't seem to be watching for the TO signal. They either don't pick up on the 30 second signal or maybe we are giving it too fast. Any ideas?
Jerry,

Signal for NCAA:
Women only full time out:
Place fingertips and thumbs of both hands together in front of chest and spread hands out to shoulder width.

I don't think Men's has a signal, but they may.
mick

Old Wed Nov 01, 2000, 06:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up no signal

Well there is a signal that college uses kind of like the signal for double fouls. Instead of having closed fist, you open up your palms. In my state meeting the interpreter told us we could use this signal as mandated by the state. But before we were allowed to use that this year, gave no signal. If it was not a 20 second time-out it was always a full. Seems pretty simple to me.
Old Wed Nov 01, 2000, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

"It's a full time out Coach!"
Old Thu Nov 02, 2000, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Here in Alabama we use the extended arms, similar to the double foul signal. In fact, we have a modified photocopy of the double foul signal (it's drawn with open palms instead of fists) as Signal #29 in the state manual.

Martin
Old Thu Nov 02, 2000, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Time Out

I agree with Rut.... If you don't give the 30 second signal, it obviously is a full!! Why complicate the job with more signals?
Old Thu Nov 02, 2000, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Positive communication is almost alway better than implied communication. Imagine the nightmare that would occur if we did fouls that way. If you don't signal a block, it's a charge. In that case we have a definite signal for each possibility. If we have a full timeout signal, it only server to be clear rather than having everyone wonder if they just missed the signal or is it a 20.

We need a signal for it.
Old Thu Nov 02, 2000, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Full Time-out signal

We need some sort of a signal for each timeout. Yes, if there is no thirty signal, it must be a twenty. However, we at the table like to know that there is a timeout so that we can correctly time and charge it. If there is confusion with the arms extended version, go to something like the football TO signal.
Old Thu Nov 02, 2000, 06:21pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

I suggest we make the letter "F" with our arms and bodies, similar to acting out the letters in the song "YMCA".

Of course, if a coach made that signal, we'd give him a T.
Old Thu Nov 02, 2000, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
I suggest we make the letter "F" with our arms and bodies, similar to acting out the letters in the song "YMCA".

How do you know he's not just asking for a full time-out?
Old Thu Nov 02, 2000, 06:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Smile

That is what your pregame conference is for. I am not saying do not use the signal, but do what you did the year before, do nothing. If you are not signaling anything, then what does common sense tell you? I am just saying that my state allowed us to do it this year. In the past we were told not to. I really do not care either way because if a coach did not signal for a 20(last year), then it was always a full. And you always told the table before hand that if I do not signal a twenty(last year), it was a full. Sounds pretty simple to me.
Old Fri Nov 03, 2000, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
The time you need the signal is not when you are signaling to the table. It is when you first blow the whistle.

Situation: player is backing into the corner, feels a sneeze coming on, turns his back, and signals a T. You on lead are the only person in the gym who sees this. You blow your whistle, and then what? Shout and hope the coach on the far bench hears you? Hope all the players with their backs to you and thinking about other things and trying to get untangled hear you?

We need a signal!
Old Fri Nov 03, 2000, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

The way I see it is this. More often or not, the coach will give me a "full" signal by extnding the arms out with the open palm. It may not be in the rules, but in Volleyball we do have non-official signals that are encouraged by the nhfs to help with game management. I say use the siganl, and avoid any problems. You can never over communicate with the table. You are either dealing with kids who don't know better, or adults who think they know all. CYA, (unless you have an assignor or observer who is cracking down, then do as the romans).
Old Fri Nov 03, 2000, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

I agree that a full time out signal is not needed.

In our pre-game we discuss it and in our admin meeting with the coaches we remind them.

When the calling official comes to the table if no signal is given by the coach it's a full.

If the coach wants a 30 he will give the signal.

The scorers and timers are notified the same way. If I have a 30 I will give the signal.

If I don't signal a 30 it's a full.

That's very easy and not confusing at all.

It just takes a little time in pre-game to educate the coaches.

Of course, it helps if your local group will all agree and do it the same way. Then coaches know what to expect.

Thanks
David
Old Fri Nov 03, 2000, 02:58pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

How do you know he's not just asking for a full time-out?
I never give a coach the benefit of the doubt.