The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Coaches

One other question while its fresh on my mind - has anyone had a coach request that the other coach stay in the box???

We haven't had it even brought up and I'm not going to mention it but just wondering?

Thanks
David
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Not yet.

Of course, I work my first game on the 20th.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
Not yet.

Yes we start this Friday - of course I'm still in basketball for the next couple of weeks, but might be able to squeeze a game on Saturday!

Thanks
David
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
One other question while its fresh on my mind - has anyone had a coach request that the other coach stay in the box???

We haven't had it even brought up and I'm not going to mention it but just wondering?

Thanks
David

Let's see, if I complain about the other team, they'll make ME stay in the box too.

Nope - don't think so.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

And if one coach violates the rule, are both coaches restricted to the dugout? The rule is an open-ended statement. Taken literally, that's what it says.

I've never had this come up. Somewhere in the USA it must be a big problem for it to make it into the book but Wilson (gold & black) was able to get the Rawling white & red labels thrown out of games, so go figure.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
Not yet.

Why so late LMan ? Mine is on the 19th.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpduck11
Why so late LMan ? Mine is on the 19th.
damfino.vvvvv
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B

Thanks
David
No, but equally as stupid, i had a head coach call time and inform me that the 3rd baseman of the other team is holding a runner on with one foot in foul territory (OBR). I looked at him with that "you've gotta be $hitting me" expression after he said that. haha

(At the moment i'm having a brain fart, so i'll ask this question): What is the penalty for this under OBR? Is this an ejection for failure to comply after multiple warnings (like when pitchers take their signs from off the rubber)? or is this a "do over" (since the ball can't be in play until all fielders are in fair territory)? or something else?

Last edited by bossman72; Tue Feb 13, 2007 at 06:19pm.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72

(At the moment i'm having a brain fart, so i'll ask this question): What is the penalty for this under OBR? Is this an ejection for failure to comply after multiple warnings (like when pitchers take their signs from off the rubber)? or is this a "do over" (since the ball can't be in play until all fielders are in fair territory)? or something else?

From the JEA:

First basemen often position one foot in foul territory while holding a runner on first base. On the Major League level, this is acceptable and not considered a violation of the rule. The National Association Leagues' umpires are instructed to permit this unless a complaint is raised. If so, they are told to enforce the rule as written for both teams (similar to the "coach being out of the box" type situation). Defensive players are not allowed to be in foul territory to back-up appeal plays or pitches. No penalty is provided. The umpire simply does not allow play while this condition exists. If a player refuses to comply, he should be ejected.

Tim.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, but equally as stupid, i had a head coach call time and inform me that the 3rd baseman of the other team is holding a runner on with one foot in foul territory (OBR). I looked at him with that "you've gotta be $hitting me" expression after he said that. haha

Youre obviously confusing OBR with FED, but it is stupid as we all know. Well, except for boyinblue and Dan, that is.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711
Youre obviously confusing OBR with FED, but it is stupid as we all know. Well, except for boyinblue and Dan, that is.
Yes, i know that OBR you need 2 feet in to be "in play," but i was just dumbfounded that the coach actually brought up that nit-picky play. I did tell him that it would be enforced equally for both teams.

Even if his runner got picked off, i couldn't do anything about it if his foot was in foul (or both for that matter) since there is no penalty.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What level are you working where the THIRD baseman is holding the runner on?
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex
What level are you working where the THIRD baseman is holding the runner on?

16 year old colt league
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

The "rule" you are referencing came to the books by "coaches" complaints. The is no "Conspiracy Theory" . . . since this is your second reference to this exact issue I think we now recognize that you have made up your own mind without facts.

Regards,[/QUOTE]

I got that nugget from a source in Indianapolis. Just because they're both sponsors doesn't mean there isn't competition.
One coach said to me, "What's next? Outlaw white pitchers?"

Go Ducks!!!

Second? You keeping tabs on me Big Bro C??