View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheske44 View Post
Yes in my original question, the ball is lost outside of the semi-circle, I realize they can do whatever they want with the ball in the circle.

The player has limited options on what to do once they lose the ball, go chase the ball--violation, let the 10 seconds expire--violation, call time out---violation???

My partner just said he may have seen it in Referee magazine, not the case book. I told him I cant find it specifically in the case book. Or possibly it couldve been in an older casebook since they do change them every so often?~~~
The official should not grant the time-out request as it was made at an improper time. Per 5-8-3 the ball must be dead, a player from the team must have control, or the ball must be at the disposal of the requesting team. After the free-thrower loses the ball none of those conditions exist.

As others have noted, there is a new casebook ruling this season which states that the free-thrower violates if he loses the ball in a manner such that he cannot regain control of it without leaving the semi-circle.