Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Did they miss any plays?
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBall_Junkie View Post
Did they miss any plays?
That's not important. These rampant sleeves need to be dealt with.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 02:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Even if the officials did ignore the rule, who cares? If I recall it did not change the outcome or give a team a decided advantage. The only one that should care is the people that hired these officials or the NCAA Coordinator. And we have no idea if they care.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Or people sitting on their butts watching the game on TV have no clue whether an exception was granted for medical, religious, or other reasons. Said people simply want to jump to the conclusion that the officials are somehow messing up and lack some kind of character trait that said people seem to think they have an abundance of.

Go figure.
We each have our shortcomings.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I disagree that it's unclear. The way I read it, it's clearly legal in NFHS. The rule only stipulates the sleeves be the same length.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Yep. I actually looked this up during warm-ups at a game this season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie24 View Post
I thought the high school rule was crystal clear.
NFHS Forum: longsleeves
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 02:50am
Official Forum Member

Saw long sleeves again tonight in the MU/OU game. What's up with that?
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 09:12am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxbule View Post
Saw long sleeves again tonight in the MU/OU game. What's up with that?

What did the refs say?
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 09:13am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Nevada, I disagree with your reasoning. There are only three times I can justify disallowing something that is not specifically forbidden by the rules:

1. Safety is an issue.
2. An advantage is gained that is not intended by the rules.
3. It is unsporting.

None of these apply to long sleeves.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Nevada, I disagree with your reasoning. There are only three times I can justify disallowing something that is not specifically forbidden by the rules:

1. Safety is an issue.
2. An advantage is gained that is not intended by the rules.
3. It is unsporting.

None of these apply to long sleeves.
So without casebook play 3.5.6 Sit B you would obviously allow a player to wear tights.
It certainly seems inconsistent to me to ban tights, but allow a long-sleeve undershirt.

There's no point in us wasting our time debating this. I've posed it to the NFHS rules committee. We'll let them decide.

PS If you are referring to the historical aspect as "my reasoning," then I should point out that that came straight from an NFHS interp, not me.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 09:34pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
#21 Rasheem Barrett of Auburn is wearing a long-sleeve undershirt in tonight's game versus Alabama.

Auburn is wearing orange jerseys and shorts and the undershirt is also orange. It is the tight-fitting style made by under armour. In fact, I just spotted the under armour logo on it high on the back of the neck.
I noticed something similar in the Oklahoma/Oklahoma State game back in January: Oklahoma @ Oklahoma State Game

Long sleeved undershirt with a logo on the bicep. How hard is it to notice this when the guy comes on the court?
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 09:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I noticed something similar in the Oklahoma/Oklahoma State game back in January: Oklahoma @ Oklahoma State Game

Long sleeved undershirt with a logo on the bicep. How hard is it to notice this when the guy comes on the court?
Are you saying that the minute a player comes out onto the court, you are checking for every little issue that might make their uniform illegal?

I do not know about you, I do not do that. And certainly I am not looking for logos on their shirts or undershirts. Now if I see it I will address it, but it is not the first thing I am worried about. I do not think most officials are doing this either.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 06, 2009, 08:01am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Are you saying that the minute a player comes out onto the court, you are checking for every little issue that might make their uniform illegal?
No, but long sleeves should be obvious to everyone. Hard to miss when he comes out for the tap.
Old Fri Mar 06, 2009, 09:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
So without casebook play 3.5.6 Sit B you would obviously allow a player to wear tights.
It certainly seems inconsistent to me to ban tights, but allow a long-sleeve undershirt.

There's no point in us wasting our time debating this. I've posed it to the NFHS rules committee. We'll let them decide.

PS If you are referring to the historical aspect as "my reasoning," then I should point out that that came straight from an NFHS interp, not me.
I don't know that I disagree with so much as think mine trumps yours.
My understanding is that if it's not forbidden specifically, there needs to be a safety issue or an unfair advantage in order to justify banning it.

Therefore, in my opinion, unless the NFHS specifically adds a rule or case play on it, I'm letting it go.
Old Sat Mar 07, 2009, 12:54am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Any more inconsistent than to regulate the color of headbands but allow any color for a hair control device?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Mar 07, 2009, 07:02am
Esteemed Forum Member

Hot Women Love It When I Talk Legal Latin To Them ...

Quote:
So without casebook play 3.5.6 Sit B you would obviously allow a player to wear tights. It certainly seems inconsistent to me to ban tights, but allow a long-sleeve undershirt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Any more inconsistent than to regulate the color of headbands but allow any color for a hair control device?
How about this loophole? A player, with blue shorts, can, by rule, wear blue tights down to just above his knees. He can also wear the longest blue socks that the can find in a store, or even have long blue socks specially made by his grandmother, from the same material as the tights, above the level of his knees. The rules, other than a single reference to black socks worn by the officials, don't address socks. Ipso facto, legal full length tights.

3-5-6: Tights shall be a single solid color similar to the predominant color of the pants; the length shall be above the knee.

3.5.6 SITUATION B: A player, for religious reasons, may not wear shorts. Would he/she be able to wear tights under the basketball uniform shorts, warmups or a skirt instead of shorts? RULING: NFHS basketball uniform rules do not require that the uniform pants be "shorts." However, undergarments or tights may not be worn which extend below the pants, therefore wearing tights “below the uniform shorts” would be illegal. The player could wear long pants or a skirt as the uniform "bottom" and be in compliance. (3-4)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Mar 07, 2009 at 07:05am.