The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 03:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
Threats never seem to work as well as, just telling the coach to handle their assistants. Threats seem to back you into a corner and make you do things you don't want to. Like giving "T's"

I could envision, "coach, you need to tell your assistants to remain quite on the bench, complaining about calls is unsportsmanlike".

Then the next is the official warning.
That is the official warning.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Speak for yourself, grasshopper.
I thought I finally made a relevent comment, and now I find I am giving too many warnings. Do you guys just have your hands glued together in the form of a "T", so you are always in the automatic position?????
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 03:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I thought I finally made a relevent comment, and now I find I am giving too many warnings. Do you guys just have your hands glued together in the form of a "T", so you are always in the automatic position?????
Not at all. I've given exactly two coach Ts (of the unsportsmanlike behavior variety) at the high school level since moving to CO 3 years ago. Both were after one warning; most times one warning works, but you should never shy away from the T when the coach earns one.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 03:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

Unsporting Behavior...

Quote:
Warning generally should only be given once. And generally a warning from one official should serve as the warning for the crew. If you tell a coach that her assistants need to pipe down then that serves as the warning AND you need to inform your partner(s) that the bench as been warned.

My T's usually come without a preceeding warning. Conversely, when I do give a warning (whether informal or formal; whether quietly or for all to hear) I can't remember the last time I've had to follow it up with a T.

I give warnings when I feel that will suffice to handle the situation. I give T's when I think a T is the only way to deal with it (or if I'm just tired of the bullsh!t )

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Jan 29, 2009 at 03:37pm.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 03:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Do you guys just have your hands glued together in the form of a "T", so you are always in the automatic position?????
Um, yeah.

Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Out of all the things I have learned on this site the biggest lesson is how to deal with coaches.

For reasons unknown to me coaches have been allowed to run amok in my area. Coaches behaving badly, refs spending the whole game talking and "massaging" them as the coaches scream,officiate and basically behave in really unacceptable ways.

I knew if I was gonna continue to officate i wasn't going to be abused for $50 a game. I took what I read here and applied it to my games. Lo and behold the coaches generally act right pretty early in the games I officiate.

Why ? First 2 or 3 times down the court,if they are doing the crazy coach drill, I cruise them and give a quick explanation of why they are in violation Rule 10-4-1. If they keep it up they get their T. In less then a year my reputation precedes me. Other officials consistently state "enjoyed working with you.", "Great job on dealing with coaches."

Crazy coach T's this year,3, including one last night. And he wanted it and he got it. He apoligized after the game and I let him know "its not personal" .

So if these guys around here say "T", thats good enough for me.