The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

You put it down, wrong team picks it up

Kids travel playoffs (7th grade).

Following a time-out, the offensive team is slow to break the huddle, while the defensive team is on the court. The official puts the ball on the floor and starts the 5-second count. One of the defensive players, who clearly is not sure what is gong on, goes out-of-bounds and picks up the ball. Now what?
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Under Fed rules you can blow your whistle and make it right as long as the throw in has not legally ended.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 08:47pm
Courageous When Prudent

One piece of advice I've received from a retired D1 official is that whenever you place the ball down on a throw-in is to call out the color of the team who should be throwing it in.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 08:50pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarry View Post
Under Fed rules you can blow your whistle and make it right as long as the throw in has not legally ended.

rlarry:

Play #1: Team A has been awarded a throw-in after a timeout. The administering official has placed the ball at A1's disposable by bouncing the ball to A1 and A1 catches the ball. B1, who is guarding A1, steps out-of-bounds and grabs the ball out of A1's hands.

Play #2: Team A has been awarded a throw-in after a timeout. Team A does not leave its huddle after the timeout ends and the administering official has placed the ball at A1's disposable by placing the ball on the floor. B1 steps out-of-bounds and grabs the ball.

What is the difference between Play #1 and Play #2.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Wed Mar 25, 2009 at 08:25am. Reason: Deleted words at the end of the last sentence in Play #2.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarry View Post
The ball becomes live and the throw in begins when the official uses the RPP procedure and sets the ball on the ground; at that time it is at the disposal of team A. That is a different situation than an official by mistake giving the ball to team B.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 09:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Oh No You're Not ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
One piece of advice I've received from a retired D1 official is that whenever you place the ball down on a throw-in is to call out the color of the team who should be throwing it in.
And be prepared to body block any player from the wrong team who attempts to step out of bounds and pick up the ball.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 09:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Huh ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
The administering official has placed the ball at A1's disposable by placing the ball on the floor. B1 steps out-of-bounds and grabs the ball out of A1's hands.
How did the ball get from the floor into A1's hands?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post

Following a time-out, the offensive team is slow to break the huddle, while the defensive team is on the court. The official puts the ball on the floor and starts the 5-second count. One of the defensive players, who clearly is not sure what is gong on, goes out-of-bounds and picks up the ball. Now what?
2008-09 NFHS Basketball Case Book
*7.5.1 SITUATION B: Team A does not break the huddle after the second horn
for a 60-second time-out. The official puts the ball down at the designated spot
and begins the five-second count. The administering official is between four and
five on the count when Team B reaches over the boundary and grabs the ball.
RULING: Delay-of-game warning on Team B for reaching across the plane. No
Team A member ever possessed the ball for the throw-in; therefore, a technical
foul would not be assessed. (9-2 Penalty 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
rlarry:

Play #1: Team A has been awarded a throw-in after a timeout. The administering official has placed the ball at A1's disposable by bouncing the ball to A1 and A1 catches the ball. B1, who is guarding A1, steps out-of-bounds and grabs the ball out of A1's hands.

Pla #2: Team A has been awarded a throw-in after a timeout. Team A does not leave its huddle after the timeout ends and the administering official has placed the ball at A1's disposable by placing the ball on the floor. B1 steps out-of-bounds and grabs the ball out of A1's hands.

What is the difference between Play #1 and Play #2.

MTD, Sr.
"No Team A member ever possessed the ball for the throw-in" as stated in the above case play.
It is a new ruling for this year, so perhaps you just learned something new!
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Thanks. My 08-09 book is in my bag...not by the computer.

My partner was the administering official. As soon as the wrong player picked up the ball, he blew the whistle and took the ball back. But he did not issue the warning.
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 07:49am
Ref Ump Welsch

Reading the OP and the case play, I don't think we really have a definitive answer. This is a case of where the B player went OOB and picked up the ball. The case play only says what to do when they reach through the boundary and pick it up. What about if she comes OOB without reaching through the boundary, and picks up the ball? You can't issue a warning there because she's not reaching through the boundary per se. I'll just sit back with my popcorn and listen to the comments fly.
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Reading the OP and the case play, I don't think we really have a definitive answer. This is a case of where the B player went OOB and picked up the ball. The case play only says what to do when they reach through the boundary and pick it up. What about if she comes OOB without reaching through the boundary, and picks up the ball? You can't issue a warning there because she's not reaching through the boundary per se. I'll just sit back with my popcorn and listen to the comments fly.
So you think there's a difference between "reaching through" the boundary and "crossing" the boundary?
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 08:11am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post

Delay of game warning. There shouldn't be a T because the ball wasn't in A's possession.
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 08:24am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
How did the ball get from the floor into A1's hands?

I did not edit my cutting and pasting. I will edit my OP immediately.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 08:34am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
2008-09 NFHS Basketball Case Book
*7.5.1 SITUATION B: Team A does not break the huddle after the second horn
for a 60-second time-out. The official puts the ball down at the designated spot
and begins the five-second count. The administering official is between four and
five on the count when Team B reaches over the boundary and grabs the ball.
RULING: Delay-of-game warning on Team B for reaching across the plane. No
Team A member ever possessed the ball for the throw-in; therefore, a technical
foul would not be assessed. (9-2 Penalty 3)

"No Team A member ever possessed the ball for the throw-in" as stated in the above case play.

Nevada:

First, I went back to my OP and edited it so it made sense. Second, I am getting old and senile. I really do not like the ruling in NFHS Casebook Play 7.5.1 SITUATION B. Physical possession of the ball has nothing to do with the play. I have had this situation occur in the past (it has been a few years since the last time it happened; I even had in occur in a girls' varsity game) and each time I issued a team warning for delay of game if one had not been given and charged the player with a TF for delay of game. Whether B1 grabs the ball out of A1's hands or picks the ball up off of the floor B1's action is a delay of game that prevents Team A from completing or attempting to make a throw-in. This is just another case of an interpretation made by people who do not know the rules.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 09:33am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
So you think there's a difference between "reaching through" the boundary and "crossing" the boundary?
Reading the OP, I see a distinct difference in the action. That's why I'm throwing the idea between the two out there and see what everyone has to say. There is no case play for what happened in the OP, and the case play that has been presented doesn't seem to fit the OP. I know Mark makes a good case for the warning because of the prevention of A's ability to make the throw-in, and I would almost go along with that thought process. The OP and the lack of case play basically brings into play some thought process on our part.