The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

What the Hell with all the timeouts!

NCAA + CBS = "Corporate Greed" (The downfall of collegiate sports ECONOMY)

How can you just have a timeout.....then come out of a commercial....in bound the ball.....then get a violation or foul.....then go to commercial again?

CBS probably got a "bailout" and giving bonus commercials out!
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

FYI

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/rules...%202008_09.pdf
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes it happens when timeouts are called right before a scheduled TV timeout. For example, a thirty second timeout is called with 16:03 left in a half. At 15:51, traveling is called. Since TV timeouts are the first stoppage of play after the 16, 12, 8, and 4 minute mark, the commercials come very quickly after each other. I agree though, very annoying.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

I wish NCAA would go to something more like what the NBA does... If a team calls a time-out (full) then you dont have to do the next mandatory time out...
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

March Money Madness: CBS Sports to spend $6 billion over 11 years for basketball tourney

CBS to ink new $6B contract for NCAA basketball - Nov. 18, 1999

Doing the math....

There are 4,015 days in 11 years (365x11).

$6,000,000,000 divided by 4015 days is $1,494,396 and, wait for it, a penny, EVERY DAY. Or approx $62,266.50 per hour, every hour of every day for 11 years.

So, yeah, If I'm CBS - I run this contract to the letter it's written and run every commercial I can.

Don't hate the player, hate the game!
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks View Post
March Money Madness: CBS Sports to spend $6 billion over 11 years for basketball tourney

CBS to ink new $6B contract for NCAA basketball - Nov. 18, 1999

Doing the math....

There are 4,015 days in 11 years (365x11).

$6,000,000,000 divided by 4015 days is $1,494,396 and, wait for it, a penny, EVERY DAY. Or approx $62,266.50 per hour, every hour of every day for 11 years.

So, yeah, If I'm CBS - I run this contract to the letter it's written and run every commercial I can.

Don't hate the player, hate the game!
and the miserable fees officials get probably account for 0.0000001% of that.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 06:01pm
In Time Out

CBS coverage has been horrendous. It was awful last year and now it is worse. I already did a post how there was about 1 minute of play and 15 mins of ads while there was about 4 games going on. Then that stupid Exxon thing on the tv. Exxon the company that hopes African countries remain unstable and corrupt so they get better oil deals.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
CBS coverage has been horrendous. It was awful last year and now it is worse. I already did a post how there was about 1 minute of play and 15 mins of ads while there was about 4 games going on. Then that stupid Exxon thing on the tv. Exxon the company that hopes African countries remain unstable and corrupt so they get better oil deals.

In your opinion.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 06:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBoy View Post
NCAA + CBS = "Corporate Greed" (The downfall of collegiate sports ECONOMY)

How can you just have a timeout.....then come out of a commercial....in bound the ball.....then get a violation or foul.....then go to commercial again?

CBS probably got a "bailout" and giving bonus commercials out!
If you don't realize that MONEY runs college sports you have been living under a rock for a long time. How do you think they pay these coaches millions a dollars a year...sponsorship and tv money. You can always watch the rodeo finals on ESPN5 if you want.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 06:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
I wish NCAA would go to something more like what the NBA does... If a team calls a time-out (full) then you dont have to do the next mandatory time out...

The last thing we want is the NCAA to be more like the NBA!
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
This is why I have TIVO!!!
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
If you don't realize that MONEY runs college sports you have been living under a rock for a long time. How do you think they pay these coaches millions a dollars a year...sponsorship and tv money. You can always watch the rodeo finals on ESPN5 if you want.
I understand the "corporate" necessity.....but unless you have an enlarged prostate and "need" to visit the "tinkle" room during every commercial break....or if your refrigerator has an unlimited amount of food & drink.....these redundant breaks are a viewer nightmare! BRAVO for TiVo!

It's got to be frustrating to the players to just walk around during these LONG TV timeouts....what kind of game flow can you maintain? Oops....sorry 'bout the bad pun. Cheers!
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 08:21am
Courageous When Prudent

Are the media time-out rules any different for the tournament then they are for the regular season?

I know one game in the first round didn't have a single clock stoppage from 16:00 down to under 12:00 which meant they went to media times-out on back-to-back stoppages of play, but the same thing would have happened in a regular season game.

The thing I've noticed is that more 30-second times-out are being utilized by the coaches in the tournament. Similar to how there are more pitching changes during MLB post-season.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 08:38am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBoy View Post
I understand the "corporate" necessity.....but unless you have an enlarged prostate and "need" to visit the "tinkle" room during every commercial break....or if your refrigerator has an unlimited amount of food & drink.....these redundant breaks are a viewer nightmare! BRAVO for TiVo!

It's got to be frustrating to the players to just walk around during these LONG TV timeouts....what kind of game flow can you maintain? Oops....sorry 'bout the bad pun. Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
This is why I have TIVO!!!
If you've ever been to a "LIVE" Big Time sporting event, almost regardless of the sport, (but especially basketball and pro football) that take a lot of commercial breaks and timeouts, it's so much worse than being at home!

Football = Kickoff -commercial, punt - commercial, interception - commercial, TD - commercial, injury - commercial, etc. AND, that's with 8 minutes to go in the first quarter! Many times the games have absolutely no flow. At least at home you can flip channels, go to the fridge, DVR/TIVO, etc.

My $.02.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Are the media time-out rules any different for the tournament then they are for the regular season?

I know one game in the first round didn't have a single clock stoppage from 16:00 down to under 12:00 which meant they went to media times-out on back-to-back stoppages of play, but the same thing would have happened in a regular season game.

The thing I've noticed is that more 30-second times-out are being utilized by the coaches in the tournament. Similar to how there are more pitching changes during MLB post-season.
20 minute half time vs. 15 minute half time
2.5 minute timeouts vs. 1.5 minute timeouts on ESPN