The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 20, 2008, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

LSU/Auburn

I've been watching the 2nd half of this game, and have already noticed the white hat give two incorrect signals. The first was a roughing the passer call, he gave the intentional grounding signal with his call on the mike. The second was an illegal substitution penalty, he almost gave the loss of down signal, and then switched it to illegal participation... which didn't fit the penalty still.

My question, since I've yet to get into college ball, are the signals in college the same as NFHS (all signals, not just the 2 mentioned here)?
Old Sat Sep 20, 2008, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA rules are mainly the same.

At the risk poaching your post, did anyone get a look at the LSU onside kick? Did the ball touch the ground and fly up into the air. If no, how was LSU able to catch it and get to keep it. Also, LSU advanced after catching it. Did the officials bring it back?
Old Sun Sep 21, 2008, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

I saw that and I’ve noticed this in NFL games. They signal IP and say IS all the time. Often they state 12 men on the field after either call. Stating that makes sense, but is that for the fans? Why do they do that? Is it in college / NFL rules?
Old Sun Sep 21, 2008, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat View Post
NCAA rules are mainly the same.

At the risk poaching your post, did anyone get a look at the LSU onside kick? Did the ball touch the ground and fly up into the air. If no, how was LSU able to catch it and get to keep it. Also, LSU advanced after catching it. Did the officials bring it back?
The ensuing LOS for LSU was ~ the LSU 41yrd line
Old Sun Sep 21, 2008, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

he referee signals are the same, it's just that they don't necessarily have the same meaning.
For example S18 for NFHS is encroachment for either side of the ball, whereas for NCAA it means the defense is offside. There are other very minor differences in the foul with S18 and S19. Also, S17 is only used by the NCAA as they have the uncatchable pass rule.

For kick plays, NF uses the words first touching but the NCAA uses illegal touching for the same act. Same signal S16 used.

(NCAA) The kicking team can catch a free kick in flight as long as it has gone ten yards and there is no receiving team member near the spot of the catch.
Ball dead at that point. 1/10 for the kicking team.
(NF) Cannot do the above. KCI no matter where a team R player is located