The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

watching the finals of championship tourney this past weekend..4000 people in the stands.
A1 has 2 shots coming after a shooting foul, A1 shots first shot and misses, B2 rebounds turns outlets everyone is getting back on defense, referees are right with them, no one says a word...team B scores, team A takes ball out of bounds comes down the court sets up offense, BUZZ, table now informs ref that they didn't shoot the 2nd shot about :54 seconds ago....

the crew got together, they took the 2 pts that team b scored off the board, went back and lined everyone back up and shot the 2nd freethrow and continued game from there...

What should of been the correct way to handle this??
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
watching the finals of championship tourney this past weekend..4000 people in the stands.
A1 has 2 shots coming after a shooting foul, A1 shots first shot and misses, B2 rebounds turns outlets everyone is getting back on defense, referees are right with them, no one says a word...team B scores, team A takes ball out of bounds comes down the court sets up offense, BUZZ, table now informs ref that they didn't shoot the 2nd shot about :54 seconds ago....

the crew got together, they took the 2 pts that team b scored off the board, went back and lined everyone back up and shot the 2nd freethrow and continued game from there...

Can't be corrected not recognized before dead ball. Ball became live after made basket when the ball was inbounded.

[Edited by gordon30307 on Jan 12th, 2005 at 10:21 AM]
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

continue from POI

The only thing they got right was shooting the free throw. It should have been shot with the lane clear, and resumed from the point of interuption because there had been a change of possession, and they should have left the points b scored on the board...
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Score 2 for team B. A's ball OOB at POI.

For a correctable error, the error would have needed to be discovered before the ball became live after it became dead after B's goal. Once A inbounded the ball, it is too late to correct.

I think I got that right. See Case 2.10.1 b
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

I had similar situation last night. Double bonus and after first shot defense (Team B) gets rebound and play continues (for some reason we didn't catch it but that's a topic for a different post). So about 5 seconds goes off clock and now the team B is fouled and we are going to shoot bonus at other end. Error is recognized...so we corrected it and let Team A shoot the 2nd of their shots with no one in the lane. We then went to the other end and had Team B shoot their bonus free throws (point of interruption).

Needless to say team A coach was furious and wanted everything wiped off. I think we got it right but looking for some assurance...because this was not awarding a merited free throw and there was a change of possession I believe everything should be counted (fouls and time off clock). Impressions?
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

couldn't believe this was messed up so badly, this game was on television here in our area and the 3 guys that were there acted like they didn't want to even be there, they weren't in the game at all! I just thought to myself, when they took the points off the board, "this can't be really happening"... i talked to them later and they said they didn't realize the dead ball live ball was actually when the ball went thru the basket and then was thrown in!!!
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

wow yep I agree with above

yeah I screwed up my original post, it is not correctable...I guess I would like to see the federation change that wording, to before the second dead ball maybe...but until they do, nothing about what they did was correct LOL..
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

too late

Quote:

1] the crew got together -- Good, right thing to do
2] they took the 2 pts that team b scored off the board --
wrong Rule 2-10-5 "Rule 2 Section 10 Article 5 . . . Points scored, consumed time and additional activity, which may occur prior to the recognition of an error, shall not be nullified. Errors because of free-throw attempts by the wrong player or at the wrong basket shall be corrected by applying 8-1 and 2.

3] went back and lined everyone back up and shot the 2nd freethrow and continued game from there oops, too late to fix this correctable error ART. 2 . . . In order to correct any of the officials' errors listed in Article 1, such error must be recognized by an official during the first dead ball after the clock has properly started.
clock started on the missed free throw rebounded by B; the ball became dead on made basket -- error needs to be recognized before ball is picked up by A to inbound

4] went back and lined everyone back up and shot the 2nd freethrow and continued game from there... same oops as #3 above

Now philosophical Question is the awarding of the additional free throw, that came from "fixing" the correctable error now correctable?

Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Re: wow yep I agree with above

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
yeah I screwed up my original post, it is not correctable...I guess I would like to see the federation change that wording, to before the second dead ball maybe...but until they do, nothing about what they did was correct LOL..

Just curious. I assume this was a high school holiday tourney of some sort? With three man I'm surprised that one of the crew didn't know the rule. However 4,000 people in the stands, TV coverage lots of pressure if you're not used to it I can understand how one could have a brain cramp under the circumstances.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

was annual WYMT TV tourney that picks the best 8 teams in the surrounding 3 regions to play in it every year...pretty good tourney....these guys are average officials that probably shouldn't of been in a game of this caliber, one is the assignors son and that is all that needs to be said about that!!!! politics rules here, like most places..but the crowd and situation they were in was probably a lot to do with not thinking the rule thru, i would hope anyways...
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

after A1 missed first free throw and B1 has rebounded and taken the ball into thier front court can officials stop the clock and let A1 shoot the second free throw with players in the lane?
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

yes.. i believe! I'm pretty sure even after team B would score, but before team A brought the ball in it could still be corrected!!!!
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 05:58am
Official Forum Member

Re: too late

Quote:
Originally posted by golfdesigner
Quote:

1] the crew got together -- Good, right thing to do
2] they took the 2 pts that team b scored off the board --
wrong Rule 2-10-5 "Rule 2 Section 10 Article 5 . . . Points scored, consumed time and additional activity, which may occur prior to the recognition of an error, shall not be nullified. Errors because of free-throw attempts by the wrong player or at the wrong basket shall be corrected by applying 8-1 and 2.

3] went back and lined everyone back up and shot the 2nd freethrow and continued game from there oops, too late to fix this correctable error ART. 2 . . . In order to correct any of the officials' errors listed in Article 1, such error must be recognized by an official during the first dead ball after the clock has properly started.
clock started on the missed free throw rebounded by B; the ball became dead on made basket -- error needs to be recognized before ball is picked up by A to inbound

4] went back and lined everyone back up and shot the 2nd freethrow and continued game from there... same oops as #3 above

Now philosophical Question is the awarding of the additional free throw, that came from "fixing" the correctable error now correctable?

Great response gd.
Also, I'm answering yes to your final question. That FT is now UNmerited and subject to the normal 2-10 provisions.