The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 06:08pm
We don't rent pigs

Keep instructions to a minimum, I agree. But having said that, it is amazing to me how little some players at the varsity level know about the game situation at times, whether they have been told or not. A player is fouled on a layup in the first 15 seconds of the game. "How many shots, ref?" Or, on the 7th foul, we announce 1&1, first shot is made, and half the players start to the other end of the court. etc.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 06:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Keep instructions to a minimum, I agree. But having said that, it is amazing to me how little some players at the varsity level know about the game situation at times, whether they have been told or not. A player is fouled on a layup in the first 15 seconds of the game. "How many shots, ref?" Or, on the 7th foul, we announce 1&1, first shot is made, and half the players start to the other end of the court. etc.
Agreed. I usually follow this with, "One more, fellas." That's when you see a lot of light bulbs turning on.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Wow ! coaching?? how do you get that out of 'check your clock'? I suppose then during a 'long' time-out you don't inform the team that the 1st horn has sounded? or when lined up for free throws you don't indicate how many are to be attempted? or that you don't talk to players to de-fuse a situation? If you do any of those, then you must be guilty of 'coaching' as well. Welcome to the club...
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_from_Mi View Post
I find that high school players understand that less is more. Sometimes when we say 'one-an-one' after the 1st made basket, players will return to offense and defensive positions, clearing not understanding the phrase, 'one and one' and awaiting the 2nd throw while standing in the blocks. The word 'play' lets everyone know that on this shot play will resume.
I'm sure its frustrating for a coach and maybe the players when the team has the ball and is still dribbling or passing the ball when time expires. The mention to 'check your clock' is a reminder for both teams that time will expire very soon. I have noticed that after saying that, some, (not all) players actually check the clock and I've got to believe, have there thoughts focused on gettng a shot off in the waning seconds, or maybe having the moxie to call a TO (if one is needed).
You should not care what a team is doing when time expires or if their actions frustrate their coach. Your job is to officiate the action, not direct it.

You are unfairly impacting the game by alerting whichever team ends up with possession following the FT attempt to the clock situation or possibly the defending team which can now opt to employ a strategy that they otherwise would not have (purposely giving a foul). That kind of awareness is the responsibility of the team members and coaches.

You need to stay out of this as your advice could be seen as helping one side or the other near the end of a tight ballgame. That is WAY outside of the purview of an official. The game officials are to be neutral observers, adjudicators, and administrators of the contest.

Sorry, if this seems like people are jumping on you, but we really want you to understand how your comments can be taken and prevent you from landing in a seriously ugly situation.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wow ! coaching?? how do you get that out of 'check your clock'? I suppose then during a 'long' time-out you don't inform the team that the 1st horn has sounded? or when lined up for free throws you don't indicate how many are to be attempted? or that you don't talk to players to de-fuse a situation? If you do any of those, then you must be guilty of 'coaching' as well. Welcome to the club...
There is a difference, Ray.
Stating 1st horn to the huddle is a required mechanic and stated in the NFHS Officials Manual.
Informing the players how many FTs are to be attempted is also a required mechanic.
Talking to the players if there is an altercation is a gray area. Some officials do it and some don't. Some are good at it and by doing so can help control the game, some aren't great communicators and have learned that the players just get more unhappy when they are engaged in that manner, so they refrain from such talk. There is no clear proper method for that.

However, what you are doing by saying "check your clock" is totally uncalled for in any administrative manual and can only be seen as offering extra advice to the players. A very poor idea.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 06:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
LIke I said, one is preventative officiating. Preventing violations, fouls, etc. Some argue against it, others use it. It's expected.

But reminding them to check the clock so they are sure to try to get a shot off? Seriously? If you can't tell the difference, I can't help you.

Do you count down for them, too, so they don't forget?
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I find that high school players understand that less is more. Sometimes when we say 'one-an-one' after the 1st made basket, players will return to offense and defensive positions, clearing not understanding the phrase, 'one and one' and awaiting the 2nd throw while standing in the blocks. The word 'play' lets everyone know that on this shot play will resume.
I doubt you'll find a HS aged player that doesn't know what a one-and-one is. Do they get brain farts and do something silly, yes, but they're not misunderstanding. Either way it's not our job to make sure they know what to do.

Quote:
I'm sure its frustrating for a coach and maybe the players when the team has the ball and is still dribbling or passing the ball when time expires. The mention to 'check your clock' is a reminder for both teams that time will expire very soon. I have noticed that after saying that, some, (not all) players actually check the clock and I've got to believe, have there thoughts focused on gettng a shot off in the waning seconds, or maybe having the moxie to call a TO (if one is needed).
Don't know where to begin...so I'll leave it simply as don't do this.

Quote:
First of all, stating "first horn" on a "long" (or in fact a "short" ) timeout is required by our mechanics. So is indicating the number of FT's. Talking to player to defuse a situation is GOOD game management. The rest of what you are suggesting is nothing close to GOOD game management.

Last edited by eyezen; Sun Jan 04, 2009 at 06:55pm.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
LIke I said, one is preventative officiating. Preventing violations, fouls, etc. Some argue against it, others use it. It's expected.

But reminding them to check the clock so they are sure to try to get a shot off? Seriously? If you can't tell the difference, I can't help you.

Do you count down for them, too, so they don't forget?

So I can't yell "watch out,half court trap"? It would give better flow to game and less fouls................darn.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
So I can't yell "watch out,half court trap"? It would give better flow to game and less fouls................darn.
Haha!

"One-Shot. White is going to press on a made FT, so red, make sure you set up the press break offense on the make, transition offense on the miss. Let it hit. Check your clock, not much left. Play."

Last edited by eyezen; Sun Jan 04, 2009 at 07:07pm.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 08:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
Haha!

"One-Shot. White is going to press on a made FT, so red, make sure you set up the press break offense on the make, transition offense on the miss. Let it hit. Check your clock, not much left. Play."
You forgot, "Ladies/Gentlemen," to start.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You forgot, "Ladies/Gentlemen," to start.
I address the players as Ladies/Gentlemen. It has served me well. I have even received complimentary comments from coaches about it.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 09:18pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
I Ref a local Rec League (12B) with a guy who does a pretty good job, but has little to no formal training. He is constantly shouting, "Hands Up! Hands Up!" He shouts for the entire gym to hear. Meaning of course watch your hands on D, don't reach. He must shout it 50-75 times a game. Gives me a friggin headache (ranks up there with, "Ball, Ball, Ball!" but, he's my partner!).

I said to him once, "Look, I know what you mean - but, just call the game. Let the coaches coach the players. It's not your job." He hasn't taken me up on my suggestion yet.....
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

I usually say "one" and then have said "and if he makes it the game will be tied and you guys in the white jerseys should run a screen and roll like you did last trip down to try to tie the game" Is this coaching a little too much?
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Then he'll take you up on your suggestion ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
He is constantly shouting, "Hands Up! Hands Up!" He shouts for the entire gym to hear. He must shout it 50-75 times a game. Gives me a friggin headache (ranks up there with, "Ball, Ball, Ball!"
We've had a few threads on this ("Ball, Ball, Ball!") before, and most of us have decided that although it's as irritating as hell, it's not unsporting, and, in regard to the players, we can't do much about it. But in this case, I would make an exception, and "Whack" him.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 11:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I address the players as Ladies/Gentlemen. It has served me well. I have even received complimentary comments from coaches about it.
I do as well, but not every time I administer a free throw; and it's never the beginning of a yoga class.

Quote:
"Alright Ladies/Gentlemen, here we go, we got two, deep breath,relax on the first one."