The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,901
Long-sleeve undershirt #21 Auburn

#21 Rasheem Barrett of Auburn is wearing a long-sleeve undershirt in tonight's game versus Alabama.

Auburn is wearing orange jerseys and shorts and the undershirt is also orange. It is the tight-fitting style made by under armour. In fact, I just spotted the under armour logo on it high on the back of the neck.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,901
RULE 3 Players, Substitutes and Player Equipment
Section 5. Uniforms
Art. 11. An undershirt is considered to be part of the game jersey and must be
a color similar to that of the game jersey. In addition, the sleeves and neckline
of undershirts shall be unaltered. (e.g., no cut-off sleeves or cut necklines) Both
sleeves shall be of the same length and not extend beyond the elbows. No logos,
decorations, trim, commemorative patches, lettering or numbering may be used
on an undershirt. An illegal undershirt shall not be worn.


RULE 3 Players, Substitutes and Player Equipment
Section 6. Uniforms—Logos, Labels, Trademarks
Art. 1. A single manufacturer’s or distributor’s normal logo, label or trademark
may be worn on the game pants, and all other items of apparel excluding the
game jersey and undershirt (e.g., warm-ups, socks, headbands, and wristbands).
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 12:15am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,342
Talking

What the big deal? I've seen a state high school (playoff championship) game where every girl on the team wore the shirt you described. Without corrections
__________________
truerookie
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 12:24am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post
What the big deal? I've seen a state high school (playoff championship) game where every girl on the team wore the shirt you described. Without corrections
At the moment the legality of a long-sleeve undershirt in NFHS play is unclear.

I spoke to the rep on the rules committee from my state about it last week during our state tournament.

However, there is no such ambiguity at the NCAA level. The rule is very specific.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 12:27am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 847
I know a couple players on Oklahoma wear the same kind of shirt
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 12:31am
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,144
Does it ever occur to anyone that maybe there are some players that are given a waiver for this kind of shirt? There have been times in the past where certain rules have been used by conferences to allow certain situations to take place. I have no idea, but I remember Candice Parker during the tournament last year wearing the same long sleeve undershirt and this was in the Final Four. Someone likely does not care for this rule or is giving exceptions to the rule.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 01:12am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,901
Or people are choosing to simply ignore it.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 01:21am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mizzouah!
Posts: 352
Didn't Candace Parker worn the Long Sleeve shirt and she had something wrong with her shoulder or something
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 01:37am
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by budjones05 View Post
Didn't Candace Parker worn the Long Sleeve shirt and she had something wrong with her shoulder or something
Yes she did. And I am wondering if that is the reason or similar reason why this player or players are wearing long sleeves. After all, conferences control a lot of regulations as to how things are done in their games. Wearing an undershirt is not a pressing game issue and does not affect the outcome of any game. Personally I do not get upset about these kinds of things. There is always more to a story than what some want to think there is.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 09:03am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,673
Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
At the moment the legality of a long-sleeve undershirt in NFHS play is unclear.

I spoke to the rep on the rules committee from my state about it last week during our state tournament.

However, there is no such ambiguity at the NCAA level. The rule is very specific.
I believe as long as the sleeves are the same length in NFHS, you can wear long sleeved undershirts and as long as they meet the other guidelines.
__________________
Score the Basket!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 09:32am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
At the moment the legality of a long-sleeve undershirt in NFHS play is unclear.

I spoke to the rep on the rules committee from my state about it last week during our state tournament.

However, there is no such ambiguity at the NCAA level. The rule is very specific.
I disagree that it's unclear. The way I read it, it's clearly legal in NFHS. The rule only stipulates the sleeves be the same length.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 09:52am
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 14,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I disagree that it's unclear. The way I read it, it's clearly legal in NFHS. The rule only stipulates the sleeves be the same length.
Yep. I actually looked this up during warm-ups at a game this season.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 10:56am
Esteemed Participant
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 4,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Or people are choosing to simply ignore it.
Or people sitting on their butts watching the game on TV have no clue whether an exception was granted for medical, religious, or other reasons. Said people simply want to jump to the conclusion that the officials are somehow messing up and lack some kind of character trait that said people seem to think they have an abundance of.

Go figure.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 96
I thought the high school rule was crystal clear.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 01:29pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,144
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Or people sitting on their butts watching the game on TV have no clue whether an exception was granted for medical, religious, or other reasons. Said people simply want to jump to the conclusion that the officials are somehow messing up and lack some kind of character trait that said people seem to think they have an abundance of.

Go figure.
Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Long Sleeve undershirt Bad Zebra Basketball 22 Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:33am
LSU/Auburn DesertZebra Football 4 Sun Sep 21, 2008 02:02pm
Parker's LONG sleeve undershirt in the Final Four Nevadaref Basketball 43 Tue Apr 15, 2008 07:11pm
Short Sleeve Jackets 3appleshigh Baseball 28 Wed Mar 21, 2007 09:19pm
Washburn's undershirt sleeve SanDiegoSteve Baseball 5 Sat Oct 15, 2005 04:23pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1