The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Questions

Assume NCAA Men's Rules:
1. When someone is fouled, and it is deemed to be an "intentional technical" foul. Can anyone shoot the free throws, or does the person fouled have to shoot them?

2. If a player fumbles the ball, leaves a designated spot to retrieve the fumble. Is this is a violation?

3. In a non-media game, Coach A appeals to the officials to rectify a correctable error. There was none. Team A has no 75's left, but one 30 left. Shall Team A be charged with a 30 second timeout?

4. The timer fails to stop the clock after a basket made in the last 59.9 seconds. The refs sees this and stops the clock. Can the substitutes enter?

5.Sub A6 enters the game to attempt the free throws for a Team B technical. After the last free throw A10 asks to replace A6, is this allowed?

6.A1 is injured and recieves treatment. Team B is granted a timeout. When the horn sounds to resume play, shall A1 be allowed to return to play.

7.On the initial jump ball, is the ball live as soon as the ref enters the circle.

8.After a score by Team B, A1 has disposal of the ball for a throw in. A1 starts a throw in to A2 but notices A2 is defensively guarded. While losing his balance, A1 passes the ball along the endline. A1's forward momentum carries him onto the playing court. A1 leaves the playing court, returns out-of-bounds and recovers the ball along the endline. Is this legal?

Any help is appreciated?
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

So you are taking your rules test, eh?
I'm know the answers, but am not going to take your test for you.

If you really want help understanding these questions, why don't you post what you think are the answers and why?

Some of them are spelled out directly in A.R.s in the NCAA rules book. Have you looked there?
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballreferee431
7.On the initial jump ball, is the ball live as soon as the ref enters the circle?
This one's so easy a caveman could answer it.

I don't have much of an appetite, thank you.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

I'm new, so I'll try, but with fed rules.
1 no
2 no
3 doesn't pertain
4 yes
5 no
6 no
7 no
8 no

Remember, I'm new to basketball officiating
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
So you are taking your rules test, eh?
I'm know the answers, but am not going to take your test for you.

If you really want help understanding these questions, why don't you post what you think are the answers and why?

Some of them are spelled out directly in A.R.s in the NCAA rules book. Have you looked there?
Sounds like the E-Officials test to me! What a way to start out with your first post!
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 08:34am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballreferee431
Assume NCAA Men's Rules:
1. When someone is fouled, and it is deemed to be an "intentional technical" foul. Can anyone shoot the free throws, or does the person fouled have to shoot them?
10-16-1.

Quote:
2. If a player fumbles the ball, leaves a designated spot to retrieve the fumble. Is this is a violation?
7-6-5. AR 163.

Quote:
3. In a non-media game, Coach A appeals to the officials to rectify a correctable error. There was none. Team A has no 75's left, but one 30 left. Shall Team A be charged with a 30 second timeout?
5-11-22

Quote:
4. The timer fails to stop the clock after a basket made in the last 59.9 seconds. The refs sees this and stops the clock. Can the substitutes enter?
5-9-11, 3-4-7

Quote:
5.Sub A6 enters the game to attempt the free throws for a Team B technical. After the last free throw A10 asks to replace A6, is this allowed?
3-4-12

Quote:
6.A1 is injured and recieves treatment. Team B is granted a timeout. When the horn sounds to resume play, shall A1 be allowed to return to play.
3-4-15, AR 59

Quote:
7.On the initial jump ball, is the ball live as soon as the ref enters the circle.
Come on. 6-1-4a

Quote:
8.After a score by Team B, A1 has disposal of the ball for a throw in. A1 starts a throw in to A2 but notices A2 is defensively guarded. While losing his balance, A1 passes the ball along the endline. A1's forward momentum carries him onto the playing court. A1 leaves the playing court, returns out-of-bounds and recovers the ball along the endline. Is this legal?
AR 155, new this year.

To be honest, most of these are VERY basic questions. I've done half the work for you, though I don't really know why. You should at least be able to look them up now.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 08:52am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1

To be honest, most of these are VERY basic questions. I've done half the work for you, though I don't really know why. You should at least be able to look them up now.
Good job, Scrapper. You're trying to teach him the proper way to learn.That's a refreshing change from the constant whine at this time of the year of "Can some one send me the exam and answers?".
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 09:01am
MABO Member

Are you sure about #5. What if A10 is another player other than the one A6 subbed in for.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 09:03am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
This one's so easy a caveman could answer it.

I don't have much of an appetite, thank you.
Looks like somebody got up on the wrong side of the rock this morning!
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 09:07am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
Are you sure about #5. What if A10 is another player other than the one A6 subbed in for.
I'm pretty sure that A10 is not the player who was just subbed out when A6 came in. I'm also pretty sure that 3-4-12 is the only rule that addresses when it is NOT ok for a sub to come back in/out. The question is not asking if it's ok for A10 to enter the game; it's asking if it's ok for A6 to come back out of the game without the clock moving.

If 3-4-12 says that A6 can't come back out, then he can't. If 3-4-12 doesn't say that A6 can't come back out, then he can.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 09:12am
MABO Member

You better re-read that rule. I am pretty sure it is saying the substituted player can not re-enter the game without the clock having run.

Rule 3-4 Art. 12. A player who has been withdrawn or replaced by a substitute may re-enter the game at the next opportunity to substitute, provided that the game clock has been properly started with his or her replacement in the game.

What about Art. 13, I know the reference is about an injury but it has application here as well.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.

Last edited by SmokeEater; Thu Nov 16, 2006 at 09:53am.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 09:39am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
You better re-read that rule. I am pretty sure it is saying the substituted player can not re-enter the game without the clock having run.

Rule 3-4 Art. 12. A player who has been withdrawn or replaced by a substitute may re-enter the game at the next opportunity to substitute, provided that the game clock has been properly started with his or her replacement in the game.

What about Art. 13, I know the reference is about an injury but it has reference here as well.
My bad Smoke, I didn't read the post to which you were responding. I retract my original response to you.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Nov 16, 2006 at 09:57am.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 09:40am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Right. But the question is asking if A6 can come BACK out of the game. The only rule that addresses coming BACK into or out of the game is the one I referenced.

Now, does that rule prohibit A6 from exiting the game? There's your answer to the question.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 09:43am
MABO Member

I know, even still to keep discussion and learning going. It doesn't matter who A6 subbed in for as long as that same player is not subing back in before the clock runs.
I remember this being discussed before either here or in another forum that A6 can be subbed for again during the initial dead ball.

Last edited by SmokeEater; Thu Nov 16, 2006 at 09:49am.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 09:51am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Right. But the question is asking if A6 can come BACK out of the game. The only rule that addresses coming BACK into or out of the game is the one I referenced.

Now, does that rule prohibit A6 from exiting the game? There's your answer to the question.

Art. 13. A player who legally enters the game during a dead ball may leave
the game during that same dead-ball period without penalty.

Last edited by SmokeEater; Thu Nov 16, 2006 at 09:55am.