View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 02:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
I did my first three man game since camps last summer, and had two really good partners- It was great!

When I administered a free throw, I said "One and one- Play the miss" before bouncing the ball to the shooter. After the game, one partner (Board member on our association that I respect a lot), said that I should only say "one shot", "two shots", or "one and one". No other instructions.

It is common in our area to include phrases like "Wait 'til it hits the rim" or other instructions when administering a free throw, but I think I will follow my partners advice and go to just giving the number of shots.

What do you guys say when administering a free throw?
Your partner has it right. I do it exactly the way that he advocates. I was taught that right from the beginning. The instructor in my very first class stated that comments such as "play the miss" are poor because of the psychological effect on the shooter. I am unqualified to judge whether there is any truth to that or not, but it seemed to be an interesting point to me and I have always remembered it.

Also, I NEVER tell the players to "relax on the first" or "catch your breath" when administering the first of multiple throws. I once watched an old-timer with a peculiar sense of humor tell the whole gym "OK, great I'll go get a cup of coffee," when his partner did that!