View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Coaches generally don't know many of the rules. Especially for the levels that you are officiating. I work high school games, mostly JV but some varsity and I am working to move up.

-Learn the rules, you need to know them better than the coaches (that generally is easy)
-Take the test for your local association, many times that is a state association.
-Find a camp for the summer (one that is geared to new officials if there are any in your area, I would assume that there are.)
-Find a mentor, it can be someone that you work with one game but check with them to make sure that its ok if you call them for advice.
-Forget the fans, coaches, and players. YOU make the call. However, MAKE THE CALL, don't question yourself on the way over the table. Question yourself after its over, at a time out or after the game.
-Ask questions of those that have been there before. Most of us have been right where you are now. Few of us started at a higher level.
-finally as Willie said HAVE FUN!! most of us do not do this because of the money (thats not to say that we would do this for free) we don't get paid enough to not enjoy it.