The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 03:51am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsongamer View Post
I wouldn't think so, but I keep hearing the term "blarge" in reference to it. Like this video here: YouTube - Block Charge Play Seems like an obvious charging to me as the player was in a LGP, but no call?
This was a no call. What does it have to do with a blarge?

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 06:31am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Carsongamer - my $.02. First, welcome to the Forum and officiating!

As has been stated: read the rules and cases if you can get them, watch other games and officials and learn from them - good and bad, slow down, be confident and in charge, and have fun.

Now, that being said, don't get ahead of yourself. At these younger levels I have found if you start at and know the basics: specific league rules (press allowed?, mercy rule? zone defense allowed?), travel, double dribble, foul, jump ball, and 3-seconds you are off to a good start as these are where most of your calls are at this level. Also, work on where to stand and good mechanics and avoid bad habits.

Then, as you gain more experience worry about some of these tougher calls - blarge, jump stop, intentional foul, double fouls, etc.

As I always tell younger or inexperienced officials - blow the whistle loud, make the call with confidence, and put the ball in play. By doing this, the coaches and fans don't have time to think, question, protest, yap, etc. about the play they "think" you missed or got wrong. If you act with authority and look like you know what you're doing (dress for success helps), this can be a major step in winning the battle!

The Forum is certainly a great place to pickup good advice and guidance - welcome aboard and good luck!
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 09:42am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsongamer View Post
I wouldn't think so, but I keep hearing the term "blarge" in reference to it. Like this video here: YouTube - Block Charge Play Seems like an obvious charging to me as the player was in a LGP, but no call?
A blarge is a very specific play in which each official has a whistle and both immediately signal their call. If, on the same play, one official comes in signaling hard for a PC (charge) and the other comes in just as hard signaling a block, the rule says you go with the double foul. By rule, a "blarge" is otherwise impossible, but this resolution prevents other issues. And the threat of it probably prevents opposing calls in the first place.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
2. A coach going berserk in a youth game like this is going to be a quick T for me. Let him ask his question if he wants, but he does not get to yell at you and berate you for (what he thinks) missing a call.
I agree with Snaq but will amplify: coaches don't get to yell at you even if you did miss a call. Be careful how you handle it, though. At the first instance of yelling, tell the coach, "Coach, I'd be happy to listen to your question, but we're not going to yell today."

At the start of my second year, I blew a call. A1 goes up for a shot, B1 gets a hand on the ball, A1 comes down with it. Tweet! Travel, we're going the other way.

Well, crap, I thought, that should have been a held ball. The A coach is hollering: "that's a jump ball! that's a jump ball!" As I run past him, I nod and say, "You're right, coach, sorry."

He looked at me, started to say something, then just said, "Thank you." Didn't have a problem with him after that.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

what about calling a travel or 3s

Hey guys

thanks for the awesome tips.

I am a new referee as well.

i wonder if I am in doubt wether to call a charge or a block could I call a travel just for the sake of calling something?

thanks
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 12:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianH View Post
Hey guys

thanks for the awesome tips.

I am a new referee as well.

i wonder if I am in doubt wether to call a charge or a block could I call a travel just for the sake of calling something?

thanks
Ha!
Just work hard to make the right call.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Ha!
Just work hard to make the right call.
Yeah, I wouldn't "make up" a call just to have something since you are unsure of what you have, it will get you into more trouble than if you got the call wrong.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 01:02pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

thanks
If this is a serious question, you have adjustments to make.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Yes that is a serious question

If you are in doubt you don't want to punish someone for your mistakes.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes that is a serious question

If you are in doubt you don't want to punish someone for your mistakes.
Block/Charge is one of the hardest calls to make, especially for new officials because a lot of times it happens so quick. With time this call gets easier to make. Just know that you have 3 options, charge (player control), block or no call. Typically whatever call you make, the opposing team isn't going to like it so you will just have to learn to ignore it.

Blow the whistle, raise your hand in a fist, take a second to replay the situation in your mind then make the call with confidence.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Carsongamer,
I usually carry my rulebook & casebook from the previous year until I find a young official who wants them.
If you know any high school officials in your area, ask them if they have any books. There may be a minor change or two in a year-old book, but it will be good to get you going.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 01:38pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WreckRef View Post
Blow the whistle, raise your hand in a fist, take a second to replay the situation in your mind then make the call with confidence.
And put the ball in play!
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks a lot guys for your help
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks a lot guys for your help
christianH,
Keep trying to get better. The more experience you have, the more the game slows down.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalfan View Post
christianH,
Keep trying to get better. The more experience you have, the more the game slows down.
Definitely agree with that statement.

Only one time where it didn't. I used to officiate a men's league that was comprised of almost all former D1 (a lot only a few years removed), ex-Euro and ex-NBAers. That league was tough to keep up with, especially since it was 2 man. Games were typically in the 130's, 140's with a 22 minute running half clock.