The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
If you don't realize that MONEY runs college sports you have been living under a rock for a long time. How do you think they pay these coaches millions a dollars a year...sponsorship and tv money. You can always watch the rodeo finals on ESPN5 if you want.
I thought that was on EPSN 8, "The Ocho."
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 01:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreckRef View Post
I thought that was on EPSN 8, "The Ocho."
They show dodgeball.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 02:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
If you don't realize that MONEY runs college sports you have been living under a rock for a long time. How do you think they pay these coaches millions a dollars a year...sponsorship and tv money. You can always watch the rodeo finals on ESPN5 if you want.
Exactly right. If it wasn't for all that money coming in from advertisers, you wouldn't be able to see that many games.

It's like people complaining that they have to pay an ATM fee. Businesses are supposed to make a profit; they normally do that by providing a service we want and are willing to pay for.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 02:53pm
In Time Out

the thing is it has gotten much worse. nfl games for example go on for a good 30 mins longer. Used to be an NBA game would be done in two hours now getting on to 3+. I would just like some control on the tv so I could switch from CBS regions to keep watching the games I want instead of having endless ads while there are games going on.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 02:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Isn't that available on the internet for a price? When you take it for free, you get the restrictions.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 03:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Isn't that available on the internet for a price? When you take it for free, you get the restrictions.
It's free on the internet.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 03:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Except for the high speed internet connection.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 10:05pm
In Time Out

cbs messup in Louisville country

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...n=ncaab,149916
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
It's like people complaining that they have to pay an ATM fee. Businesses are supposed to make a profit; they normally do that by providing a service we want and are willing to pay for.
Well, it used to be the case that banks made sufficient profit by lending at interest. The definition of "sufficient" has changed in the last 20 years, and banks have instituted a raft of fees on depositors for the privilege of accessing their own money. My personal fave is a fee imposed (and later removed) by a local bank for using a teller instead of an ATM.

That said, I don't complain about ATM fees. If a bank wants to charge me an ATM fee, I find another bank.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 09:59am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Well, it used to be the case that banks made sufficient profit by lending at interest. The definition of "sufficient" has changed in the last 20 years, and banks have instituted a raft of fees on depositors for the privilege of accessing their own money. My personal fave is a fee imposed (and later removed) by a local bank for using a teller instead of an ATM.

That said, I don't complain about ATM fees. If a bank wants to charge me an ATM fee, I find another bank.
Agreed, but I think we're talking about separate things. I'm not talking about a bank charging you to access your money from their accounts. I'm talking about privately owned ATMs sitting in the 7/11, or Albertson's, or bank you don't have your money in. If you bank at Wells Fargo, you can use their ATMs for free, but Bank of America will charge you if you want to take your money out of Wells Fargo through the B of A machine.

I put my money where it's most advantageous, and that would not be a bank that charges me to use their machines.

I use USAA, though, so I don't get charged and they reimburse me when I take money out of someone else's machine.
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

TV deals are "Closely Guarded " secrets

But in answering the thread the book specifically states that the 6 feet must be from foot to foot (4.10) and ends when the torso passes head and shoulder. So I would not consider a defender's back as being closely guarded, but more of s screen subjetc to teh rules set forth in 4.40
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
I would just like some control on the tv so I could switch from CBS regions to keep watching the games I want instead of having endless ads while there are games going on.
Get the DirecTV Mega March Madness package and you can have exactly that.

I can switch between any of the games on TV at any time. It's awesome.