The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Free Throw

Has anyone call Disconcerting the Free Thrower (9-1-5)? If so, then what was the action that was worth calling the violation?
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 09:44pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy
Has anyone call Disconcerting the Free Thrower (9-1-5)? If so, then what was the action that was worth calling the violation?
Yup.

Unnecessary talking that started just as the player releases. Warning was given first, too.
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 09:50pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Yep, last year I called it. The opponent was in the top free throw lane and clapped his hands just before the shooter was getting ready to shoot.

Edit: Just to clairfy, it wasn't the "top" space. He was in the "top" legal space for the defense.

Last edited by tjones1; Mon Dec 04, 2006 at 04:21pm.
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, and last season it was even a POE!

2005-06 POINTS OF EMPHASIS
2. Free Throws.
C. Disconcertion. Free-throw disconcertion must be carefully monitored. Of particular concern is when the free throw will become dead (first of two or first two of three). Defensive players often employ tactics which serve no other purpose than to disconcert the shooter during free throws ("boxing out" the free thrower off the free-throw line, waving arms, yelling instructions to teammates, etc.). Another increasing trend is opponents outside the arc saying things to the thrower. With team free-throw percentages hovering in the mid-60's on average, teams welcome a second chance free throw. They deserve it if disconcertion occurs and officials must call it.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Yep. Another common one in addition to those already mentioned is arms raised and rapidly wiggling hands or fingers.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 08:11am
Lighten up, Francis.

Yelling "BOX OUT" during the first of two free throws.

Squeaking sneakers directly behind the free throw shooter.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

I've talked to players about this, but I've never actually had to take care of it. Usually they knock it off after a conversation.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Can a player be disconcerted by a member of his/her own team? i know the answer is no, but seen it done the other night and was cracking up. Do you say anything to the team member that is doing this?
That is one of the questions in this years test too!
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie
Can a player be disconcerted by a member of his/her own team? i know the answer is no, but seen it done the other night and was cracking up. Do you say anything to the team member that is doing this?
That is one of the questions in this years test too!
He can an it is legal unless the official deems it to be an unsporting foul.

9-1-5 . . . No opponent shall disconcert the free thrower.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 02:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Or a coach yelling for a timeout while the opponent is shooting a freethrow.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Up to this point it seems that 4 have called a violation. Well, the other day I called the violation. While I had my (delay) hand out, I knew that I was going to catch grief from the coach if the free throw shooter missed. He did. Here is the play. Late in the close game both teams are shooting free throws. Team A is shooting a 2 shot foul. Team B is losing. I am the Trail (2 man game). B1 is in the last position near the shooter. As A1 gets the ball, B1 starts squeeking his shoes. 4 or 5 squeeks. It gets my attention. A1 makes the 1st throw. I am thinking.... deliberate or nervous??? He stops the squeeking while the ball is being retrieved. A1 gets the ball for the 2nd throw. B1 starts squeeking again. He doen't stop until A1 releases the ball. Free throw is missed. Tweet... violation. I go over to explain situation to Coach B. Quickly I explain that it is just like Clapping, Waving hands and Yelling "Box Out". His response.. "this is new to me". I walk away. I believe I made the right call. After the game I did not get much support from my partner.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Up to this point it seems that 4 have called a violation. Well, the other day I called the violation. While I had my (delay) hand out, I knew that I was going to catch grief from the coach if the free throw shooter missed. He did. Here is the play. Late in the close game both teams are shooting free throws. Team A is shooting a 2 shot foul. Team B is losing. I am the Trail (2 man game). B1 is in the last position near the shooter. As A1 gets the ball, B1 starts squeeking his shoes. 4 or 5 squeeks. It gets my attention. A1 makes the 1st throw. I am thinking.... deliberate or nervous??? He stops the squeeking while the ball is being retrieved. A1 gets the ball for the 2nd throw. B1 starts squeeking again. He doen't stop until A1 releases the ball. Free throw is missed. Tweet... violation. I go over to explain situation to Coach B. Quickly I explain that it is just like Clapping, Waving hands and Yelling "Box Out". His response.. "this is new to me". I walk away. I believe I made the right call. After the game I did not get much support from my partner.
Good call, partner!
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 03:04pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Good call, but I think I would have said something to B1 after the 1st throw in hopes of preventing having to make a disconcertion call in the future.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

last weekend my partner called it in a DIII womens game.
Shooter was on the line to the left of center about three feet - player in the top spot on that side put her arms up and out toward the shooter and started to wave her hands clearly in the sight line.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 04:35pm

Quote:
When the game is on the line, there is a lot of sh!t talking going on in the F/T lane. I have made it a practice now to get very close to the shooter in these tense situations, otherwise I can't hear it from my normal position. Big disadvangate if they can raddle the shooter, I'm mean it's on inside that lane. I'll tell you something else to look for, especially in a close game. Defense huddles in the lane, when they walk out, somebody bumps the F/T shooter on the line. There's a lot of stuff to watch here!

I even had a coach, first time I've ever seen this, but the coach had a fit after the technical he recieved and was yelling instructions to his players while we where shooting the F/T's, 1st half, so it's in front of his bench, which IMO intimidated younger high school F/T shooter. Can't let that happen either.