The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 01:58am
We don't rent pigs

Nevada-La Tech Correctable Error

Isn't the NCAA correctable error rule basically the same as NFHS? Tech was incorrectly awarded 1&1 in a 2 shot situation. Player missed the first. Nevada rebounded, went down and scored. Tech inbounded, crossed the division line and called timeout. After a lengthy delay, the Tech player was given his other free throw. Then Tech got the ball back, and according to the announcers, Tech was not charged with a timeout.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Isn't the NCAA correctable error rule basically the same as NFHS?

Yes, correctable errors are handled the same way as in NFHS.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sat Mar 14, 2009 at 11:54am.
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

I watched the game and Randy McCall got it right! I love when officials get together and come to the right conclusion! It showed this crew really where in charge and new their stuff.
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by co2ice View Post
I watched the game and Randy McCall got it right! I love when officials get together and come to the right conclusion! It showed this crew really where in charge and new their stuff.
While I agreee that they ultimately got it right I am sure they are kicking themselves for not being on top of the foul count and avoiding that situation all together.
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 10:45am
Lighten up, Francis.

I agree they got it right. Unrelated question: why in the world are LA Tech and Nevada in the same conference?
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 10:59am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Isn't the NCAA correctable error rule basically the same as NFHS? Tech was incorrectly awarded 1&1 in a 2 shot situation. Player missed the first. Nevada rebounded, went down and scored. Tech inbounded, crossed the division line and called timeout. After a lengthy delay, the Tech player was given his other free throw. Then Tech got the ball back, and according to the announcers, Tech was not charged with a timeout.
Okay, I hate to rain on the "they-got-it-right" parade, but isn't it too late once Tech inbounds the throwin following Nevada's basket?

In NFHS, it has to be corrected in the first dead ball after the clock has properly started.
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 11:02am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Okay, I hate to rain on the "they-got-it-right" parade, but isn't it too late once Tech inbounds the throwin following Nevada's basket?

In NFHS, it has to be corrected in the first dead ball after the clock has properly started.
I was in the middle of typing that up, Snaq.

2.10.2 Situation: B1 fouls A1. Team A is in the bonus, but the official erroneously awards the ball to Team A for a throw-in. A1's throw-in is intercepted by B1 who scores a goal. A1's throw-in is controlled by A2 who dribbles into Team A's midcourt and then asks for a timeout. During the timeout, the scorer advises the referee that Team A was in the bonus when B1 fouled A1. Ruling: It is too late to correct the error. The error could have been corrected any time during the dead ball following the goal by B1, as this was the first dead ball after the clock started following the error.

What is the difference in this and the OP?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yes, it's too late in both NCAA and NFHS; assuming the play was properly described.
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

I didn't see the game but I'm curious if the official scorer told the crew it was still 1 and 1 and not double-bonus; it has happened to me (and I'm sure some you) before.

If the table scorer did then the crew adjudicated this correctable error properly.
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
I didn't see the game but I'm curious if the official scorer told the crew it was still 1 and 1 and not double-bonus; it has happened to me (and I'm sure some you) before.

If the table scorer did then the crew adjudicated this correctable error properly.

Sorry partner but that makes no difference whatsoever.

Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Sorry partner but that makes no difference whatsoever.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if the table scorekeepr discovered it should've been a 2 shot foul (instead of 1 and 1) when the ball is in play then would the officials have until the 2nd live ball to correct the error?
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 12:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if the table scorekeepr discovered it should've been a 2 shot foul (instead of 1 and 1) when the ball is in play then would the officials have until the 2nd live ball to correct the error?
You asked.
The error must be corrected during the first dead ball after the clock has properly started following the error; not following the discovery. The error occurred with the clock stopped (on a free throw), so the error in this case needed to be corrected during the dead ball following the score off the rebound. That's the very brief time between the ball going through the basket and the new 5 second throwin count starting.
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In a way, yes, but we wouldn't describe it this way. As Snaqs said: correct it during the first dead ball after the clock has properly started.
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Consider yourself corrected.

It has nothing to do with what the scorer does. The error must be discovered by the first dead ball after the clock legally starts.

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sat Mar 14, 2009 at 12:49pm.
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You asked.
The error must be corrected during the first dead ball after the clock has properly started following the error; not following the discovery. The error occurred with the clock stopped (on a free throw), so the error in this case needed to be corrected during the dead ball following the score off the rebound. That's the very brief time between the ball going through the basket and the new 5 second throwin count starting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Consider yourself corrected.

It has nothing to do with what the scorer does. The error must be discovered by the first dead ball after the clock legally starts.
I appreciate the information. I agree with everything you both wrote and do not dispute it. Thanks.

The only place I am getting confused is from the 2008-09 NCAA Rulebook Pg 49 Rule 2 Section 12 Art 3.

Art. 3. When the officials’ error as in Rule 2-12.1 is made while the game
clock is running
and the ball is dead, it must be recognized and corrected by
an official before the second live ball to be correctable.

So let's go back to my original scenario: B1 is given an foul and the scorekeeper tells the official it is 1 and 1. A1 misses the first shot of the 1 and 1, B2 gets the rebound (clock now running) and proceeds to B's front court. The scorekeeper now realizes Team B has 10 team fouls and his error in not originally awarding the double-bonus for A1. Team B scores on a 2pt shot (dead ball #1). A1 receives the inbound pass A1 then calls a timeout (dead ball #2) when the scorekeeper advises the officials of the correctable error.

Since the error was discovered when the clock was running and was caught before the 2nd live ball, wouldn't this error still be correctable?

Thanks for your input.