The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Free throw instructions

I did my first three man game since camps last summer, and had two really good partners- It was great!

When I administered a free throw, I said "One and one- Play the miss" before bouncing the ball to the shooter. After the game, one partner (Board member on our association that I respect a lot), said that I should only say "one shot", "two shots", or "one and one". No other instructions.

It is common in our area to include phrases like "Wait 'til it hits the rim" or other instructions when administering a free throw, but I think I will follow my partners advice and go to just giving the number of shots.

What do you guys say when administering a free throw?
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

I will tell them "one and one".... and thats all, on one shot I will say, "one, let it hit", but thats all I generally say. I've been told simple and short is best! So I've tried to follow that.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
I did my first three man game since camps last summer, and had two really good partners- It was great!

When I administered a free throw, I said "One and one- Play the miss" before bouncing the ball to the shooter. After the game, one partner (Board member on our association that I respect a lot), said that I should only say "one shot", "two shots", or "one and one". No other instructions.

It is common in our area to include phrases like "Wait 'til it hits the rim" or other instructions when administering a free throw, but I think I will follow my partners advice and go to just giving the number of shots.

Keep it short. Players should know that they are supposed to play on a miss on a one and one or a last free throw.

For very young players, something like "one, let it hit" (as per co2ice suggestion) the first couple of times might be useful. (I'm glad that in FIBA players don't have to wait the ball hits. I'm glad also we don't have one and one any more.)

Ciao
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Only state the number of shots.

Unless there is something going on that you want to address. If they have been close to getting into the lane early.... "wait for the hit". If the post play is getting a little too physical.... "let's clean it up in the post".

Just little reminders that you are watching.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 12:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
It is common in our area to include phrases like "Wait 'til it hits the rim" or other instructions when administering a free throw,
I don't know why, but I typically say "let it hit."

Do not, however, say "let it hit the rim." That's not the rule. They can also come in once it hits the backboard.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 12:32pm
This IS My Social Life

Just the Facts, Ma'am -- 3x

I've learned to only state what the shot(s) are gonna be. Any preventative instruction regarding feet breaking the lane plane early are handled as necessary. After any preventative instruction regarding entering the lane too early, one follow-up call for a violation pretty much halts any future violations.

At camp they drilled into me this one thing that's become automatic now. They taught me to state and signal the number of shots three times, once to the C, once to the free thrower, then once to the T/table (same gesture). It's quick, easy, and ensures that everyone is on the same page. Anybody else do that? Anyone see problems with that?
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 04:01pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:

"One," "two," "three," or "one and one."
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 04:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Don't Have To Be A Mathematician To Figure This One Out ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP View Post
That pretty much takes care of all the permutations.

P.S. Does anybody remember that old "three to make two" NBA rule? Whatever happened to that?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 04:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
P.S. Does anybody remember that old "three to make two" NBA rule? Whatever happened to that?
Logic prevailed.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 02:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Your partner has it right. I do it exactly the way that he advocates. I was taught that right from the beginning. The instructor in my very first class stated that comments such as "play the miss" are poor because of the psychological effect on the shooter. I am unqualified to judge whether there is any truth to that or not, but it seemed to be an interesting point to me and I have always remembered it.

Also, I NEVER tell the players to "relax on the first" or "catch your breath" when administering the first of multiple throws. I once watched an old-timer with a peculiar sense of humor tell the whole gym "OK, great I'll go get a cup of coffee," when his partner did that!
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

One, two, three, one and one. Just me, It's like nails on a chalkboard with all the extra 'chatter'.

Last edited by fullor30; Sun Jan 04, 2009 at 11:29am.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 09:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

Sometimes I will say "1 time" on the last shot. No clue why. Sometimes it just comes out.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:04am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

I only report the number of shots to be taken, and I do not include phrases such as "play the miss".

However, I do use preventative phrases if someone was close to violating on a previous FTA, or if the post play is getting rougher, etc...
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:32am
Ch1town

I've really been working on eliminating the extra talking from my game, which used to include "let it hit". After "2 shots" I still say "guys/ladies".

Thoughts on whether I should I lose that too?
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 11:13am
Esteemed Forum Member

I Hope This Doesn't Make Me A Hypocrite ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
That pretty much takes care of all the permutations.
I guess that I don't follow my own advice. After posting the above yesterday, I did a game last night and remembered one, and only one, additional comment that I make on a regular basis. I almost always say, "Double bonus, two shots" the first time it happens for each team in each half. Just in case the players are wondering why we're shooting two when the fouled player was not in the act of shooting a missed try.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)