The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 11:29pm
(Something hilarious)

Finger Whistles or not?

I would like to hear from as many as want to reply the answers to the following questions:

1. Do you use a finger whistle?

2. Why or why not?

3. If you work high school and college, do you change or use the same?
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
I would like to hear from as many as want to reply the answers to the following questions:

2. Why or why not?

1. Yes, at R and U. At HL, LJ and BJ I use a wrist lanyard. I have one neck lanyard it holds my car key.

2. No need to have a whistle in your mouth. It gives you time to think. My only IW was with a neck lanyard.

3. Does not depend on the level. I have worked High School, JC and NCAA Div II and III. Have never worked U in college.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 12:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
No.

Quote:
2. Why or why not?
Using a lanyard whistle while officiating just works for me. I have never liked the look of officials that use finger whistles. I think it looks silly. To each his own I guess.

Quote:
Use the same.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I have never liked the look of officials that use finger whistles. I think it looks silly.
Peace

I also don't like how it looks. Plus, you always see guys that will give the "half-signals" where one hand is blowing the whistle and the other hand is giving the call (like for touchdown, one hand is up in the air and the other hand is in your mouth, then joins the other hand in the air). Just looks bad IMHO.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 12:56am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I do not use a finger whistle. I attribute my choice to having started officiating basketball before football. I have pretty good whistle control. (That is, last IW was a few years ago.)

I tried switching to the finger grip, as R or U as SoCA mentions, after a legal snap, but went back to the smitty 100%.

I just don't like not having to blow the whistle when I want to. I don't like the delay of bringing the whistle to my mouth. No change from 6 to 26 year olds.

As for giving half-signals, I think that is a characterisic of someone who can't as easily remember to incorporate proper mechanics.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

The mechanics my association taught was to have the lanyard whistle in your mouth but drop it at the snap, then go to the finger whistle. I tried that for a while but couldn't get compfortable with it. I worried to much about IW. I've gone to just the finger whistle and when you work with it enough, you can get quick with it.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

I am an umpire, and I use a finger whistle. I am not against using a lanyard, and have tried both. I tried using a Smitty, and would spit the whistle at the snap and use my finger whistle after that. Now I just use the finger.

When I was HL I used a lanyard. I actually extended the lanyard by adding a Smitty to the regular to make it longer. I would hold the whistle in my mouth until the snap. Then I'd hold it in my left hand while covering the play. I could easily get into my mouth when I needed to and use my arms to stop the clock if needed. I found this easier than letting it hang loose and try to find it when I needed it. It would end up in pocket and over my shoulder. Adding the Smitty made it easier to hold in my hand without limiting my movement or running.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 08:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

I am an R and I use a neck lanyard.

Whistle in the mouth prior to the snap and drop it at the snap. Sometime between then and the end of the play I find the whistle and hold it in my hand.

I've tried the finger whistle and it just isn't for me. Of course, I had 7 years of basketball in before I started working football a dozen or so years ago.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Neck lanyard. At R and U, whistle in the mouth until the snap, then catch the whistle in my right hand as I spit it out. On a turnover as R, I will put it in my mouth and run with the play.

At L, LG, BJ, I keep it in my mouth unless the play goes the other way, at which point I drop it and catch it with my right hand. If it comes back my way or we are approaching the GL, I put it back in my mouth.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

No finger whistle.
Don't like it and seen to many one armed signals.
Do the same for HS and College.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Count me among the "silly." I use a finger whistle and have for 25+ years. I don't give one-armed signals. A short tweet and then give the signal. Works fine for me.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote:

2. Why or why not?

1. No
2. Because of the problem of giving signals. I assume the purpose of the finger whistle is to avoid inadvertent whistles. I drop the whistle out of my mouth after the snap and free kick. No problem with IW now.
3. No difference.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

I've tried both and I now use a lanyard. It's just a matter of comfort for me.

If you do use a finger whistle, be sure to toot the whistle, THEN signal with both hands, like that Bob M. said!
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

When I was a U I always used a finger whistle. Now that I have gone to the white hat I use the usual lanyard type. The whistle remains in my mouth til the snap, when I simply let it drop out of my mouth. I only do high school ball. As for why, killing the clock, signalling and blowing the whistle is a bit easier for me as an R with the whistle in my mouth as opposed to the finger type. It is what you are most comfortbale with though in all cases.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

I can see why a U or maybe an R might want a finger whistle, but if you work on the line or BJ you probably want the lanyard. The half signals have always bothered me.

Personally, I hold the whistle in my left hand most of the play and only bring it to my mouth when I feel the play is almost over. It becomes second nature and you never have to think about it. Took a long time not to be a whistle in mouth guy, but there really isn't any reason you have to keep it in your mouth - ever.

At the snap, if you have a false start and you're holding your whistle, you can shut it down virtually as quickly as if you had it in your mouth. IWs are a lot less likely if the whistle isn't in your mouth. I can't tell you the number of times, I have avoided IWs by having that extra half second to see the play while bringing the whistle to my mouth. Keeping it out of my mouth makes me slow down. Slowing down will always make you a better official, except in the eyes of idiot sportscasters.