The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
NF rules. A1 begins his shooting motion. B1 fouls him on the arm. Before A1 can release the shot, the horn sounds ending the second period. A1 continues his motion and the shot goes in. Team A is not in the bonus. What's your call?
Which side of the international date line are we on?
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
This reminds me of my seventh grade math teacher, Mr. Fiore. He had a classmate stand about six feet away from a wall, and instructed him to take one step, at half the distance to the wall, toward the wall. He then instructed him to take another step, at half the distance of the first step, toward the wall, and to continue this procedure until he reached the wall. That was back in 1966, and my classmate may still be there.
Thank you, Zeno.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 10:16am
#thereferee99

for that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Thank you, Zeno.
.... pair of docs.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 10:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins View Post
Basket is good, shooting one free throw with the lane cleared. (4-41-1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocDog249 View Post
How can you count the basket when the ball is in the players hand when the horn goes off?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins View Post
Haha was just taking a wild guess assuming it was a trick question :-P

The language in 4-41-1 implies that the continuous motion does not end until the ball is in flight...

And if B1 impeded A1's ability to get the shot off in time (and A1 had begun their habitual motion).

Additionally, the clock theoretically stops at the whistle and thus there is time left on the clock when the whistle blows on contact before the horn. Depending on HOW much time was left on the clock when the shot was fired and if the official had definite knowledge of how much time was left. If so, time back on the clock (and no cleared lane...)

Locdog is close. With the removal of lag time, the answer to the question is, "It depends."

It depends if one of the officials looked at the clock after the whistle and saw any time on it.

If none of the officials see any time on the clock, then time has expired for the quarter and the basket cannot count. No basket, two free throws with the lane empty since time has expired.

If an official saw time, and the decision is made to put time back on the clock, then time has not expired, therefore the basket would count and one free throw with the lane occupied since there is time left.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 10:47am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
This reminds me of my seventh grade math teacher, Mr. Fiore. That was back in 1966, and my classmate may still be there.
In 1966, you were in 7th grade? Why, you're just a child. In Sept. 1966, I was starting my sophomore class - in college! Of course, I was only 17 - not kidding.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 10:49am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy View Post
Which side of the international date line are we on?
North.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 05:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior, What's Next If You Don't Graduate ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
In 1966, you were in 7th grade? Why, you're just a child.
I never told you how many times I was in seventh grade, or first grade, or third grade, or fourth grade, for that matter. The third year of kindergarten was the best. We switched from regular milk, to chocolate milk.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 05:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Loved That Show ...

Quote:
Thank you, Zeno.
You mean Zeno, the Warrior Princess?

http://ac4.yt-thm-a04.yimg.com/image/7322b4f9e1a795b4
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You mean Zeno, the Warrior Princess?
No, nor do I mean Zeno the Stoic. I mean Zeno of Elea, of course.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 04:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Just That I've Got A Lot Of Zenos In My Neighborhood ...

Quote:
Of course. How foolish of me to ask.

Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 06:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
I thought you meant this Zeno.

Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

This is my favorite Zeno of all

RoboKind ZENO
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Do not count the basket. Ball was not released in time. However, since he started his motion, we will shoot foul shots with the lane cleared.

Yes, this is the correct call. Just not the popular call with the coach, since he/she will not understand how you can wave off a basket but still give the shooter 2 shots for being in the act of shooting. I have made this call probably at least 10 times over the years and I have yet to have a coach understand how this could be. Not a popular call but the correct call. If fouled in the act of shooting but without releasing the ball before the horn goes off, you can't count the basket but have to give the offensive player 2 shots with the lane cleared to end the quarter or half in this instance.
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 09:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 181174 View Post
Yes, this is the correct call. Just not the popular call with the coach, since he/she will not understand how you can wave off a basket but still give the shooter 2 shots for being in the act of shooting. I have made this call probably at least 10 times over the years and I have yet to have a coach understand how this could be. Not a popular call but the correct call. If fouled in the act of shooting but without releasing the ball before the horn goes off, you can't count the basket but have to give the offensive player 2 shots with the lane cleared to end the quarter or half in this instance.
There is an exception to this. The rule says it doesn't count if it's not released before time expires. It does not say it doesn't count if it's not released before the horn sounds.
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
There is an exception to this. The rule says it doesn't count if it's not released before time expires. It does not say it doesn't count if it's not released before the horn sounds.
You are right, I should have worded that better. Though if the horn goes off when the clock says 0.00 then I look at that as being the same thing. You are right though, we as officials have to know if the ball was released or still in the hand when the clock went to 0.00, we don't have the red light on the backboard at most schools I work here in Indiana so we do have to know by the clock not the horn or backboard light. Good point! my point is it's a hard call to explain to a coach if you are waving off the basket but still giving 2 shots for the foul, though if the shot is still in the hand when the clock reads 0.00 then that is the correct call.