The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 07:06pm
We don't rent pigs

Wrong team inbounds

This is one of those that we all know is wrong, but it sure looks right when you see it happen. Black knocked the ball out. Everybody knew it. Official called it and signaled correctly. Then, the next thing we know, black has the ball, dribbling past white's bench. This, as you might expect, brought a reaction from white's coach. "Whoa, wait a minute! It's our ball!" Official blew the whistle, went back to the end line, and gave the ball back to white. Most rules, I at least understand the theory, but this one? If this is caught before there is a change in team control, why would this not be a good one to add to the correctable error list.

Also, for those who wouldn't T the guy for being in the middle of the court trying to get his timeout, "because of our mistake," I imagine you would often get the opportunity to call one here. Would you also pass on this one?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
This is one of those that we all know is wrong, but it sure looks right when you see it happen. Black knocked the ball out. Everybody knew it. Official called it and signaled correctly. Then, the next thing we know, black has the ball, dribbling past white's bench. This, as you might expect, brought a reaction from white's coach. "Whoa, wait a minute! It's our ball!" Official blew the whistle, went back to the end line, and gave the ball back to white. Most rules, I at least understand the theory, but this one? If this is caught before there is a change in team control, why would this not be a good one to add to the correctable error list.

Also, for those who wouldn't T the guy for being in the middle of the court trying to get his timeout, "because of our mistake," I imagine you would often get the opportunity to call one here. Would you also pass on this one?
Sorry, coach. We screwed up, but can't fix it now.

THROW-IN BY WRONG TEAM BY MISTAKE
*7.5.2 SITUATION A: Team A is awarded a throw-in near the division line. The
administering official by mistake, puts the ball at B1’s disposal. B1 completes the
throw-in and Team B subsequently scores a goal. RULING: No correction can be
made for the mistake by the official after the throw-in ends.

Would you T the opposing coach for complaining, if he knew the rule and was aware that you were screwing his team?

Last edited by Nevadaref; Sun Jan 04, 2009 at 07:11pm.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 07:12pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

Would you T the opposing coach for complaining, if he knew the rule and was aware that you were screwing his team?

There are many different forms of "complaining."

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Sun Jan 04, 2009 at 08:12pm.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

We all complain about Nevada but he hasn't T'ed us up yet......

Yet.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, that does it.
Whack!
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 08:22pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Sorry, coach. We screwed up, but can't fix it now.

THROW-IN BY WRONG TEAM BY MISTAKE
*7.5.2 SITUATION A: Team A is awarded a throw-in near the division line. The
administering official by mistake, puts the ball at B1’s disposal. B1 completes the
throw-in and Team B subsequently scores a goal. RULING: No correction can be
made for the mistake by the official after the throw-in ends.

Dangerous to guess about what coaches do or do not know, but I'm betting that most do not know this rule. With that in mind, if our job was to keep the peace, and "bend the rules" when necessary to do so, (BUT IT ISN'T) I think the safe play is to give it back to white.

In the OP, I did not notice any reaction from black's coach.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 08:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I would T the coach in the play you're discussing, but I'm also going to give the coach a little leeway here.

This one gets prevented by communication between officials.

Also, right or wrong, I don't like the rule on this one either. Then again, I've never made this mistake (that I know of).
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Once when I coaching I sent in a sub between two free throws. We made the second and the sub, who must not have had her head in the game, grabbed the ball and took it out. An opponent was there too but she decided she was wrong so she backed off. We threw it in to a senior who knew which end was which, and she SHOT AND MISSED TWICE before the officials realized something was wrong. They whistled it and gave it back to our opponents.

Is anyone saying they would, in the above situation having recognized the problem at the same time as the officials in my game, let the play go and watch us continue to shoot and maybe even score?
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
Once when I coaching I sent in a sub between two free throws. We made the second and the sub, who must not have had her head in the game, grabbed the ball and took it out. An opponent was there too but she decided she was wrong so she backed off. We threw it in to a senior who knew which end was which, and she SHOT AND MISSED TWICE before the officials realized something was wrong. They whistled it and gave it back to our opponents.

Is anyone saying they would, in the above situation having recognized the problem at the same time as the officials in my game, let the play go and watch us continue to shoot and maybe even score?

Having the wrong team inbound the ball after a basket is different from having the wrong team inbound the ball after a violation (or foul). On one it's too late to correct; on the other it isn't.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Having the wrong team inbound the ball after a basket is different from having the wrong team inbound the ball after a violation (or foul). On one it's too late to correct; on the other it isn't.
That is a fair difference between the two situations. Now I've got to ask the next question: When would it be too late to correct the situation I described? If one of the first two shot attempts went in, could those points come off the board?
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
That is a fair difference between the two situations. Now I've got to ask the next question: When would it be too late to correct the situation I described? If one of the first two shot attempts went in, could those points come off the board?
Awarding an unmerited free throw is a correctable error. Fix it within the usual time-frame for correctable errors, including removing points from unmerited free-throws..
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 10:24am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Awarding an unmerited free throw is a correctable error. Fix it within the usual time-frame for correctable errors, including removing points from unmerited free-throws..
He's not talking about a free throw.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 12:44pm
We don't rent pigs

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
This isn't a correctable error. Once the inbounds is completed, I don't know of any rule that allows us to correct it, whether its from a foul, violation or made basket. If you have a rule reference, I'd like to have it so I could read it and improve my understanding.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 02:27pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
this isn't a correctable error. Once the inbounds is completed, i don't know of any rule that allows us to correct it, whether its from a foul, violation or made basket. If you have a rule reference, i'd like to have it so i could read it and improve my understanding.

Lonesome Dove