The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 11:33am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Another one for newbies

NF rules. A1 begins his shooting motion. B1 fouls him on the arm. Before A1 can release the shot, the horn sounds ending the second period. A1 continues his motion and the shot goes in. Team A is not in the bonus. What's your call?
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 11:45am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

No foul. I'm too worried about the principal of the defensive team's school launching a protest over my judgment.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 11:49am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
No foul. I'm too worried about the principal of the defensive team's school launching a protest over my judgment.
I'm starting a petition against you anyway, just to be on the safe side.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Basket is good, shooting one free throw with the lane cleared. (4-41-1)
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins View Post
How can you count the basket when the ball is in the players hand when the horn goes off?
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 12:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What Did You Not Understand About "For Newbies" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins View Post
bradfordwilkins: 169 posts and you consider yourself a newbie? At least you were wrong, and we'll get a chance for a real newbie to win a prize off the top shelf.

Mark Padgett: If we don't get a correct answer by the end of the afternoon, can I play? I've got my eye on that big, blue, teddy bear on the top shelf. Please?

Speaking of post numbers, how many posts does one need before one becomes an esteemed Forum member?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 12:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Top Shelf Always Has The Best Prizes ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocDog249 View Post
How can you count the basket when the ball is in the players hand when the horn goes off?
Mark Padgett: LocDog249 has only 23 posts. I would consider him, or her, to be a newbie. Wouldn't you? But his, or her, answer is not complete. It's your thread, so it's your call. I say give him a prize from the bottom shelf, you know, one of those six inch stuffed animals, or one of those red plastic horms, or at least one of those six inch, black plastic, combs.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 22, 2009 at 12:39pm.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Mark Padgett: LocDog249 has only 23 posts. I would consider him, or her, to be a newbie. Wouldn't you?
I figured it was for newbie refs, not newbies to the forum. If you want I can answer it..... but I figured I would let newbie refs take a crack at it.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 12:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Speaking of post numbers, how many posts does one need before one becomes an esteemed Forum member?
Always one more than whatever you have.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 12:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Full Disclaimer ...

No purchase necessary, you cannot have won any other contest on The Forum within the last 30 days. One winner per household. Age restrictions may apply based on certain contests. Employees of Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., their subsidiaries, agencies and members of their immediate families are ineligible. Contestants are required to provide truthful information including photo identification and social security number. The Forum will reject and disqualify any entry it discovers to be false or fraudulent. Forum personnel will determine any and all judgments related to giveaway, all decisions final. The Forum is not responsible for disconnection regarding internet links. Unless noted, all prizes won must be obtained by picking them up at Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Howarth Lodge, 7 Reading Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7LR, United Kingdom, within 30 days of winning, or the prize becomes the property of The Forum. Winner's name, voice, and likeness may be used in any and all publicity relating to contest. Winner is responsible for federal, state and local taxes and any other associated charges and fees as described. Prizes are non-transferrable and non-exchangeable. Contest void where prohibited.

Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 12:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Lesson Learned For Life ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Always one more than whatever you have.
This reminds me of my seventh grade math teacher, Mr. Fiore. He had a classmate stand about six feet away from a wall, and instructed him to take one step, at half the distance to the wall, toward the wall. He then instructed him to take another step, at half the distance of the first step, toward the wall, and to continue this procedure until he reached the wall. That was back in 1966, and my classmate may still be there.

Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Do not count the basket. Ball was not released in time. However, since he started his motion, we will shoot foul shots with the lane cleared.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocDog249 View Post
Haha was just taking a wild guess assuming it was a trick question :-P

The language in 4-41-1 implies that the continuous motion does not end until the ball is in flight...

And if B1 impeded A1's ability to get the shot off in time (and A1 had begun their habitual motion).

Additionally, the clock theoretically stops at the whistle and thus there is time left on the clock when the whistle blows on contact before the horn. Depending on HOW much time was left on the clock when the shot was fired and if the official had definite knowledge of how much time was left. If so, time back on the clock (and no cleared lane...)
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 01:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What Do You Not Understand About the Word "Newbie" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Do not count the basket. Ball was not released in time. However, since he started his motion, we will shoot foul shots with the lane cleared.
Mark Padgett: I don't consider 301 posts to be a newbie, but it's your thread, and you're providing the prize.

Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mark Padgett: I don't consider 301 posts to be a newbie, but it's your thread, and you're providing the prize.
But, 300 of the posts were awful.