The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
No foul. I'm too worried about the principal of the defensive team's school launching a protest over my judgment.
That is really funny!
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 181174 View Post
You are right, I should have worded that better. Though if the horn goes off when the clock says 0.00 then I look at that as being the same thing. You are right though, we as officials have to know if the ball was released or still in the hand when the clock went to 0.00, we don't have the red light on the backboard at most schools I work here in Indiana so we do have to know by the clock not the horn or backboard light. Good point! my point is it's a hard call to explain to a coach if you are waving off the basket but still giving 2 shots for the foul, though if the shot is still in the hand when the clock reads 0.00 then that is the correct call.
Going to my earlier point though -- how can the clock expire if you blow your whistle before the clock expires? Sure the horn can sound but if you or your partners have knowledge of the clock, there has got to be some time left. Even if its .3 seconds.
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins View Post
Going to my earlier point though -- how can the clock expire if you blow your whistle before the clock expires? Sure the horn can sound but if you or your partners have knowledge of the clock, there has got to be some time left. Even if its .3 seconds.
This is the key. Definite knowledge is not simply knowing that the horn went off after the whistle, but rather exactly what the clock read when the whistle was blown, or what the time was when the official looked at it. It is not: "I'm definitely sure the horn went off after the whistle, so we need to put something back on the clock."

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
This is the key. Definite knowledge is not simply knowing that the horn went off after the whistle, but rather exactly what the clock read when the whistle was blown, or what the time was when the official looked at it. It is not: "I'm definitely sure the horn went off after the whistle, so we need to put something back on the clock."
I'd hope with a few seconds winding down the game, that one of my partners would be watching the clock pretty closely and thus have definite knowledge. Or at least in our theoretical scenario of proper execution, someone SHOULD be watching that clock.
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins View Post
I'd hope with a few seconds winding down the game, that one of my partners would be watching the clock pretty closely and thus have definite knowledge. Or at least in our theoretical scenario of proper execution, someone SHOULD be watching that clock.
Absolutley agree.

(Used with permission.)