The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Question Refresher Test Questions - putting time back on the clock?

There are a couple of questions on this year's refresher test that have the official putting time back on the clock due to an error of some sort. As far as I know, there is no provision for ever putting time back on the clock except when the clock was not properly stopped due to a timer's error and the official has definite knowledge of the correct time.

Are there any other conditions I'm not aware of that would allow an official to put time back on the clock?
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfp
There are a couple of questions on this year's refresher test that have the official putting time back on the clock due to an error of some sort. As far as I know, there is no provision for ever putting time back on the clock except when the clock was not properly stopped due to a timer's error and the official has definite knowledge of the correct time.

Are there any other conditions I'm not aware of that would allow an official to put time back on the clock?
Casebook 10.1.8
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfp

Quarter (or OT) starts with less than the required amount of time on the clock.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 11:02am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Quarter (or OT) starts with less than the required amount of time on the clock.
You can also take time off the clock if the OT starts with more than 4 minutes, can't you? You can only reduce it to 4, though, I think.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
You can also take time off the clock if the OT starts with more than 4 minutes, can't you? You can only reduce it to 4, though, I think.
Right -- if it's discovered while still showing more than 4 minutes, reduce to 4 minutes. Otherwise, leave it alone.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Right -- if it's discovered while still showing more than 4 minutes, reduce to 4 minutes. Otherwise, leave it alone.
If the OT starts with more than 4 minutes take your hand and smack it against your forehead....then take the extra time off...
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

did you all notice the case play (not sure if new, probably not and therefore probably this is rehashing old ground, but . . .) that says you have 12 seconds on the clock and you then have the time run out while the ball is still in the backcourt; seems like this would be the perfect opportunity to say, hey I know that there was 12 to start and you only get 10 in backcourt so I have definite knowledge to put 2 back; but caseplay says you cannot put it back; thoughts on how to understand that one?
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseball
did you all notice the case play (not sure if new, probably not and therefore probably this is rehashing old ground, but . . .) that says you have 12 seconds on the clock and you then have the time run out while the ball is still in the backcourt; seems like this would be the perfect opportunity to say, hey I know that there was 12 to start and you only get 10 in backcourt so I have definite knowledge to put 2 back; but caseplay says you cannot put it back; thoughts on how to understand that one?
Slow count???
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Yes.

The fed wants the official to keep the count, not rely on any clocks.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

what is wrong with relying on a clock in some situations? the fed seems to be going a bit overboard there. They can just tell me not rely on the clock and that is great but there can still be exceptions, like this one

I just cannot imagine trying to explain to a coach how I am not supposed to fix my mistake even though everyone in the gym can see that I screwed up;
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The clock and the 10 count don't necessarily start at the same time. The clock can start first and have time get below 10 before control is established.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
The clock and the 10 count don't necessarily start at the same time. The clock can start first and have time get below 10 before control is established.
that is definitely true, so I guess my question would be different; you note control in back court and the time on the clock is 12 at that point and then crazy stuff happens and you accidentally lose your count (i.e. you think team control is about to change or there is a lose ball and for whatever reason you lose the count); if I look up and see the clock at 2, I am going to blow that dead as a violation; hopefully I will never need to resort to that but much wackier stuff could happen
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
that is definitely true, so I guess my question would be different; you note control in back court and the time on the clock is 12 at that point and then crazy stuff happens and you accidentally lose your count (i.e. you think team control is about to change or there is a lose ball and for whatever reason you lose the count); if I look up and see the clock at 2, I am going to blow that dead as a violation; hopefully I will never need to resort to that but much wackier stuff could happen
I think several refs might do the same...doesn't mean it is approved procedure.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's just a missed call. It is not a timing error or a correctable error. The official missed it and that is the way it goes. There is no rules support for going back and fixing it.

What would you do in the same situation if any official clearly missed a travel in the backcourt? Would you instruct him to reset the clock and penalize this violation? That would silly.

Sorry, but it is just a missed call and that is why the NFHS says not to fix it.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Casebook 10.1.8
That's the exact situation the test is referring to, thanks. I don't see any rules justification for this, and I note that the casebook refers to it as a "specific unsporting act" requiring, I guess, a specific -- and unique -- treatment. I guess this is on the test to make sure we're reading the casebook end to end.