The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 04, 2002, 07:59am
In Memoriam

Question

How many times have we been so "into the game" that the horn went off and we were surprised?

During the last minute of any quarter, the clock now becomes an added factor.
We have found it useful to raise one arm with an index finger pointing, "One", and our partners answer the same way, allowing all of us to know the time situation.

This happens anytime under 1:00.

We used to point at our wrist, but this is much cleaner and much more visible.

What do you do, if anything?

Old Fri Oct 04, 2002, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

The same.
Old Fri Oct 04, 2002, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

We pat the top of our head, partner gestures back.
Old Fri Oct 04, 2002, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
The same, and then signal again in the final seconds to verify who has the last shot responsibility.
Old Fri Oct 04, 2002, 10:36am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
One finger up

I used to do this, I went to a camp that Tom O'Neil put on and when his brother saw me do this he corrected it for me. You shouldn't put a finger up because it draws attention to you, the best thing to do is for the person who will have the clock to put a hand to their chest till they get aknoledgement from their partners. This is how they teach it at the college level, plus only your partners will notice it in most cases. Now if that doesn't work and the trail opposite table doesn't realize that you are in a last second sitch. and hasn't signaled it is OK to inform him that it is his/her responsibility by pointing to him/her, but this can be avoided by, EVERYONE TOGETHER NOW....

A GOOD PREGAME
Old Fri Oct 04, 2002, 11:20am
Esteemed Participant

We are not "allowed" to use the finger in the air during college games either...quite a few use it in the HS games around here...we usually just do the chest pat and point at each other like w_sohl said...an interesting side note: I used to use the one fist on top of the other "signal" for lockdown time when the shot clock was off - until I had a very paranoid coach ask me during a t.o. what I was doing that for and what it meant...regardless of what we think, they are watching and have some strange ideas of what our special little signals might mean...
Old Fri Oct 04, 2002, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Most of us here use signal 1, however it is not at the one minute mark. We generally signal that there is one shot left. Generally 24 ( wonder where we got that one) to 35 ( take a guess a that one) seconds left to go in a game.

I guess I am confused at why some college conferences want the chest thing. I like the 1 signal in the air because communicates not just to our partners but to everyone out there that the shot is going up. We were aware of it and we knew what was going on. When the signal is not obvious I would think there would be more questioning going on about last second shots. Everybody in theyre dog knows the clock is running out, it's not like we are giving someone an advantage.

We sometimes use the pat on the head fiur under 1/2 particularly under pro rules, and the the 1signal for last shot
Old Fri Oct 04, 2002, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

For college we use the chest pat, I did that once last year and an observer who'd never seen me work before asked why I was coughing at the end of each half. When I asked what he meant he said that if we covered who had the shot and clock responsibility in pre-game, there's no need for any type of signal. In college I've never used it since. I never use the head pat because that is the signal for a shot clock violation. At my high school games I always use the chest pat because my partner changes night to night and it's an easy way to make sure we're on the same page. Especially in gyms with only one clock.