The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

8th Grade girls A game - 3rd Report

I keep the stats for my daughters 8th grade A team games.

A few happenings of note.
1) Home game. 1st Quarter, 2 minutes to go, 1+1 sitch. 1st misses with lane violation. Second effort at the 1st shot goes in, B takes ball oob and away they go. I realize they didn't shoot the second free throw and try to politely alert the official running up the court. I am in the first row of the stands and am really just another fan to the official. And she has the game going on as opposed to stopping to chit chat with me. I am also across the floor from the teams and table. I try to let the coach know, again trying not to make a spectacle of myself. At this point I realize the time frame for the correctable error is gone. (While typing this I am thinking to myself that not giving a free throw does not fall under the CE. Hopefully someone will provide an answer for me).
At the beginning of the 2nd Qtr. the official spoke to me briefly as I set at midcourt, acknowledging the mistake. My response was, "If that is the worse thing that happens, it will still be a good game." I am stlightly irritated at the HOME table as they should have caught it.

2)In the 3rd Qtr., iWhile B is advancing the ball near mid-court following the 2nd free throw of a 1+1, the coach loudly announces there is still the second shot to shoot. Officials stop play. Coach sternly admonishes her girls to get back there for the second freethrow. The official took a second look at the coach and realized she wasn't addressing him. Officials then realize "We did shoot both free throws." Coach sheepishly bows her head and appologizes to all.

The Officials
Not the same crew as my previous posts.
One official (Him), the R I presume, was new to me. The other official (Her) I had seen before, but paired with a "rookie to organized officiating" official. Her looked much better paired with this stronger official. Him is looking to move up. He was ready to switch as required, which threw her off a little. It was really amazing how much better she appeared when paired with a stronger official.

I am going to Waco, Tx to watch Kansas vs. Baylor on the 2nd. I will post if there is anything of note.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 10:55am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
I keep the stats for my daughters 8th grade A team games.

A few happenings of note.
1) Home game. 1st Quarter, 2 minutes to go, 1+1 sitch. 1st misses with lane violation. Second effort at the 1st shot goes in, B takes ball oob and away they go. I realize they didn't shoot the second free throw and try to politely alert the official running up the court. I am in the first row of the stands and am really just another fan to the official. And she has the game going on as opposed to stopping to chit chat with me. I am also across the floor from the teams and table. I try to let the coach know, again trying not to make a spectacle of myself. At this point I realize the time frame for the correctable error is gone. (While typing this I am thinking to myself that not giving a free throw does not fall under the CE. Hopefully someone will provide an answer for me).
Not awarding a merited free throw is a correctable error! But if, as you said, the time frame to correct the error is gone, there is nothing you can do now about correcting that incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
At the beginning of the 2nd Qtr. the official spoke to me briefly as I set at midcourt, acknowledging the mistake. My response was, "If that is the worse thing that happens, it will still be a good game." I am stlightly irritated at the HOME table as they should have caught it.
I love a table that is on the ball! Some kids do see the big picture.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Not awarding a merited free throw is a correctable error! But if, as you said, the time frame to correct the error is gone, there is nothing you can do now about correcting that incident.

I love a table that is on the ball! Some kids do see the big picture.
The table crew consisted of the Girls B team coach and one of the boys coaches.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

The failure to award a merited FT is an error that is correctable until the ball becomes alive following the first dead ball after the incident. In other words, B threw the ball in and was advancing it. At the next whistle, the error could have been corrected. If it wasn't by that time, once the ball was thrown in again, or rebounded after a missed FT, it would have been too late. An alert table would have sounded the horn while the ball was in play, assuming it didn't interrupt a scoring chance, and the error could have been corrected.

BTW, in our school system, the "table" at a JH/MS game consists of one JH kid who usually doesn't start the clock on time, doesn't keep track of team fouls, doesn't keep track of the possession arrow and has a tough time handling just the clock and score correctly. The scorebook is kept by a kid or coach at the bench. Not a very good officiating environment.

Last edited by Forksref; Sat Jan 31, 2009 at 08:27am.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 09:44am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
The failure to award a merited FT is an error that is correctable until the ball becomes alive following the first dead ball after the incident...... At the next whistle, the error could have been corrected.
Not necessarily......

The ball becomes dead after a made basket. The error cannot be corrected after the ball becomes live following that made basket. The next whistle may be too late.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 11:53am
#thereferee99

nits are picked...

Quote:
The failure to award a merited FT is an error that is correctable until the ball becomes alive following the first dead ball after the incident. In other words, B threw the ball in and was advancing it. At the next whistle, the error could have been corrected. If it wasn't by that time, once the ball was thrown in again, or rebounded after a missed FT, it would have been too late. An alert table would have sounded the horn while the ball was in play, assuming it didn't interrupt a scoring chance, and the error could have been corrected.
It would be too late once the ball "became live" just prior to your two instances. It would have been live prior once at the disposal of the thrower prior to "thrown in again", and live at the disposal of the shooter prior to "rebounded after a missed FT". Nits picked.

Quote:
BTW, in our school system, the "table" at a JH/MS game consists of one JH kid who usually doesn't start the clock on time, doesn't keep track of team fouls, doesn't keep track of the possession arrow and has a tough time handling just the clock and score correctly. The scorebook is kept by a kid or coach at the bench. Not a very good officiating environment.
Oh I hear ya bruddah! I hear ya!
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 12:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The failure to award a merited FT is an error that is correctable until the ball becomes alive following the first dead ball after the incident. In other words, B threw the ball in and was advancing it. At the next whistle, the error could have been corrected. If it wasn't by that time, once the ball was thrown in again, or rebounded after a missed FT, it would have been too late.
You are aware that the ball becomes live when the free throw shooter or thrower get the ball, right?
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The failure to award a merited FT is an error that is correctable until the ball becomes alive following the first dead ball after the incident.

... and after the clock has properly started.