The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Chirpie Coaches (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51284-chirpie-coaches.html)

agr8zebra Thu Jan 29, 2009 01:02pm

Chirpie Coaches

I had a Girls Varsity game last week with a woman(very attractive) as the head coach and several male assistants.

Well the males were chirping about this and that all game long, the HC too from time to time, well reached my limit, during a dead ball I went over the bench, with the HC standing and the assistants seated, I said "If I hear another male voice complain about a travel call or anything else, the HC(remember she is attractive want her standing all game long) will be seated the rest of the game, do you get my drift, remember I said a male voice."

Well the rest of the game I didn't hear a male voice and the female voice disipated also.

bob jenkins Thu Jan 29, 2009 01:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by agr8zebra (Post 573641)
(very attractive)

How is that relevant?

Lotto Thu Jan 29, 2009 01:07pm

Quote:

I had a Girls Varsity game last week with a woman(very attractive) as the head coach and several male assistants.

Well the males were chirping about this and that all game long, the HC too from time to time, well reached my limit, during a dead ball I went over the bench, with the HC standing and the assistants seated, I said "If I hear another male voice complain about a travel call or anything else, the HC(remember she is attractive want her standing all game long) will be seated the rest of the game, do you get my drift, remember I said a male voice."

Well the rest of the game I didn't hear a male voice and the female voice disipated also.

If I had been the head coach and "got your drift," I would have made a vigorous complaint to your assignor on the basis of your inappropriate comment.

Adam Thu Jan 29, 2009 01:14pm

Quote:

I said "If I hear another male voice complain about a travel call or anything else, the HC(remember she is attractive want her standing all game long) will be seated the rest of the game, do you get my drift, remember I said a male voice."

Did you actually say the part in red?

Juulie Downs Thu Jan 29, 2009 01:23pm

Quote:

the HC(remember she is attractive want her standing all game long) .

.... it's a good thing I wasn't your partner that game.... (various unacceptable name-calling items deleted)

GoodwillRef Thu Jan 29, 2009 01:26pm

Quote:

This would not be the recommended way to warn a bench. You may need to work on your coach/referee communication skills.

Adam Thu Jan 29, 2009 01:29pm

"Coach, I don't mind answering questions from you; but your bench is about to cost you your coaching box."

Mark Padgett Thu Jan 29, 2009 01:38pm

I think Juulie said it all. Coaches are off limits even to "mind games".

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Jan 29, 2009 02:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 573663)
I think Juulie said it all. Coaches are off limits even to "mind games".

Because coaches have no minds, :D.

MTD, Sr.

agr8zebra Thu Jan 29, 2009 02:31pm

Of course not, just like the Grand Canyon, she was nice to look at.

Adam Thu Jan 29, 2009 02:34pm

Then it's not nearly as bad as it looked at first; I still would have worded it differently.

rockyroad Thu Jan 29, 2009 02:59pm

The thing to remember is that every time we open our mouths, we potentially give a coach ammunition to use against us. In this case, the coach could use these comments against the official in a call/letter to the assignor - even if the official called a fantastic game, he/she just opened the door to a complaint that the assignor cannot defend. There are better ways to handle the bench decorum issues that will not give a coach that kind of ammunition. Hopefully nothing comes back to bite this official in the butt.

beachbum Thu Jan 29, 2009 03:00pm

Threats never seem to work as well as, just telling the coach to handle their assistants. Threats seem to back you into a corner and make you do things you don't want to. Like giving "T's"

I could envision, "coach, you need to tell your assistants to remain quite on the bench, complaining about calls is unsportsmanlike".

Then the next is the official warning.

Mark Padgett Thu Jan 29, 2009 03:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by beachbum (Post 573708)
........ and make you do things you don't want to. Like giving "T's"

Speak for yourself, grasshopper. :rolleyes:

Adam Thu Jan 29, 2009 03:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by beachbum (Post 573708)
Threats never seem to work as well as, just telling the coach to handle their assistants. Threats seem to back you into a corner and make you do things you don't want to. Like giving "T's"

I could envision, "coach, you need to tell your assistants to remain quite on the bench, complaining about calls is unsportsmanlike".

Then the next is the official warning.

This is the warning. There's no "official warning" for this.

The next time should be the whistle and technical foul. Repeated warnings is from the UN school of officiating, and doesn't work.