The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Long-sleeve undershirt #21 Auburn (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52050-long-sleeve-undershirt-21-auburn.html)

Nevadaref Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:02pm

Long-sleeve undershirt #21 Auburn

#21 Rasheem Barrett of Auburn is wearing a long-sleeve undershirt in tonight's game versus Alabama.

Auburn is wearing orange jerseys and shorts and the undershirt is also orange. It is the tight-fitting style made by under armour. In fact, I just spotted the under armour logo on it high on the back of the neck.

Nevadaref Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:59pm

RULE 3 Players, Substitutes and Player Equipment
Section 5. Uniforms
Art. 11. An undershirt is considered to be part of the game jersey and must be
a color similar to that of the game jersey. In addition, the sleeves and neckline
of undershirts shall be unaltered. (e.g., no cut-off sleeves or cut necklines) Both
sleeves shall be of the same length and not extend beyond the elbows. No logos,
decorations, trim, commemorative patches, lettering or numbering may be used
on an undershirt. An illegal undershirt shall not be worn.

RULE 3 Players, Substitutes and Player Equipment
Section 6. Uniforms—Logos, Labels, Trademarks
Art. 1. A single manufacturer’s or distributor’s normal logo, label or trademark
may be worn on the game pants, and all other items of apparel excluding the
game jersey and undershirt (e.g., warm-ups, socks, headbands, and wristbands).

truerookie Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:15am

What the big deal? I've seen a state high school (playoff championship) game where every girl on the team wore the shirt you described. Without corrections

Nevadaref Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie (Post 585224)
What the big deal? I've seen a state high school (playoff championship) game where every girl on the team wore the shirt you described. Without corrections

At the moment the legality of a long-sleeve undershirt in NFHS play is unclear.

I spoke to the rep on the rules committee from my state about it last week during our state tournament.

However, there is no such ambiguity at the NCAA level. The rule is very specific.

bas2456 Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:27am

I know a couple players on Oklahoma wear the same kind of shirt

JRutledge Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:31am

Does it ever occur to anyone that maybe there are some players that are given a waiver for this kind of shirt? There have been times in the past where certain rules have been used by conferences to allow certain situations to take place. I have no idea, but I remember Candice Parker during the tournament last year wearing the same long sleeve undershirt and this was in the Final Four. Someone likely does not care for this rule or is giving exceptions to the rule.

Peace

Nevadaref Wed Mar 04, 2009 01:12am

Or people are choosing to simply ignore it. :eek:

budjones05 Wed Mar 04, 2009 01:21am

Didn't Candace Parker worn the Long Sleeve shirt and she had something wrong with her shoulder or something

JRutledge Wed Mar 04, 2009 01:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by budjones05 (Post 585234)
Didn't Candace Parker worn the Long Sleeve shirt and she had something wrong with her shoulder or something

Yes she did. And I am wondering if that is the reason or similar reason why this player or players are wearing long sleeves. After all, conferences control a lot of regulations as to how things are done in their games. Wearing an undershirt is not a pressing game issue and does not affect the outcome of any game. Personally I do not get upset about these kinds of things. There is always more to a story than what some want to think there is.

Peace

IREFU2 Wed Mar 04, 2009 09:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 585228)

I spoke to the rep on the rules committee from my state about it last week during our state tournament.

However, there is no such ambiguity at the NCAA level. The rule is very specific.

I believe as long as the sleeves are the same length in NFHS, you can wear long sleeved undershirts and as long as they meet the other guidelines.

Adam Wed Mar 04, 2009 09:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 585228)

I disagree that it's unclear. The way I read it, it's clearly legal in NFHS. The rule only stipulates the sleeves be the same length.

Raymond Wed Mar 04, 2009 09:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 585287)
I disagree that it's unclear. The way I read it, it's clearly legal in NFHS. The rule only stipulates the sleeves be the same length.

Yep. I actually looked this up during warm-ups at a game this season.

rockyroad Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 585233)
Or people are choosing to simply ignore it. :eek:

Or people sitting on their butts watching the game on TV have no clue whether an exception was granted for medical, religious, or other reasons. Said people simply want to jump to the conclusion that the officials are somehow messing up and lack some kind of character trait that said people seem to think they have an abundance of.

Go figure.:cool:

Jimmie24 Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:35pm

I thought the high school rule was crystal clear.

JRutledge Wed Mar 04, 2009 01:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 585316)
Or people sitting on their butts watching the game on TV have no clue whether an exception was granted for medical, religious, or other reasons. Said people simply want to jump to the conclusion that the officials are somehow messing up and lack some kind of character trait that said people seem to think they have an abundance of.

Go figure.:cool:

Peace