The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Player control is required in requesting a time-out.
He has total player control ........he's in the semi circle, can sit on it, do a hand stand, dribble it with two hands, it's his little world for 10 seconds as long as he stays 'home'
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
He has total player control ........he's in the semi circle, can sit on it, do a hand stand, dribble it with two hands, it's his little world for 10 seconds as long as he stays 'home'
I was assuming the ball left the semi-circle.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 11:44am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Okay, case play 9.1.1 indicates the official should blow it dead and readminister even if the player "accidentally drops the ball." I'm still looking.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Yes in my original question, the ball is lost outside of the semi-circle, I realize they can do whatever they want with the ball in the circle.

The player has limited options on what to do once they lose the ball, go chase the ball--violation, let the 10 seconds expire--violation, call time out---violation???

My partner just said he may have seen it in Referee magazine, not the case book. I told him I cant find it specifically in the case book. Or possibly it couldve been in an older casebook since they do change them every so often?~~~
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheske44 View Post
Yes in my original question, the ball is lost outside of the semi-circle, I realize they can do whatever they want with the ball in the circle.

The player has limited options on what to do once they lose the ball, go chase the ball--violation, let the 10 seconds expire--violation, call time out---violation???

My partner just said he may have seen it in Referee magazine, not the case book. I told him I cant find it specifically in the case book. Or possibly it couldve been in an older casebook since they do change them every so often?~~~
The official should not grant the time-out request as it was made at an improper time. Per 5-8-3 the ball must be dead, a player from the team must have control, or the ball must be at the disposal of the requesting team. After the free-thrower loses the ball none of those conditions exist.

As others have noted, there is a new casebook ruling this season which states that the free-thrower violates if he loses the ball in a manner such that he cannot regain control of it without leaving the semi-circle.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 05:18am
Official Forum Member

So the answer to the original question is, "No. The coach can't 'buy out' of a violation." Not even an arcane, little-understood violation such as this one.

So the appropriate sequence would be:

ref bounces ball to shooter
shooter catches, adjusts feet, dribbles, bounce it away
coach yells, "Time Out!!"
ref whistles, signals violation
ref turns to coach and asks, "Do you still want the TO?"

Is that correct?
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 07:38am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
So the answer to the original question is, "No. The coach can't 'buy out' of a violation." Not even an arcane, little-understood violation such as this one.

So the appropriate sequence would be:

ref bounces ball to shooter
shooter catches, adjusts feet, dribbles, bounce it away
coach yells, "Time Out!!"
ref whistles, signals violation
ref turns to coach and asks, "Do you still want the TO?"

Is that correct?
If I was being evaluated, and I used the procedure you did, I would expect a checkmark!

(Assuming you left out the part where the official voices how many shots are left, since that part of the situation was understood.)
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
As others have noted, there is a new casebook ruling this season which states that the free-thrower violates if he loses the ball in a manner such that he cannot regain control of it without leaving the semi-circle.
How about if defender gives player the ball back ?
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
How about if defender gives player the ball back ?
A free-throw violation shall be called immediately when the free thrower looses/deflects the ball out of the semi circle.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 09:33am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The official should not grant the time-out request as it was made at an improper time. Per 5-8-3 the ball must be dead, a player from the team must have control, or the ball must be at the disposal of the requesting team. After the free-thrower loses the ball none of those conditions exist.
Really? I wasn't aware of a rule that said "at the disposal of" ends if the free-thrower loses control. Is this also true on a throw-in?

A1 has the ball for a throw-in, starts to pass and thinks twice. He fumbles it away, still OOB, but out of his 3 foot spot. Is it still at his disposal? Can they request a TO?

What about an endline throw-in?
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Really? I wasn't aware of a rule that said "at the disposal of" ends if the free-thrower loses control. Is this also true on a throw-in?
That is the basic point of the new case play ruling. If the FTer can no longer reach the ball, then it's clearly not at his disposal. If he sets it down within the semi-circle, then that's okay.

Quote:
A1 has the ball for a throw-in, starts to pass and thinks twice. He fumbles it away, still OOB, but out of his 3 foot spot. Is it still at his disposal? Can they request a TO?
If the ball goes out of his three-foot spot, he can't go get it without violating, so it's no longer at his disposal. No disposal = no time-out.

Quote:
What about an endline throw-in?
I have maintained that if the ball is somewhere that the player is allowed, then it's at his disposal. So anywhere behind the end line is ok in this case.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 12:09pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Okay, case play 9.1.1 indicates the official should blow it dead and readminister even if the player "accidentally drops the ball." I'm still looking.

That's a. Look at b.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 12:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
That's a. Look at b.
That's it, thanks. I was looking at last year's case book, which is slightly different. Last year's said he just dropped it after having it, and both situations called for a re-set.

This year's says to call the violation if he dribbles it off his foot into the lane.

At first glance, I don't like this case play. However, all the defense would have to do to ensure the violation is grab the ball and toss it OOB; even if they had to step in the lane to intercept a pass from an offensive player in his lane space, a double violation on a free throw penalizes the offense rather than the defense.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 08:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Do not bend, fold, mutilate, or spindle.

*9.1.1 SITUATION: A1, at the free-throw line to attempt a free throw: (a) muffs the pass from the official and it rolls forward; or (b) while performing his/her habitual dribbles prior to the release, accidentally allows the ball to deflect off his/her foot into the lane. RULING: In (a), the official should sound the whistle to prevent any violations and then start the free throw procedure again. No freethrow violation should be called in this situation. In (b), a free-throw violation shall be called on A1. (9-1-3a, e)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
*9.1.1 SITUATION: A1, at the free-throw line to attempt a free throw: (a) muffs the pass from the official and it rolls forward; or (b) while performing his/her habitual dribbles prior to the release, accidentally allows the ball to deflect off his/her foot into the lane. RULING: In (a), the official should sound the whistle to prevent any violations and then start the free throw procedure again. No freethrow violation should be called in this situation. In (b), a free-throw violation shall be called on A1. (9-1-3a, e)
In light of this new case play, I withdraw post #2 of this thread.