The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,230
Dribbling situations

I have been struggling with a few situations lately and need some input. I have my opinion of the correct ruling but I'm interested what you all think.

Sit 1: A1 is dribbling down the court pushing the tempo of the game, he looks up to view the layout of the players up-court and looses track of the ball. The ball bounces over his head, returns to the floor untouched, bounces again, and A1 then continues his dribble.

Sit 2: A1 passes to A2 on the wing. A2 dribbles towards the top of the key and attempted to grab the ball to end his dribble. A2, however, does not get a good grip and drops the ball. The ball hits the ground and A2 slaps the ball to the ground to gather the ball and catches it after it hits the floor.

Thanks

-Josh
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,910
There is nothing illegal about play number one. It may look ugly, but it's legal.

Play number two sounds illegal from your description. A2 fumbled the ball and is allowed to retrieve their own fumble. However, when A2 slapped the ball to the ground it was the start of a new dribble (after the fumble) and that would be illegal.
__________________
"To learn, you have to listen. To improve, you have to try." (Thomas Jefferson)
Z
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 10:20pm
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toledo, Ohio, U.S.A.
Posts: 7,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
I have been struggling with a few situations lately and need some input. I have my opinion of the correct ruling but I'm interested what you all think.

Sit 1: A1 is dribbling down the court pushing the tempo of the game, he looks up to view the layout of the players up-court and looses track of the ball. The ball bounces over his head, returns to the floor untouched, bounces again, and A1 then continues his dribble.

Sit 2: A1 passes to A2 on the wing. A2 dribbles towards the top of the key and attempted to grab the ball to end his dribble. A2, however, does not get a good grip and drops the ball. The ball hits the ground and A2 slaps the ball to the ground to gather the ball and catches it after it hits the floor.

Thanks

-Josh

Josh:

Sit. 1: Legal.


Sit. 2:

First, base upon your description of the play, I a, going to assume that Aw ended his dribble by touching the ball with both ends and then fumbled or muffed the ball. At this point, there is team control by Team A but not player control by any player on Team A. A2 can recover the ball, but cannot dribble the ball if no other player touches the ball before A2 regains player control of the ball.

Second, based upon your description of the play I would not rule an illegal dribble by A2. Why? A player must have established player control before said player can start to dribble the ball. One way, for a player who does not have control of the ball, to establish player control of the ball is to catch the ball. Your own description states the A2 slapped the ball in an effort to catch the ball; that should tell you that A2 did not have control of the ball and his slapping of the ball was not the start of a new dribble but an effort to recover the ball.

MTD, Sr.
__________________
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Trumbull Co. (Warren, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Toledo, Ohio
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,602
I agree with MTD.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Josh:

Sit. 1: Legal.


Sit. 2:

First, base upon your description of the play, I a, going to assume that Aw ended his dribble by touching the ball with both ends and then fumbled or muffed the ball. At this point, there is team control by Team A but not player control by any player on Team A. A2 can recover the ball, but cannot dribble the ball if no other player touches the ball before A2 regains player control of the ball.

Second, based upon your description of the play I would not rule an illegal dribble by A2. Why? A player must have established player control before said player can start to dribble the ball. One way, for a player who does not have control of the ball, to establish player control of the ball is to catch the ball. Your own description states the A2 slapped the ball in an effort to catch the ball; that should tell you that A2 did not have control of the ball and his slapping of the ball was not the start of a new dribble but an effort to recover the ball.

MTD, Sr.
Exactly my opinion of the rulings. You couldn't have said it better.

Sit 1 I've called (or have not called) this several times this season and the coaches are always going ballistic at my explanation.

Sit 2 is something that has happened multiple times this past week. I haven't called this an illegal dribble but my partner(s) believe it is.

-Josh
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 09:40am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Second, based upon your description of the play I would not rule an illegal dribble by A2. Why? A player must have established player control before said player can start to dribble the ball.
Mark, I agree with your conclusion, but I disagree with this portion. A player does not need to hold the ball before he can start dribbling. Imagine this scenario where, instead of grabbing it after he slaps it, he keeps slapping it towards the floor. That's a dribble, but he never held it (this happens all the time.)

So, the question is, at what point do you consider a player to have established control by dribbling even though he never held the ball?
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 10:47am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
So, the question is, at what point do you consider a player to have established control by dribbling even though he never held the ball?

Judgment.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 10:49am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
I knew I should have trademarked that.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 11:45am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pensacola
Posts: 52
jdmara opened with

"Sit 1: A1 is dribbling down the court pushing the tempo of the game, he looks up to view the layout of the players up-court and looses track of the ball. The ball bounces over his head, returns to the floor untouched, bounces again, and A1 then continues his dribble."



What if dribbler had lost track of a high dribble and reached up an "put a lid on the dribble" at a height of about 5 feet and kept his hand on the ball as the ball rose to a height of 7 feet (or as high as the dribbler could reach)?
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 12:29pm
Esteemed Participant
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 4,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagomer View Post

What if dribbler had lost track of a high dribble and reached up an "put a lid on the dribble" at a height of about 5 feet and kept his hand on the ball as the ball rose to a height of 7 feet (or as high as the dribbler could reach)?
What if he does??? Did the ball come to rest in his hand? Was the palm of the hand turned up toward the ceiling? Those high dribbles always cause people to yell and scream, but very rarely is there any violation to call.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vermont
Posts: 96
Sit 2

Why isn't the slap considered a dribble?

I've read MTD's reponse:

"A player must have established player control before said player can start to dribble the ball."

Example: If A1 passes to A2. A2 does not catch the ball, but slaps it to the floor. I would consider that a start of a dribble. Is that not correct?

Or is the term "slap" what I'm missing? By "slap" there is no control. While a controlled push to the floor indicates the start of the dribble?
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,621
Weird moves:

By the opponent: must be some kind of violation!

By fan's team: mad ball skills!
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by gslefeb View Post
Why isn't the slap considered a dribble?

I've read MTD's reponse:

"A player must have established player control before said player can start to dribble the ball."

Example: If A1 passes to A2. A2 does not catch the ball, but slaps it to the floor. I would consider that a start of a dribble. Is that not correct?

Or is the term "slap" what I'm missing? By "slap" there is no control. While a controlled push to the floor indicates the start of the dribble?
"Slap" is not defined.

You need to decide whether it's a fumble or a controlled move to be a dribble.

87.6% of the time on the pass, it's a fumble.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
"Slap" is not defined.

You need to decide whether it's a fumble or a controlled move to be a dribble.

87.6% of the time on the pass, it's a fumble.
I agree with you, except I think it's more like 87.9%. The question becomes what if the player "slaps" the ball multiple times to gain control, is this considered a dribble? Of course it's opinion. But I am more apt to call it a dribble if it takes more than one to control the ball (at least at the varsity level)

-Josh
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pensacola
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
What if he does??? Did the ball come to rest in his hand? Was the palm of the hand turned up toward the ceiling? Those high dribbles always cause people to yell and scream, but very rarely is there any violation to call.
My point exactly - I have had this called as a "carry" in at least 6 of my games this year. I think it's often a case of an official blowing because it was ugly, or he or she may just not know the rule . . . I'm at a small school and we seem to be a training ground.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jumping before dribbling referee99 Basketball 6 Sun Jan 04, 2009 04:23pm
Dribbling during a Throw In Freddy Basketball 21 Wed Dec 12, 2007 06:50pm
Dribbling and Over polo Basketball 32 Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:08pm
Not dribbling? bard Basketball 18 Fri Nov 22, 2002 08:43am
dribbling question Ralph Stubenthal Basketball 3 Mon Nov 04, 2002 02:54pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1