The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Texas
Posts: 14
Attacked at a Game

I officiated a tournament Girls Varsity game in North Zulch, Texas. It involved a game between North Zulch, and a team they should have easily defeated, (since they obviously wanted to advance in their own tournament). I think the root of the problem that I encountered was the result of a girl’s varsity game that I officiated in North Zulch last year. After North Zulch lost a close game, the female coach approached me and began explaining how my partner and I stole the game from them, and continued her tantrum with her arms flinging, etc. In the tournament game I am referring to today, everything seemed to be fine in the first half because North Zulch girls had a lead. From my standpoint the head coach only questioned three violations I called on a young lady on her team. In each case I yelled “get out of the lane” several times and she would just not move, so I had no choice but to call three second violations. In the third quarter after the opposing team took the lead, the coach for North Zulch began showing a growing antagonism toward me. She at one point yelled across court why I called a palming violation on one of her girls when her hand was not under the ball. I told her that the ball did not have to placed on the bottom of the ball to have a violation in this case. My co-official, and I had called several traveling, double dribbles, and palming violations on this particular young lady. Early in the fourth quarter with the opponent leading by about twelve points, I was handing the ball to a player for a throw in when the coach yelled something, so I looked over at her, and she yelled back very loudly “I AM NOT TALKING TO YOU”! During the next time out I asked my co-official to change sides with me because I had spent the majority of the third quarter, and part of the fourth quarter along the bleachers that the North Zulch fans were occupying, and explained to him that the fans were making some really nasty remarks to me (I heard a fan call me a dumb b*****d, and several other names that of course upset me). He moved over for me, then with about 1:20 left in the game, and North Zulch down by ten points I handed the ball to an opposing player for a throw in, and started my count. At that time I noticed a North Zulch player holding a hand full of jersey, so I called a holding violation. The North Zulch coach yelled very loudly across the court where everyone could hear her “YOU WILL NEVER OFFICATE HERE AGAIN”! (she said it twice). After the game I walked to the refs changing room, and noticed two officials that I have a tremendous amount of respect for standing outside the dressing room door, so I said my hellos. I then turned toward the front of the gym to leave when the North Zulch coach grabbed the left arm of my jacket and told me to follow her because she wanted to talk to me. When I turned to follow her one of the officials tugged my other arm and told me not to do that. At that point in a very nasty voice she told me that I would NEVER officiate in North Zulch again, did I understand! I then lost my composure, and I think I said something really unprofessional like,( I would not lower myself to officiate a bunch of white trash in this town again). The referee then pulled my arm, so that I was moving toward the front door of the gym. She followed but I really cannot remember exactly what she, and I said, but after the few steps it took to reach the front of the gym, the coach’s son punched me I think in the right top of my shoulder or neck, but I cannot remember. This was not a kid; he looked to be in his late twenty’s. At that time I tried my best to get to him for that cheap shot, but both officials grabbed me and prevented me from getting to him. I struggled to reach him, but I finally came to my senses and gave up. By this time I was outside, and the female coach was threatening to call the police etc. so one of the officials walked me to my car, and said if I needed to contact he or the other official, they would be happy to give their input the way they viewed the situation. I just feel this coach could have just contacted the chapter if she did not like my officiating instead of handling the situation the way she did. She knew that nothing positive was going to happen by confronting me, other than an unpleasant situation. Even though my co-official called a large number of violations against North Zulch, the coach nor fans really blamed him because he resides in that general community, and it seemed like allot of people knew him at that game. I called this game the way I saw it, and really if North Zulch had scored on just a fifth of the open shots they had, the game would have been a blow out. With recent events at this town, i.e., a brawl between players, and fans last year during in a game with a team in the general vicinity, which was caused by racial slurs aimed at the black players on the opposing team, and a statement by my co-official about a biracial referee in our association that was called a n…….over and over again, and how sick he felt about it, I wonder why I am officiating. This is my third year, and I have been told that I have a good chance of getting playoff games this year. I stay in excellent shape, read every article I can find regarding rules, and mechanics, because I want to be as competent as possible, because I know the kids, fans, and coaches expect it. I do not officiate for the money; it’s about the love of the game, and watching the kids play. I have turned in a complaint to the Texas Association of Sports Officials; however I have allot of soul searching to do because I have noticed that fans are getting more abusive. Before I forget I wanted to mention how thankful I am for all of the officials that contribute to this forum. I have received a wealth of knowledge, so keep up the good work, and I will continue to visit the web site even if I decide to move on.
I wish you all a very Blessed and Safe Holiday!

Sincerely,
Mark
__________________
"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance"
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SW Kansas
Posts: 728
First up, some paragraph breaks would make this a little easier to read. All the text running together is making my eyes water.

Secondly, did you administer any technicals? I can't believe she was still around at the end of this game.

Thirdly, going with a coach who grabs you by the arm, especially after a game like that, is asking for trouble.
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,856
Just a few things...take em' or leave em'.

* Show strength in your games...through demeanor, mechanics, rules knowledge etc.

* Don't "YELL" at anyone...just say what needs to be said and move on.

* Don't get emotional...stay calm and cool in the face of calamity.

* Get thicker skin when dealing with fans...don't have "rabbit ears".

* Take care of business...if a coach/player needs it...whack em'.

* Stay away from volatile coaches after the game...nothing good can happen.

Those are just a few items to think about...
__________________
Dan Ivey
Tri-City Sports Officials Asso. (TCSOA)
Member since 1989
Richland, WA
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 02:15pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANCHMAN View Post
After North Zulch lost a close game, the female coach approached me and began explaining how my partner and I stole the game from them, and continued her tantrum with her arms flinging, etc.
Get off the court after the game, and into the locker room. Don't give her this chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANCHMAN View Post
Early in the fourth quarter with the opponent leading by about twelve points, I was handing the ball to a player for a throw in when the coach yelled something, so I looked over at her, and she yelled back very loudly “I AM NOT TALKING TO YOU”!
This is a T, especially given her growing antagonism towards you. She's trying to put you in your place and you let her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANCHMAN View Post
During the next time out I asked my co-official to change sides with me because I had spent the majority of the third quarter, and part of the fourth quarter along the bleachers that the North Zulch fans were occupying, and explained to him that the fans were making some really nasty remarks to me (I heard a fan call me a dumb b*****d, and several other names that of course upset me).
These fans should have been removed, especially if they called you profane names.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANCHMAN View Post
He moved over for me, then with about 1:20 left in the game, and North Zulch down by ten points I handed the ball to an opposing player for a throw in, and started my count. At that time I noticed a North Zulch player holding a hand full of jersey, so I called a holding violation. The North Zulch coach yelled very loudly across the court where everyone could hear her “YOU WILL NEVER OFFICATE HERE AGAIN”! (she said it twice).
This is a flagrant T, my friend. Coach is threatening you. Even if you didn't call the previous T, this is flagrant and coach is done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANCHMAN View Post
I then turned toward the front of the gym to leave when the North Zulch coach grabbed the left arm of my jacket and told me to follow her because she wanted to talk to me. When I turned to follow her one of the officials tugged my other arm and told me not to do that.
Listen to the other official next time. She should not have access to you after the game.

As for the assault, you should file charges. This man needs to go to jail for assaulting an official. Does Texas have aggravated penalties for assault on an official? I was considering it on the coach for grabbing your arm, but the punch is a no-brainer.

Finally, where the hell was her AD?
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 02:16pm
Esteemed Participant
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 4,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
First up, some paragraph breaks would make this a little easier to read. All the text running together is making my eyes water.

Secondly, did you administer any technicals? I can't believe she was still around at the end of this game.

Thirdly, going with a coach who grabs you by the arm, especially after a game like that, is asking for trouble.
So this "young" official sends in a situation which was obviously quite upsetting to him, and the best you can do is criticize his typing skills??? Get a life there in Kansas, would you.

And Ranchman, self-evaluation is always a good thing. But I can pretty much guarantee you that EVERY official goes through something like this at least once in their career. Whether it escalates to this level or not, there is always a game where the fans are horrible, the coach blames you in the local media, some player or parent files some kind of "complaint" against you, etc., etc. We have all gone through it. Quitting officiating would not be a good idea - the best advice I can give is to learn from this, talk to those other officials who were there and witnessed it, file charges against the guy who punched you, turn back any games you get from this school, and then get on with your officiating career. It's one game - how many good, fun games have you had? Bet it's more than one! Don't let the one bad one ruin all the other good experiences. You have to get back up in that saddle again.
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 1,278
1) Deal with the coach in the game. Personally sounds like you did not take care of her early. There are several ways of doing this.... Tell the coach to stop and then whack. Tell the coach and then tell a captain the coach is getting close to the line and help take care of it and then whack...Dont put up with it and whack...

2) If fans are yelling obscenities, why not get the game administration to address it. You would not let the yelling like that go on in a classroom would you?

3) Sounds like some mechanics issues to me... How can you referee an most of the time along one side line. Between switching on fouls, rotations, balls OOB, violations there has to be alot more moving that what you describe...

4) She yells twice you'll never officiate here again? and you dont run her? Where is your partner? If you did not run her and I was your partner I run her.

5) Why not just go into the locker room? The locker room is yours and she's not going to follow-you in. (one of the biggest arguments for changing at the gym)

6) Tell the coach to get out of your face and go to the locker room. In UT we have a no contact rule after the game. Violation is suspension of the coach.

7) Coach grabs my arm, the first thing I would tell her is to get her hands off me or she is going to jail.

7) You went after somone who hit you? You had witnesses on your side. Criminal Charges and Civil lawsuits will take care of that, but most of this would have been avoided if you went to the locker room and waited 15 minutes...

8) Where was your partner in all this?

9) why turn in a report to TASO? do they in turn file it with State/League Officials? If not the complaint should have gone to them...


Dont take this the wrong way but sounds like you need to work on some game mangement skills and (if you did not get the earlier point) learning how to go to the locker room after the game.

One of my pet peeves is an official (especially varsity) who comes to the game dressed, and runs out of the game as soon as it is done. (unless the school has no locker room... I have been to very few schools that dont offer the officials some sort of room...

And BTW did I ask where your partner was at?
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 07:07pm
Ch1town
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
RANCHMAN - First & foremost, I feel your pain! I too have been attacked AFTER a team lost a game to the better team. I know the frustration level you must be at right about now. You had nothing to do with the outcome, but it's easier for some people to place the blame on officials as opposed to looking at how many lay-ups & FTs they missed, how many TOs they committed, how lousy their defense & play calling was, etc, etc.

In addition to everything that's been said, I'd like to add 2 other words of advice:

1. From this day forward PLEASE understand that the court is yours! You have been entrusted in a position of authority. YOU & YOUR teammates are in charge of any/every thing that happens on the court... before, during & after the contest.
I don't know your experience level, but your description of events sounds as if you allowed much too much talking & not enough coaching. Sometimes a good T allows the coach to regain their focus and coach their team to a victory. Take it or leave it...

2. Try to forgive them ASAP!! Don't let this eat at you & turn you sour to the avocation. The sooner you let this go (by all means, press charges & pursue justice) and make a choice to use this as a learning experience, the better.
Take it or leave it...


My experience has changed my life & I'm a better person since going through it.


Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. -Charles Swindoll
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 07:11pm
certified Hot Mom tester
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: only in my own mind, such as it is
Posts: 12,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
1. From this day forward PLEASE understand that the court is yours! You have been entrusted in a position of authority. YOU & YOUR teammates are in charge of any/every thing that happens on the court... before, during & after the contest.
Simply put - be in control of the game without controlling the game.
__________________
Yom HaShoah
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 08:55pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Near Dog River (sorta)
Posts: 8,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANCHMAN View Post
I officiated a tournament Girls Varsity game in North Zulch, Texas. It involved a game between North Zulch, and a team they should have easily defeated, (since they obviously wanted to advance in their own tournament). I think the root of the problem that I encountered was the result of a girl’s varsity game that I officiated in North Zulch last year. After North Zulch lost a close game, the female coach approached me and began explaining how my partner and I stole the game from them, and continued her tantrum with her arms flinging, etc. In the tournament game I am referring to today, everything seemed to be fine in the first half because North Zulch girls had a lead. From my standpoint the head coach only questioned three violations I called on a young lady on her team. In each case I yelled “get out of the lane” several times and she would just not move, so I had no choice but to call three second violations. In the third quarter after the opposing team took the lead, the coach for North Zulch began showing a growing antagonism toward me. She at one point yelled across court why I called a palming violation on one of her girls when her hand was not under the ball. I told her that the ball did not have to placed on the bottom of the ball to have a violation in this case. My co-official, and I had called several traveling, double dribbles, and palming violations on this particular young lady. Early in the fourth quarter with the opponent leading by about twelve points, I was handing the ball to a player for a throw in when the coach yelled something, so I looked over at her, and she yelled back very loudly “I AM NOT TALKING TO YOU”! During the next time out I asked my co-official to change sides with me because I had spent the majority of the third quarter, and part of the fourth quarter along the bleachers that the North Zulch fans were occupying, and explained to him that the fans were making some really nasty remarks to me (I heard a fan call me a dumb b*****d, and several other names that of course upset me). He moved over for me, then with about 1:20 left in the game, and North Zulch down by ten points I handed the ball to an opposing player for a throw in, and started my count. At that time I noticed a North Zulch player holding a hand full of jersey, so I called a holding violation. The North Zulch coach yelled very loudly across the court where everyone could hear her “YOU WILL NEVER OFFICATE HERE AGAIN”! (she said it twice). After the game I walked to the refs changing room, and noticed two officials that I have a tremendous amount of respect for standing outside the dressing room door, so I said my hellos. I then turned toward the front of the gym to leave when the North Zulch coach grabbed the left arm of my jacket and told me to follow her because she wanted to talk to me. When I turned to follow her one of the officials tugged my other arm and told me not to do that. At that point in a very nasty voice she told me that I would NEVER officiate in North Zulch again, did I understand! I then lost my composure, and I think I said something really unprofessional like,( I would not lower myself to officiate a bunch of white trash in this town again). The referee then pulled my arm, so that I was moving toward the front door of the gym. She followed but I really cannot remember exactly what she, and I said, but after the few steps it took to reach the front of the gym, the coach’s son punched me I think in the right top of my shoulder or neck, but I cannot remember. This was not a kid; he looked to be in his late twenty’s. At that time I tried my best to get to him for that cheap shot, but both officials grabbed me and prevented me from getting to him. I struggled to reach him, but I finally came to my senses and gave up. By this time I was outside, and the female coach was threatening to call the police etc. so one of the officials walked me to my car, and said if I needed to contact he or the other official, they would be happy to give their input the way they viewed the situation. I just feel this coach could have just contacted the chapter if she did not like my officiating instead of handling the situation the way she did. She knew that nothing positive was going to happen by confronting me, other than an unpleasant situation. Even though my co-official called a large number of violations against North Zulch, the coach nor fans really blamed him because he resides in that general community, and it seemed like allot of people knew him at that game. I called this game the way I saw it, and really if North Zulch had scored on just a fifth of the open shots they had, the game would have been a blow out. With recent events at this town, i.e., a brawl between players, and fans last year during in a game with a team in the general vicinity, which was caused by racial slurs aimed at the black players on the opposing team, and a statement by my co-official about a biracial referee in our association that was called a n…….over and over again, and how sick he felt about it, I wonder why I am officiating. This is my third year, and I have been told that I have a good chance of getting playoff games this year. I stay in excellent shape, read every article I can find regarding rules, and mechanics, because I want to be as competent as possible, because I know the kids, fans, and coaches expect it. I do not officiate for the money; it’s about the love of the game, and watching the kids play. I have turned in a complaint to the Texas Association of Sports Officials; however I have allot of soul searching to do because I have noticed that fans are getting more abusive. Before I forget I wanted to mention how thankful I am for all of the officials that contribute to this forum. I have received a wealth of knowledge, so keep up the good work, and I will continue to visit the web site even if I decide to move on.
I wish you all a very Blessed and Safe Holiday!

Sincerely,
Mark
Whack.

Stop the game and get game management escort this person outta there.

Flagrant Whack.

I'd remove my arm immediately and say "Have a nice night."

Press charges.

I stopped reading when I read the word 'racial' and the n word. Don't go back there. Encourage others not to go too. Maybe they'll get the idea.
__________________
Pope Francis
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
So this "young" official sends in a situation which was obviously quite upsetting to him, and the best you can do is criticize his typing skills??? Get a life there in Kansas, would you.
This was important to this young official. I wanted to read his story but it was too difficult on a computer screen without the paragraph breaks.

Proper communication is important. Paragraph breaks are part of that.

Rita
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lakewood, Ohio
Posts: 710
Quote:
I stopped reading when I read the word 'racial' and the n word. Don't go back there. Encourage others not to go too. Maybe they'll get the idea.
I disagree. I am not a fan of political correctness, but this is just wrong. The Texas High School Athletic Association (not the officials Association) needs to know the situation there so that sanctions can be made to correct an absolutely heinous situation. TASO cannot be expected to orchestrate a boycott. Thats just fantasy. Specific and serious action needs to be taken against that school community. If the bylaws of the THSAA is anything like the OHSAA here in Ohio, they are the only ones with the muscle to affect change there.

Forget the mistakes made by a young and inexperienced official, they do not mitigate the culpability of the athletic administration of an entire school that allows this type of behavior. The school should be suspended from all interscholastic activity until a proactive and corrective action is instituted. I am truly disturbed to read this.
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 10
Take care of business

You got what you gave.............
It is what it is...................

You let her control your crew and didn't do anything about it.
You gave her the chance and she abused it, and you did nothing about it.
Coaches are to coach, you are to officiate. When coaches officiate, you should have whacked her.
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 11:29pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75 View Post
Forget the mistakes made by a young and inexperienced official, they do not mitigate the culpability of the athletic administration of an entire school that allows this type of behavior.
No one here said the crew in any way mitigated the coach's culpability here.

That said, she put the crew in their place, and they let her. She walked all over them, and by not doing anything early, she was essentially encouraged to escalate her behavior. She acted exactly like you'd expect a toddler to act when she throws a tantrum and the parents simply acquiesce.

That said, I have no idea how the organizational structure works in Texas, but I'd be filing complaints and charges and reports with everyone.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 11:31pm
APG APG is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANCHMAN View Post
I officiated a tournament Girls Varsity game in North Zulch, Texas. It involved a game between North Zulch, and a team they should have easily defeated, (since they obviously wanted to advance in their own tournament). I think the root of the problem that I encountered was the result of a girl’s varsity game that I officiated in North Zulch last year. After North Zulch lost a close game, the female coach approached me and began explaining how my partner and I stole the game from them, and continued her tantrum with her arms flinging, etc. In the tournament game I am referring to today, everything seemed to be fine in the first half because North Zulch girls had a lead. From my standpoint the head coach only questioned three violations I called on a young lady on her team. In each case I yelled “get out of the lane” several times and she would just not move, so I had no choice but to call three second violations. In the third quarter after the opposing team took the lead, the coach for North Zulch began showing a growing antagonism toward me. She at one point yelled across court why I called a palming violation on one of her girls when her hand was not under the ball. I told her that the ball did not have to placed on the bottom of the ball to have a violation in this case. My co-official, and I had called several traveling, double dribbles, and palming violations on this particular young lady. Early in the fourth quarter with the opponent leading by about twelve points, I was handing the ball to a player for a throw in when the coach yelled something, so I looked over at her, and she yelled back very loudly “I AM NOT TALKING TO YOU”! During the next time out I asked my co-official to change sides with me because I had spent the majority of the third quarter, and part of the fourth quarter along the bleachers that the North Zulch fans were occupying, and explained to him that the fans were making some really nasty remarks to me (I heard a fan call me a dumb b*****d, and several other names that of course upset me). He moved over for me, then with about 1:20 left in the game, and North Zulch down by ten points I handed the ball to an opposing player for a throw in, and started my count. At that time I noticed a North Zulch player holding a hand full of jersey, so I called a holding violation. The North Zulch coach yelled very loudly across the court where everyone could hear her “YOU WILL NEVER OFFICATE HERE AGAIN”! (she said it twice). After the game I walked to the refs changing room, and noticed two officials that I have a tremendous amount of respect for standing outside the dressing room door, so I said my hellos. I then turned toward the front of the gym to leave when the North Zulch coach grabbed the left arm of my jacket and told me to follow her because she wanted to talk to me. When I turned to follow her one of the officials tugged my other arm and told me not to do that. At that point in a very nasty voice she told me that I would NEVER officiate in North Zulch again, did I understand! I then lost my composure, and I think I said something really unprofessional like,( I would not lower myself to officiate a bunch of white trash in this town again). The referee then pulled my arm, so that I was moving toward the front door of the gym. She followed but I really cannot remember exactly what she, and I said, but after the few steps it took to reach the front of the gym, the coach’s son punched me I think in the right top of my shoulder or neck, but I cannot remember. This was not a kid; he looked to be in his late twenty’s. At that time I tried my best to get to him for that cheap shot, but both officials grabbed me and prevented me from getting to him. I struggled to reach him, but I finally came to my senses and gave up. By this time I was outside, and the female coach was threatening to call the police etc. so one of the officials walked me to my car, and said if I needed to contact he or the other official, they would be happy to give their input the way they viewed the situation. I just feel this coach could have just contacted the chapter if she did not like my officiating instead of handling the situation the way she did. She knew that nothing positive was going to happen by confronting me, other than an unpleasant situation. Even though my co-official called a large number of violations against North Zulch, the coach nor fans really blamed him because he resides in that general community, and it seemed like allot of people knew him at that game. I called this game the way I saw it, and really if North Zulch had scored on just a fifth of the open shots they had, the game would have been a blow out. With recent events at this town, i.e., a brawl between players, and fans last year during in a game with a team in the general vicinity, which was caused by racial slurs aimed at the black players on the opposing team, and a statement by my co-official about a biracial referee in our association that was called a n…….over and over again, and how sick he felt about it, I wonder why I am officiating. This is my third year, and I have been told that I have a good chance of getting playoff games this year. I stay in excellent shape, read every article I can find regarding rules, and mechanics, because I want to be as competent as possible, because I know the kids, fans, and coaches expect it. I do not officiate for the money; it’s about the love of the game, and watching the kids play. I have turned in a complaint to the Texas Association of Sports Officials; however I have allot of soul searching to do because I have noticed that fans are getting more abusive. Before I forget I wanted to mention how thankful I am for all of the officials that contribute to this forum. I have received a wealth of knowledge, so keep up the good work, and I will continue to visit the web site even if I decide to move on.
I wish you all a very Blessed and Safe Holiday!

Sincerely,
Mark
Everyone has already told you how you could of possibly handled things in game and post game...only thing I'd add, is to make sure you report this incident to UIL. The following link will take you to an incident report page. UIL Incident Report page It's important for the state to be made aware of this situation. Second, I'd make sure to file the appropriate charges. Not only was this inappropriate on the coaches part, you have witnesses to back you up.
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lakewood, Ohio
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
No one here said the crew in any way mitigated the coach's culpability here.

That said, she put the crew in their place, and they let her. She walked all over them, and by not doing anything early, she was essentially encouraged to escalate her behavior. She acted exactly like you'd expect a toddler to act when she throws a tantrum and the parents simply acquiesce.

That said, I have no idea how the organizational structure works in Texas, but I'd be filing complaints and charges and reports with everyone.
I'm not disputing that at all. Many of the problems at the game as described in the OP were created by the officials mishandling the situation. I am just appalled at the disfuntional situation at that school district that trancends any culpability by the officials.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coach Attacked bigsig Softball 5 Thu Oct 25, 2007 03:50pm
Umpire attacked Carl Childress Baseball 36 Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:29am
Attacked Official. JRutledge Basketball 22 Wed Jan 14, 2004 04:35pm
Ump attacked saturday..... chris s Softball 6 Wed May 14, 2003 10:49am
ump attacked.... chris s Baseball 2 Wed May 14, 2003 10:10am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1