The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 28, 2003, 03:36am
Official Forum Member

I've got a question...

A player is dribbling, however, the ball is over his head during dribbling. Is it a foul or not?

A player is dribbling, however, the ball is lastly held while it is over his head. Is it a foul or not?

Thanks ...

Old Mon Jul 28, 2003, 03:58am
Official Forum Member

It is never a foul; it may be a violation though.
I think your language is too imprecise to give you an answer, but I'll try.
1. If the player is simply dribbling the ball very high, including over his head, it is not against any of the rules.
2.a. If the player is holding the ball over his head and then starts his first dribble from there by throwing the ball down, this is a legal play.
2.b. If the player is dribbling very high, and during a high dribble above the level of his head the ball comes to rest in his hand before being dribbled again, it is a double-dribble violation.
Old Mon Jul 28, 2003, 05:41am
Official Forum Member

Noted with thanks for you detailed answer... however, if the player dribbles normally, and the ball finally rebounds above his head. But he holds the ball and doesn't dribble any more, then is it okay or a violation?

In another wordings, suppose a dribble is defined to be ended, if the player holds the ball by one / two hand(s). Then is it a violation, if the ball is over his head before a dribble ends?
Old Mon Jul 28, 2003, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by polo
Noted with thanks for you detailed answer... however, if the player dribbles normally, and the ball finally rebounds above his head. But he holds the ball and doesn't dribble any more, then is it okay or a violation?

In another wordings, suppose a dribble is defined to be ended, if the player holds the ball by one / two hand(s). Then is it a violation, if the ball is over his head before a dribble ends?
The ball being over his head has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with it. A player can dribble the ball as high as he wants to. This is a common misconception among fans, players, and coaches.

If he holds the ball or touches it with two hands, then the dribble has ended. But there's nothing illegal about a dribble that goes over a dribbler's head.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jul 28, 2003, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Well Noted, thanks.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Just my 2 cents to get in the "flow".
What I have noticed, especially with the younger kids.... once they stop the dribble after the ball has went above shoulder height, the most common violation is a travel as they tend to take a couple of extra steps before securing the ball.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by TH_indiana
Just my 2 cents to get in the "flow".
What I have noticed, especially with the younger kids.... once they stop the dribble after the ball has went above shoulder height, the most common violation is a travel as they tend to take a couple of extra steps before securing the ball.
This isn't a travel until they are "holding" the ball. If it's just sort of "loose" in the air, and the player has not yet "held" it (hand under, or two hands on) he or she can take as many steps as desired. Maybe this is another of those mis-called plays as mentioned in another thread.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

This isn't a travel until they are "holding" the ball. If it's just sort of "loose" in the air, and the player has not yet "held" it (hand under, or two hands on) he or she can take as many steps as desired. Maybe this is another of those mis-called plays as mentioned in another thread.

(can you tell me how I can make the above "paste" of your reply to appear in bold fonts?)

We are in agreement here. A young player trying to gain control will invariably either place one hand under the ball OR contact the ball with both hands. And, almost as invaribly will take an extra step or two or three or four before securing the ball.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We are in agreement here. A young player trying to gain control will invariably either place one hand under the ball OR contact the ball with both hands. And, almost as invaribly will take an extra step or two or three or four before securing the ball.
This isn't traveling. It's certainly an illegal dribble but the player isn't holding the ball, therefore, it isn't traveling.

Wanna take my Traveling Quiz?

Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

This isn't traveling. It's certainly an illegal dribble but the player isn't holding the ball, therefore, it isn't traveling.

Wanna take my Traveling Quiz?
YES!! sounds like I need to take a quiz! (do I have to further embarass myself in front of the whole board?)
Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
TH_Indiana? When did Tony move to Indy?

And why is he replying to his own posts?
Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 10:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

(can you tell me how I can make the above "paste" of your reply to appear in bold fonts?)

Push quote, then type..., Rook.
Welcome here.

Old Wed Jul 30, 2003, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
TH_Indiana? When did Tony move to Indy?

And why is he replying to his own posts?
Bizarro world.

Old Wed Jul 30, 2003, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Here ya go, Rook!

Quote:
YES!! sounds like I need to take a quiz! (do I have to further embarass myself in front of the whole board?)
TRAVELING OR NOT?

Play #1 - A1 is holding the ball. Her left foot is her pivot foot. She steps with her right foot and starts to throw a pass. However, a defender leaps in front of her at the last possible moment. She holds onto the ball put lifts her pivot foot. Is this a violation? Why or why not?

Play #2 - A2 passes the ball to A1. A1 is holding the ball and being guarded by B1. A1 tosses the ball over B1's head and takes off around B1. After the ball hits the floor, A1 grabs it, takes one step, and shoots the ball for a lay-up. Is this a violation? Why or why not?

Play #3 - A1 is dribbling on a fast break. He passes the ball ahead to A2, who is running down the court. He muffs the catch, bobbles the ball but succeeds in securing control before it strikes the floor. A2 took four steps after he initially touched the ball, before securing it. Is this a violation? Why or why not?

Play #4 - A1 is in position for a rebound. He taps the rebound into the air to prevent a defender from gaining possession. He taps the ball into the air 4 times and takes 5 steps while trying to keep the ball away from the opponent. Is this a violation? Why or why not?

Play #5 - A1 dives for a loose ball on the floor. She gains control of the ball but continues to slide before coming to a stop and requesting a timeout. Is this a violation? Why or why not?

Play #6 - A1 falls to the floor and is lying on her back when she recovers a loose ball. She sits up and passes the ball to A2. Is this a violation? Why or why not?

Play #7 - A1 is out of bounds for a spot throw-in. After the ball is placed at her disposal. She runs the baseline. Is this a traveling violation? Why or why not?

Play #8 - A1 attempts a try after ending the dribble. The try does not touch the backboard, the rim or any other player. A1 runs and is able to catch the ball before it strikes the floor. Is this a violation? Why or why not?

Play #9 - Dribbler A1 catches the ball with the right foot touching the floor and then jumps off that foot and alights on both feet simultaneously with one foot in advance of the other. Is this a violation? Why or why not?

Play #10 - Airborne A1 and A2 jointly grab the rebound and each alights simultaneously on both feet. A1 and A2 each move one foot in attempting to wrestle the ball from each other before realizing they are teammates. A1 lets go and A2 dribbles away. Is this a violation? Why or why not?

Old Wed Jul 30, 2003, 08:22am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
[/B]
TRAVELING OR NOT?

[/B][/QUOTE]I know! I know! Pick me! Pick me!