The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 22, 2004, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Freshmen DH and I am not too excited about going. But the games were OK. A couple pretty good pitchers kept the games moving; we played two complete 5-inning games plus the obligatory food break in a little over 3 hours. But a bad partner ruined the evening for me.

I am standing by my car watching the home team finish infield practice, getting ready to put on chest protector and shirt. New partner drives up. Quick handshake and he heads for the field, saying “Come on, let’s get going; they’re ready to start; gotta check helmets!” “Uh Mike, I’ve been here for a half-hour; done both dugouts, checked bats, helmets, catcher’s equipment, and walked the field. But it’s nice that you are here now.”

“Oh” he says, and instead heads for the bleachers and starts talking to some fans. I finish, and then go sit next to him, and have to interrupt his conversation to discuss our pre-game issues. I go over the mechanics litany; he just nods his head and “yeah, yeah, yeah.” He lets me know that he is very experienced.

During pre-game conference he interrupts at least three times to ask his own questions (which I would have reached eventually).

The first half innings ends with him in “C.” He motions to me and I meet him in the center of the field. “That pitcher is illegal,” he said, “she is stepping outside the plate width.” I told him that I had been watching; that her foot was on the line, but I was not concerned yet. “That’s illegal,” he says, “her foot has to be inside the line.” I replied that the foot had to be entirely outside to be illegal. Now he is getting excited and raising his voice. “You’re wrong; go look at the pictures in the book, they show the foot entirely inside.” By this time the players are coming on the field and I moved away. I stood there fearful of what would happen if he called an IP. I could see that he would argue with me in front of the coach and her pitcher.

Each half-inning break he went to the same place at the fence talking to fans. As the inning started he slowly walked to “A” while continuing to talk. I even saw his head facing the fence when a pitch was being delivered.

He never came “inside” the entire game.

Made all calls from a fixed position. Steal of second; he stayed in “B.” From “C” on a play to 1B he made the calls from the edge of the grass.

No pre-game for 2nd game. I was standing at the plate waiting for him; he was in the dugout having cake and punch. He got a line-up from the coach, walked to the opposite dugout for a line-up, and yelled out “Lets play ball!”

On an extra base hit I’ve got obvious obstruction on F3; my arm is out as I take the runner into 2B. B-R in safely, I drop arm and head for “C.” Partner calls Time and, from home plate, starts chewing out F3; telling her she better get off the base when there is no play, etc. etc. etc.

I’m in “C” with R1 at 3B. Ground ball to F6; I’m coming in slowly waiting for F6 to commit. She lets R1 go and throws to 1B. I sprint into infield and am in good position to make a very close call. I sell the out and immediately hear “Can we have some help, Blue?” I shake my head as I move towards “A,” not going to discuss a judgment call. The request is repeated to my partner and I turn in time to see him throw out his arms and say “Safe! She pulled her foot!”

I am burning. At the end of the inning I say to him “Don’t you ever do that to me again. You don’t over-rule partner’s calls, and you never discuss a partner’s calls with a coach.” He starts arguing and I walk towards RF. I am nearly to 1B when he yells at me, “You’re wrong; you don’t know the rules!”

The home team lost the opener, but has a comfortable 8-2 lead with two outs in the top of the 7th inning. For some reason he decides that the pitcher needs to tuck in her shirt. She does a little, but he still objects. “No,” he says, “you’re folding it over. I want you to tuck it in.” And then, “No, quit folding it!” And finally, “Look Young Lady, put your hands on the shirt and push them inside the waist-band. I want to see the waist-band!”

We have a 14 y.o. freshman now in her tenth inning of pitching, only one out away from victory - and visibly upset. She struggles; the visitors get some walks and hits; the game is getting tense. She gets two strikes on at least four batters, but partner refuses to call a third strike, even though several were “freshmen level” strikes; close enough to be called. Finally, with the score 8-7 and the tying run at 3B, we get a pop-up to end the game.

I try to ignore him in the parking lot. He said, “Will I see you again?” I should have shut up, but instead I told him that I would never work with him again. He got angry and said, “You don’t like it because I over-ruled you. Too bad that you don’t know the rules. If you won’t admit that you are wrong and won’t accept being over-ruled, then you don’t belong in the game!”

WMB
Old Sat May 22, 2004, 12:00pm
In Memoriam

Oh, my !

Bad night.
Good post.
Thanks.
mick
Old Sat May 22, 2004, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

I thought the story was going to end with you waking up in bed in a cold sweat.
Old Sat May 22, 2004, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

I give this guy about three years before he runs off every good partner he could have possible had. Guys like that don't belong in our ADVOCATION.
Old Sat May 22, 2004, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

I know that a partner like that can ruin your whole night and certainly doesn't build confidence but why wouldn't you go to him on the pulled foot call? Were you concerned that he would question your judgement on the timing rather than just answer if there was a pulled foot? I know that with someone like that the appeal should be a private conversation between you and him to prevent his saying that the throw was late but just because he's a, putting it politely, jerk, doesn't mean that you shouldn't go to him when proceedure dictates in a manner that prevents his adding to his idiocy.
Old Sat May 22, 2004, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

The coach should have asked for help on if there was a pulled foot. By the sound of the first post that wasn't the case. The umpire when asked on that really should go to his partner for help.

What a nightmare though.
Old Sat May 22, 2004, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

ChampaignBlue: "I know that a partner like that can ruin your whole night and certainly doesn't build confidence but why wouldn't you go to him on the pulled foot call? Were you concerned that he would question your judgement on the timing rather than just answer if there was a pulled foot?"

If I ever have any question that the play is not what I saw (ie., possible pulled foot, missed tag, dropped ball, check swing, hit batter) I will go to my partner (publically) before I make the call. In lieu of that, I am assuming that I have the play and I will make the call.

If the coach wants to come to me with the position that I may have missed something, I will always privately check with my partner. After the discussion, I will make the call - either stay with the original, or reverse it.

Cardinal rule of umpiring: never discuss a partner's call with anyone other than partner. ("Not my call, Coach!"). Rule #2: never over-rule your partner. Only he can reverse himself.

WMB
Old Sat May 22, 2004, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Well, doggone it WMB, when you gonna read the rule book?
Uh, which rules was he talking about?

Not only do I never discuss a partner's call with anyone, I make sure we are well out of earshot of everyone before we discuss anything about rule interpretation or angle of views. There is no need to have someone like that on the field. The UIC should get hold of him and do some talking. I'm not sure you said anything about him that I could even begin to justify to someone.

Hey, if you don't mind, keep him WAY up there and don't let him out of your state, OK?
Old Sat May 22, 2004, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TBBlue
I had a problem with partner of 3-man crew when we covered everything at the pre-game except touches of bases and retouches. My fault as plate guy for missing that one. R1, R3, B2 in C. Baseball, by the way, but for this thread it is appropiate. Fly ball to F9. I went with 2-man instead of 3-man mechanics. I (PU) drop back 1b line extended, watch touch, glance at runner touching 3rd, back to catch. Appeal call coming for dugout, so I signal U-2 that I had the appeal. He gave me a quizacal look, but let me make call. Safe. Vistors run counts. Home team on traditional dugout. Fans muttering and discussing if it was my call...Coach askes U1 if that was my call. Even though we screwed the pooch, U1 says, yes that is what we discussed in pregame. Coach was cool with that. Life is good. I'm standing on 1b line between innings as home crowd still discussing if it was my call, I look up and there is U2. He proceeds to let me know, within earshot of dugout and stands that it was his call, and I had no business making the call, and on and on. Bingo, Plate man's credibility is shot for the rest of game. Long last two innings...I will never work with that man again, and told him I had no problem with being corrected, rheamed, etc.....after the game at our vehicles...not at home plate. Moral of story...Do a complete pregame always...
Old Sat May 22, 2004, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

WMB, I admire the strength of your partner.

Just kidden... holy crap what a nightmare. Absolutely terrible ump. Teamwork is obviously the key.
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rachel
The coach should have asked for help on if there was a pulled foot. By the sound of the first post that wasn't the case. The umpire when asked on that really should go to his partner for help.
Once you call it out there is no more asking your partner. When you call out, you are saying that the runner is out, you have seen the play and have made your decision. If you are unsure, you should ask your partner if there was a pulled foot, if he says yes then call the runner safe. Once you make your call don't ask your partner for help.
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

WMB "Cardinal rule of umpiring: never discuss a partner's call with anyone other than partner."

Don't get me wrong, there's no excuse for what he did, I was just throwing out a way in which we can try to pre-empt the antics of partners like that. When I get one I will let him know in the conference that it's my call and I had a good look and yes I saw the foot come off but she held until the ball got there. If he announces that he's changing the call anyway I just smile because I know that he's finished, our association won't put up with that.
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

ChampaignBlue: "but why wouldn't you go to him on the pulled foot call?"

I thought that you were suggesting that I may have been a little stubborn in not going to my partner on the pulled foot issue.

I never saw it! I had no reason to go to him. The only thing I heard from the coach was "Can we get some help here?" It is possible that because I was trying to come to a stop, see the play, and make a big sell call that I did not see a pulled foot. (BTW - I am 63, and at least that many lbs overweight - started behind F2, and was about 15' from 1B at the end of my sell call! Maybe I should have pulled up a little earlier and been a little more stationary to make the call.)

To be honest, I really don't think there was a pulled foot! Remember that he spent a lot of time with the fans of the visiting team. That he put the shaft to the home team in the top of the 7th. That he came into this game with an attitude that, as home plate umpire, he has the responsibility and authority to overrule base umpires when they make a mistake.

In my mind it is possible that he saw the runner as safe and made up the pulled foot to get the safe call. Now that is a terrible accusation against a fellow umpire, and I certainly cannot prove it. But I am not convinced there really was a pulled foot.

WMB
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Talking

Yep, keep him in Michigan. We've got enough of those types of idiots here in Georgia. The Associations keep them on for a warm body. Good umpires seem hard to come by. I was peeled off the fence many times during DD's games due to poor officiating. Too many good umpires have retired or are refusing to call ball due to CLOWNs that they would have to work with on the field!!! (me, that's one of 3 reasons I retired)

Elaine
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Hate guys like that. Love the guys I have working for me here.

Championship game of a tourney yesterday, 3 man crew. Banger play at first, with the throw off line. 1B stretches directly toward BU and just comes off making the catch. BU glances at me and lifts his foot off the ground. I hold my hands at my sides sticking outward (as if to say safe), he sees it and calls safe and sells it in normal tempo pointing at her foot - no one else in the park noticed anything other than BU making a great call on a tough play.