The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

'T' not warranted???

I'll make this short. I was not a witness to this but a good friend was part of the 3 man crew and he shared with me.

Freshman game, 1st game of a triple header, and the 'Home' boys go to the lockerroom for a last minute chat before the opening tip. After the boys left a few 'Home' JV boys go out onto the floor and do a little shooting. One guy decides to dunk the ball. Here is where it gets interesting. One official puts air to his whistle and reports a 'T' will be issued to the home team. Now when the freshman come back out the coach is informed that he has received a 'T' and that he has lost his box. The game begins with 2 freethrows and the ball is awarded to the Visitors. Home team gets the arrow. Coach is irate all game and then asks the referee who issued the 'T' if the number in the book is correct because he is going to report him to the MHSAA. Has this ever occurred before? I was looking thru the books and came up empty. I have a game with this official next week. I want to make sure we are on the same page.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

No rulebook in front of me but I think the T was a mistake. Its limited to players in the game. The JV boy was not in the scorebook (I assume) so he does not fall under the "no dunking" rule.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 02:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

There's mixed feelings on this, IMS. Players should know better, and if they're on the court during intermission or pregame, you can make an argument that they can be T'd. I just tell them to knock it off.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Honestly, I think calls like this will seriously curttail your career development as an official.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 02:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Honestly, I think calls like this will seriously curttail your career development as an official.
Maybe where you are, and maybe where I am. I just don't think you can make this blanket statement about every area.

We had GM come ask us during a game last week if it was a T if the varsity guys were dunking during half-time of the JV game. We told her to tell them to cut it out before we got out there. I walked up to one of the varsity guys when we got out there and told him to tell his teammates not to dunk or they'd risk a T for the JV team.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 02:56pm
#thereferee99

This is a Player Technical Foul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's a walk View Post
I'll make this short. I was not a witness to this but a good friend was part of the 3 man crew and he shared with me.

Freshman game, 1st game of a triple header, and the 'Home' boys go to the lockerroom for a last minute chat before the opening tip. After the boys left a few 'Home' JV boys go out onto the floor and do a little shooting. One guy decides to dunk the ball. Here is where it gets interesting. One official puts air to his whistle and reports a 'T' will be issued to the home team. Now when the freshman come back out the coach is informed that he has received a 'T' and that he has lost his box. The game begins with 2 freethrows and the ball is awarded to the Visitors. Home team gets the arrow. Coach is irate all game and then asks the referee who issued the 'T' if the number in the book is correct because he is going to report him to the MHSAA. Has this ever occurred before? I was looking thru the books and came up empty. I have a game with this official next week. I want to make sure we are on the same page.
... er, uh, which player again??
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Could an official call a technical for a situation like this? Umm...Yeah, I'm sure you could find a way. Should an official call a technical for a situation like this? Probably not. Get game management to clear the non-participants off the floor.

-Josh
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The officials have jurisdiction, now that they are on the floor. Do not allow anyone to warm-up but the teams who are about to start the game.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe JV players were also members of the pep squad, and they were doing a pre-game/half-time exhibition that included dunking a la the Phoenix Suns Gorilla?
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

I had this situation a couple weeks ago. I just told them: "hey, stay off the rim." They said, "yes, sir."
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
The officials have jurisdiction, now that they are on the floor. Do not allow anyone to warm-up but the teams who are about to start the game.
I have seen this type of thing more this season than in the past. Generally, I have seen it during halftime of the JV game while both teams and the officials are in the locker room for half time. I know that a Southern Ohio official indicated that this is a common practice.

The rules indicate that a technical foul is to be called if a PLAYER dunks the ball. As Referee99 indicated, since the varsity player is NOT a PLAYER in the Freshmen or JV game, a technical foul cannot properly be called by rule.

As was pointed out in a similar thread on a different forum, what happens if a former player comes out of the stands and dunks the ball? Is that a technical foul?

I would suggest ensuring that game management keeps the players off the floor IF you don't want a non-player dunking the ball while you are on the floor or not on the floor. I suggest you call a technical foul when a PLAYER (a person with a name and number listed in the scorebook) dunks the ball other than during the game.

This situation is not specifically mentioned in the rules book or case book.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

I dont understand why anyone cares about this? I usually dont go looking for more crap to add more stink to anything I am involved with.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

The most sensible thing

Be proactive....
Have GM kick them off before it escalates.

Order them off the court yourself (Give them the "Hairy Eyeball," if they delay their departure.)

I find it very difficult to justify a "T" in this situation.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 10:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Hey Guys, Please Get Off The Court Or I'm Getting The Site Director" ...

Quote:
One guy decides to dunk the ball. Here is where it gets interesting. One official puts air to his whistle and reports a 'T' will be issued to the home team.
And if his partner dunked during this time, he could penalize his partner with a technical foul, hell, make it a flagrant technical foul, and sit him down too. Then he'd be left alone to work the game, and make as many crazy calls as he wanted to.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
And if his partner dunked during this time, he could penalize his partner with a technical foul, hell, make it a flagrant technical foul, and sit him down too. Then he'd be left alone to work the game, and make as many crazy calls as he wanted to.
if he assessed his partner with a Technical, does that mean that he gets to shoot the free throws? or since it's usually refs v. crowd, does an upstanding citizen from the peanut gallery get to shoot the throws? that'd make for an entertaining score on the evening news:

home 42 visitor 33

crowd 2 refs 0 (unless you're counting correct calls as points and bad calls as negative points, in which case its probably refs 53 crowd -200)