The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

With three seconds on the clock and a two point game, Team A is dribbiling down for a last second shot. A1 pulls up, behind the three point line, and shoots. A1 realese the ball, then horn sounds. As the horn sounds A1 is fouled. The referee calls the foul. The shot missed and A1 is awarded three free throws. A1 shoots two free throws and Team B requests a timeout prior to the third throw.

Is Team B allowed to take the timeout with NO time on the clock. Is this considered in between regulation and overtime, or is this still considered regulation. Thoughts please.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
It's still regulation. The quarter doesn't end until the last FT is shot.

I'm assuming A1 made one or both of the first two FTs. Otherwise A has no chance to win and the game is over.

Award B the timeout. However, B cannot call consecutive timeouts once time has expired.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Thats' what I see in the rules, but is the player allowed to shoot the second two even if there is no chance to win?

I assume yes.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mopar60
Thats' what I see in the rules, but is the player allowed to shoot the second two even if there is no chance to win?

I assume yes.
If the throw won't change the outcome of the game, don't shoot it.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 10:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by mopar60

I assume yes.
Down by two, no time left, three free throws coming.
He's at least getting two. If he makes either of those, he gets the third. If he misses both of his first two, no third shot. If they have a chance to win or tie, he shoots. If the deficit is greater than the number of free-throws remaining, game over. Go to the table, grab your jacket , watch the coach put a black mark around your name, listen to the girls' coach from the previous game tell her girls how bad you are, tell the losing coach what a tough game it was, and get out of Dodge.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 11:09pm
M.A.S.H.

Didn't we just got over this??? Maybe not.... anyways... 3 games left in my season this year
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 11:41pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

What's interesting about this is the follows:

The governing body for amateur basketball in Ontario is called Basketball Ontario. Every year, many centres host "sanctioned tournaments" which count towards Basketball Ontario standings and rankings. At the end of the basketball season, teams play in the Provincial finals, organized by the host city and Basketball Ontario.

The format for these sanctioned tournaments is a round-robin followed by single knockout. To break ties in the round-robin, points for and/or against are used. So, in the round-robin games, we actually have a tournament rule that all foul shots are to be taken, regardless if the win is already decided. The reason is that it may affect a team's points +/-.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Ok, I got that for single games.

Now, you are doing an AAU game which is part of a tourney that uses point differential as a tie breaker. I am letting them shoot, period.