The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Don't have an opinion on the backcourt count, but I would like to do away with all closely guarded counts, except when they are holding the ball. I don't remember the last 5 second count I called, so it isn't really a problem. Also, we have games on courts of all sizes. When the division line is farther away from the baseline, the offense has an advantage under the current rules; when it is closer, the defense has an advantage. Besides, I've seen defenses pick up cheap 5 second calls and its not always good defense, plus it can be very discretionary.

However, holding the ball is not a basketball play so it is needed there. To me its more important to keep the game moving than to call a meaningless violation 30-40 feet from the basket. Now, they can amend the current rule to make it apply only within the three point arc, but outside it isn't needed.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=ranjo;592913]I know you said that in fun, but how often do you get a 10 second call in a season?

Maybe a half dozen to a dozen.

Do you count when there is no press on?

Definitely, not all presses start at the moment the ball is inbounded. And I've had 10 sec calls that were not at all related to pressing situations.

Actually, when moving from back to frontcourt, I try to use the game or shot clock to count the seconds instead of moving my arm in some kind of rhythmic motion. That way if a coach questions your time management, you can tell him what was on the clock when you started your count. It kind of catches some of them by surprise that you would know that

That's great and all, but what happens if something happens while you're finding the time on the clock (was it a clean steal or foul; quick poke oob, who was it off of), "Coach I'm not sure what I saw because I was looking at the clock, but it I do know it happened at 6:47"
/QUOTE]
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, when moving from back to frontcourt, I try to use the game or shot clock to count the seconds instead of moving my arm in some kind of rhythmic motion. That way if a coach questions your time management, you can tell him what was on the clock when you started your count. It kind of catches some of them by surprise that you would know that

That's great and all, but what happens if something happens while you're finding the time on the clock (was it a clean steal or foul; quick poke oob, who was it off of), "Coach I'm not sure what I saw because I was looking at the clock, but it I do know it happened at 6:47"
/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I have gotten into the habit of sneaking a peak at the clock quite often in the course of a game, especially on an inbound or after a whistle to make sure the timer has properly started or stopped the clock. It was something I had to learn to do until it became almost natural. The location of the clock in some older gyms makes it risky to glance away, but so far the only thing I know I have missed were a couple of travels. However your point is well taken.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjo View Post

/QUOTE]
I have gotten into the habit of sneaking a peak at the clock quite often in the course of a game, especially on an inbound or after a whistle to make sure the timer has properly started or stopped the clock. It was something I had to learn to do until it became almost natural. The location of the clock in some older gyms makes it risky to glance away, but so far the only thing I know I have missed were a couple of travels. However your point is well taken.[/QUOTE]
Until we have 11-person officiating crews working games, officiating will always be a game of tradeoffs. No matter what topic we're discussing, there's always the risk of missing A because we were watching B. C'est la vie.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
Listening to Doris Burke at the NCAA Women's tourney this weekend and she is a huge advocate of putting in the 10-seconds backcourt violation and 5-seconds closely guarded rules we see in the men's game.I happen to agree with her completely for the reason that at this level good, solid defense is not rewarded.It takes a lot of discipline to stay closely guarded for 5 seconds and keep the opposing offense in their backcourt for 10.Does anybody think I am crazy and would anyone like to see 10 seconds added in women's NF?
I hope they just leave it like it is. Usually, the men follow what the women do, so I am hoping that they do not change it. I must say it is hard something switching between NFHS and NCAAW for me. So, that why with AAU, I do all girls ball.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

I forgot to mention I much prefer two hand reporting to the one handed way. I think I heard from somewhere that the NCAA men were looking at it.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Doris Burke is the equivalent of Billy Packer but without whatever redeeming qualities Billy had.
that is kind of harsh don't you think, what did Billy ever do to you?

Anyway - the shotclock is only 30 seconds and with closely guarded (holding the ball only) being in effect all over the court there is no need for a ten second back court rule.

womens teams mostly nusiance press to eat time, If the rule changed they might work on stronger presses but I prefer the way things are.

this was one of the items on the rules change survey for officials this year there were a bunch of choices including:

Back court count various scenarios
moving 3 point line back a foot
going to 10 min quarters
droping 1 &1 and moving directly to 2 shots on the 7th foul
Old Fri Apr 03, 2009, 01:25pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
this was one of the items on the rules change survey for officials this year there were a bunch of choices including:

Back court count various scenarios
moving 3 point line back a foot
going to 10 min quarters
droping 1 &1 and moving directly to 2 shots on the 7th foul
No comment...there was enough of a discussion on this board about this

Didn't really seem to change the men's game much this year, it'd make a bigger difference if they moved it back again. The women's game could really see a change if it were moved back, at least from what I've seen this year personally.

Just a freaking excuse to take a timeout after 10 minutes. The TV folks would love this!

Hmmm, this could be a problem with the coaches, because it take strategy away from them. But easier on us zebras, then we wouldn't have to make sure the freaking table is caught up on it!
Old Fri Apr 03, 2009, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

I like the women's rules as they are.
Old Fri Apr 03, 2009, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Men's is 35, women's is 30.

I've always heard they don't have the 10 second backcourt count in the women's game because of the shorter shot clock.
I didn't realize that women didn't have the backcourt count. I also don't see why having a 30 second shot clock prohibits a back court count. In FIBA everyone has an 8 second count. In competitions that use a shot clock it is 24 seconds (used to be 10 second backcourt and 30 shot clock).

IMHO the first thing that needs changing is shorten the shot clock for men's college games. Been watching a bit of the NCAA finals, and it seems that the first 10 seconds in the front court the offensive team just play silly-buggers and run a series of screens that don't really have anything to do with the offense. As well, it must make it hard for college players that go from NCAA to NBA or International competition, going from a 35 second shot clock to 24 must be a big adjustment, especially for point guards.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Sat Apr 04, 2009, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

I think adding the 10 second rule to the women's game will give an interesting advantage to good defensive teams. However, i've watched and attended many WBB college games, and I think adding the 10 second clock would be a good change. Many times when a team wants to kill the clock, they camp in the backcourt until they reach the 10-12 second mark on the shot clock. It would be good to force those tactics into the front court. I would keep the 30 second shot clock.
Old Sun Apr 05, 2009, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

The clolsely guarded count is a big plus for the game. It rewards team defense as noted, more specifically team defense (denying the pass). it promotes ball and player movement. It is a comeback/turnover tool and rewards persistence and thought. The game could use more emphasis on these aspects at all levels. From an officiating point of view it can add some extra fun and excitement.

If you haven't noticed, I like it.