The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 04, 2002, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Question

A player is dribbling down the floor on the sideline when he runs into congestion from the defense. With no place to go, his last dribble is a very hard bounce which goes over his opponent's head. While the ball is making this bounce, he steps out of bounds to get around the opponents and steps back in bounds to retrieve the ball. When ( if ever) is this legal? I know that there is a rule against stepping OOB to get around traffic but if the dribbler is moving very fast, his forward speed could cause him to legally continue OOB. Under this scenario, if the ball bounced only the one time before he returned to the court to "continue" his dribbling, it would seem to surely be illegal. But, if the ball bounced more than once and he retrieved it, would it not be legal play (assuming he is not charged with going OOB to get around traffic?)

In a similar scenario, if it happened in the middle of the court and there was no OOB situation, what would be legal and what would not?

Just a little pre-season food for thought. I'm trying to get my mind back in the game--got some scrimmages this week, thanks, Ralph.
Old Mon Nov 04, 2002, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Stubenthal
A player is dribbling down the floor on the sideline when he runs into congestion from the defense. With no place to go, his last dribble is a very hard bounce which goes over his opponent's head. While the ball is making this bounce, he steps out of bounds to get around the opponents and steps back in bounds to retrieve the ball. When ( if ever) is this legal? I know that there is a rule against stepping OOB to get around traffic but if the dribbler is moving very fast, his forward speed could cause him to legally continue OOB. Under this scenario, if the ball bounced only the one time before he returned to the court to "continue" his dribbling, it would seem to surely be illegal. But, if the ball bounced more than once and he retrieved it, would it not be legal play (assuming he is not charged with going OOB to get around traffic?)
This play would not be legal. Anytime a player dribbling the ball steps out-of-bounds, that player has caused the ball to go out-of-bounds, even if the player does not simultaneously touch the ball and OOB.

Quote:
In a similar scenario, if it happened in the middle of the court and there was no OOB situation, what would be legal and what would not?
As long as the dribbling rules are complied with (principally hand not uder the ball; ball not touched twice before touching the floor), the play is legal.

[/B][/QUOTE]
Old Mon Nov 04, 2002, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

The scenario is definitely illegal when the player goes out of bounds, but you could have 2 calls. One, as Bob stated, if you deem the player to still be dribbling and in control of the ball, you could have an OOB call.

However, if the player intentionally goes OOB, you can also issue a 'T'.

I'd probably opt for the OOB call.
Old Mon Nov 04, 2002, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Of those two choices I would have to opt for the OOB. But the "by the book" call would be the Technical. Just tell the coach that when he argues your call.