Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 06:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
So you'd have no problem with picking only white officials then, to the exclusion of black officials, if the players on both teams are white?
That already happens. Why would I have a problem with this situation?

For the record that very thing happened to me personally in a conference I no longer work. Every game my crew had with this particular conference, we almost always worked this one school that had a Black coach, players and fans. It ended up causing a conflict because we could not get away from this particular school. When we were assigned two all white school and communities (well they had one African-American player between them) we were shocked. I soon stopped wanted to work that conference.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 06:49pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Cameron, I have worked several games with an all-Black crew. It is amazing in this day and age the amount of comments good and bad that were made about it.
What would the context of a good comment be with regard to the fact that the crew was all-anything?

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 06:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
What would the context of a good comment be with regard to the fact that the crew was all-anything?
"We have never had an all-Black crew before."

"Are you all from here?"

"You guys must be from Chicago" (none of us were)

"Brothas going to help us out tonight."

I could give more examples, but this is a family show and based on how offended people tend to get, I will keep the rest to myself.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 07:02pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
In a perfect world, there would be a pro-portionate number of officials to match the area. So, ideally, roughly half the officials should be female. And the racial demographics of the general population should be matched by those who choose to officiate sporting events. If things are out of pro-portion, then maybe a concerted recruiting effort should take place to put things more in balance. After all, if the pool of officials matches the general populace, then making things balanced should be a piece of cake.

I have just moved to an area with a county population of over 900,000. About 3/4 of the 80 member officials attended the meeting I went to last week. The demographics from the Census Bureau did not reflect the mix in the meeting. And it doesn't really matter to me. I will have opportunities to work with a lot of new folks--black and white--here. I am looking forward to it. I think I can learn from all of them. I don't care if my partner is black or white, male or female. And I don't care what race the coaches or players are, either. I just want to improve.

I just came from one of the whitest states in the country. A local high school there won the state championship and there was an equal number of black & white players on the team. During AAU season leagues I heard questions about why there might be so many black girls on the team. From other officials. I never really thought about it because they are all teammates and get along great on and off the court. Were the questioners biased? I don't believe so. I think they were just surprised because of the state's demographics that it could occur anyplace other than Burlington which is the largest city. Most of the officials are impressed with how well the team works together and the JV team is the same way and they have won 40 straight. And it is because they play good basketball.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 07:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Then you're more blind than I ever imagined.
Or we do not look through the same prism of life. And if we did, you would come out and say what he said, instead of just implying it was said. It is clear I will say what is on my mind.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 03:54am
Official Forum Member

"The Moats family, who are black, said they can't help but think that race might have played a part in the white officer's behavior.
"I think he should lose his job," Ryan Moats said."

-----------

Police officer delays Ryan Moats of Houston Texans in hospital parking lot as family member dies - ESPN
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 07:43am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
So you'd have no problem with picking only white officials then, to the exclusion of black officials, if the players on both teams are white?
That already happens.
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
I would be willing to guess (I said "guess" not "wager" or "bet"...that's illegal - right Mr. Donaghy?)...that the author of this article was cheering for the team that lost.....

I am continually amazed at the degree to which emotional involvement (wanting one particular team to win) clouds the vision of and impairs the rational thinking by people watching a sporting event. If those who criticize the game officials are truly honest - I bet 90% of the time they would admit to wanting one team to win (and of course the "other" team won and thereby the impetus to criticize the officials...)
The writer of the diatribe probably was cheering. He failed to mention in the article that he's the father of Fort Wayne Wayne's point guard.

But I'm certain he's completely unbiased.
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
"The Moats family, who are black, said they can't help but think that race might have played a part in the white officer's behavior.

-----------

Police officer delays Ryan Moats of Houston Texans in hospital parking lot as family member dies - ESPN
IMO - If people think that race DIDN'T play a part in this, they are VERY naive.
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
The writer of the diatribe probably was cheering. He failed to mention in the article that he's the father of Fort Wayne Wayne's point guard.

And as the late, great Paul Harvey would say... "Now (we) know the rest of the story."
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
And Jeff is right that the best way to avoid the appearance would be to work to actively move the best refs of color up to the various levels in all associations and in all areas. (I'd say the same thing for female refs, but that's another subject).
So the best way to avoid the appearance of racism is to engage is some ourselves?

An interesting theory.

How about we just move the best refs up, and ignore their "race" entirely?
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 09:54am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post

If true, he's an even bigger piece of work than he already is.
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 09:58am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut View Post
So the best way to avoid the appearance of racism is to engage is some ourselves?

An interesting theory.

How about we just move the best refs up, and ignore their "race" entirely?

What do we do with ones who already moved up who shouldn't have?
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
That already happens.
He didn't ask if it happens, he asked if it was acceptable.
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

-----------

If the officer should lose his job, it should be because he is incompetent.

Whether he was incompetent because he is a racist, or incompetent while not being racist is both immaterial and almost impossible to ascertain.

But that race card is just too enticing to leave it unplayed.
Closed Thread