View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Beginner Ref With Questions

Hey guys,

So i'm a first year ref, officiating 3rd,4th,5th and sometimes 6th grade. 3rd and 4th grade is pretty easy as alot of calls that aren't fouls are fairly easy to call. However, I had a terrible time with 5th and 6th grade reffing this past weekend so I thought I would ask.

As far as officiating itself goes, what do you do if your unsure of the immediate call but you need to report it? I had an incident this weekend where I(being a beginner ref) called a charge as team a was driving to the basket. I accidently started the block signal, then switched it. I mean it was hard to say, all in all I think a block call might of been a better call thinking back, but there were alot of people there, and I as well as my other ref was getting a lot of mouth from one of the coaches.

I called the charge and that couch just went insane. He wrote our names down at the end of the game, and reported us to our sup(who being as we were new, wasn't all too sympathetic to the coach). Anyways, how do you cope with feeling rushed by the fans and coaches with calls? I blow my whistle, but my new officiating mind still needs a second to think about what I saw, however the coach took it as unprofessional when I went to discuss it with the other ref.

Second, I had a few calls that I was a bit unsure of. A basic traveling call is obvious when a player is dribbling, stops his dribble, and walks. What about though when he falls? I know he can't get up, but what if just his knee touches? Does that player have to stay in that position until he releases the ball?

Also, whats the rule of offensive players and defensive players camping in the key? I did see offensive players(without ball) inthe key several times for quite a while, and same with defensive. Is defensive 3 second rule in play at this level? I know there is such a rule for the NBA.

How is a intential foul called and handled?

What about a technical? If it's on the coach, does he get thrown out with one or two?

I have done research but I am a bit confused so if you could clear this up for me that'd be great. Thanks,

Carson.