The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 12:37am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
This was important to this young official. I wanted to read his story but it was too difficult on a computer screen without the paragraph breaks.

Proper communication is important. Paragraph breaks are part of that.

Rita
It wasn't that difficult to read, for crying out loud. Try reading 7th grade research reports for a couple of days - those are hard to read!
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
It wasn't that difficult to read, for crying out loud. Try reading 7th grade research reports for a couple of days - those are hard to read!
He wrote it well. It's just difficult to read on a computer when there aren't paragraphs. I tried "underlining" going line by line to make it easier to follow.

Rita
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 02:03am
Official Forum Member

Ranchman,

Wow. What a nightmare.

I sincerely want to offer my support. We've all had a really bad game or three and questioned whether we want to continue officiating. I certainly have. I know all too well the emotional roller coaster you're on right now.

Though it doesn't seem like it today, this experience was a gift from the officiating gods. It highlighted some very glaring weaknesses that have gone unaddressed during your meteoric rise. Whether this experience ultimately becomes a stumbling block or a stepping stone to your career depends entirely upon your answer to one straightforward question: What will you do about these weaknesses?

"Most people, sometime in their lives, stumble across truth. Most jump up, brush themselves off, and hurry on about their business as if nothing had happened." -- Winston Churchill
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 02:34am
Official Forum Member

Long time reader, first time posting. I share this as a police officer of ten years that has been fortunate to officiate as well for six years.

There is an all too common set of circumstances in the posts that I have been reading and news articles pertaining to attacks (verbal and physical) on officials. I give this small tidbit of "officiating tactically" advice that I try to use each game.

As officials, we do a great job of officiating the game as we see it. We anticipate (within reason) the action on the court and with increasing experience, we can normally "expect" how the action will go. However, after the final whistle we digress into lemmings that often do not show the level headed calm that we show during four quarters of basketball. While assaults on the court before and during a game are thankfully a rare occurrence, assaults after the game are unfortunately becoming more and more common. That being said, here are a couple of things to think about that I try to remember after I have tucked my whistle in my shirt and headed towards the showers.

*Hustle. Try as hard as they might, a coach, fan, player, or parent can not provide a valid reason why there should ever be a discussion with an official after a game. So why even allow that individual to approach you. You hustle during the game, hustle after it as well. Get into whatever broom closet the school gives you and get out of sight. In the cases that I have unfortunately investigated in a law enforcement role, the common factor is emotion. After a cooling off period, even a screaming parent will lose their steam. So will we. Besides, can you think of a way to make an angry person look like a bigger moron than to allow them to stand and yell at a closed door?

*Patience. Short of a loved one going into labor, I really can't think of a reason why anyone needs to set a NASCAR record for changing and getting out of the building. For any number of reasons, take the time after the game to let the crowd and any would be "top story" candidates to thin and forget why they were even upset in the first place. Thankfully, fans have a very short attention span which is proved whenever you call something great their way (cheers) but then call it the exact same way 80 feet away (boos).

*Hindsight. If you know that the potential for bodily injury is there in any official vs angry fan WWE melee past incident, why commit the same mistakes and/or oversights others before you have made? If Bubba wants to "tune you up" for calling fouls on his his little prince, why even allow ourselves to be put into that situation?

And lastly -
*Position. We know that our heads have to be on a swivel the whole game but put on blinders as we run off the floor. If all else fails, do not turn your head on whatever aggressor you are faced with. Screaming banshees are inherently cowards and will jump at the first opportunity to "hit and run" we give them. If you can't get away, give yourself a chance and keep an eye on the problem child and or parent.

I apologize for the length but I am very much committed to making sure that no other fellow official is the lead story on the nightly news for getting attacked. In my time as a police officer I have had the opportunity to work in several rural counties where, simply by my profession, I was not liked. This was always compounded by the fact that the guy that just got out of the state police car is also officiating the most important game in the history of basketball (as we all know they always are). Ranchman made some admitted mistakes but I say that they are mistakes he (and us) will not soon forget. But the best thing to come out of this is the fact that with the exception of a little sting physically and to his pride, he went home in the same condition as when he arrived.

And in both of my professions, that is always a win and something that will never be sacrificed.

Cory.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 03:48am
Official Forum Member

A quick google reveals the coach is also the AD. The state association should be aware and should take action. While yes, the official probably should have controlled her earlier, publically threatening an official either physically or economically deserves sanctions, with a game suspension for the coach the minimum and given her position as AD, the schoool ought to be puton probation in all sports for a spell.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 06:13am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75 View Post
I disagree. I am not a fan of political correctness, but this is just wrong. The Texas High School Athletic Association (not the officials Association) needs to know the situation there so that sanctions can be made to correct an absolutely heinous situation. TASO cannot be expected to orchestrate a boycott. Thats just fantasy. Specific and serious action needs to be taken against that school community. If the bylaws of the THSAA is anything like the OHSAA here in Ohio, they are the only ones with the muscle to affect change there.

Forget the mistakes made by a young and inexperienced official, they do not mitigate the culpability of the athletic administration of an entire school that allows this type of behavior. The school should be suspended from all interscholastic activity until a proactive and corrective action is instituted. I am truly disturbed to read this.
What exactly is wrong?

I never said that TASO should orchestrate a boycott. In my local area, there is a wreck league that many people have said that they will no longer work. But there has been no official stance from our assigning group that the group as a whole is boycotting. Instead, a large number of officials from the top half of our association have just said, "I'm not available" for those games. And this is not fantasy - it is real life, and it works!

You're confusing a an association-wide boycott with a bunch of officials saying that they're unavailable for certain games, often individually even before they "talk to each other".

Are you saying that all of this school's sports should be halted because of the basketball coach?
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 06:18am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
A quick google reveals the coach is also the AD. The state association should be aware and should take action. While yes, the official probably should have controlled her earlier, publically threatening an official either physically or economically deserves sanctions, with a game suspension for the coach the minimum and given her position as AD, the schoool ought to be puton probation in all sports for a spell.
I don't agree with all sports being punished. Yes the woman (IIRC) is teh AD, but other sports likely have a different coach, who can filter this peson's influence to the children and other game participants.

I think that dealing with the basketball coach and AD first is the more correct way to go.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

This situation accentuates the problems that newer officials have in dealing with coaches.

When to talk...how much do you say....how much do you take before a t is given????

Since i am new(second year), I have found that my best games have been the ones I was assigned to work with a quality ref, one that has good skills in this area.

I had a game on Friday BJV, in which the winning coach was quite vocal and questions all calls. I have a loud voice. I called a push off on one of his guys and he yelled.. "what did you call?". I thought I was just talking but I said "He pushed him off??? and moved my arm.

Coach says " YOu don't have to yell at me" So, I walked over with a smile and said.. "sorry coach I'm not yelling, I just get excited and talk loud" Seemed to calm him down.

Later after he kept yelling "3 seconds", for about the 20th time. I said " Coach do you want me to just stand there and look for 3 seconds or do you want me to manage all of the game activities and fouls?"

What are your thoughts on this??
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
He wrote it well. It's just difficult to read on a computer when there aren't paragraphs. I tried "underlining" going line by line to make it easier to follow.

Rita
I gotta agree. And this is coming from a UCSD graduate, who also tutors kids who have difficulty writing essays. One thing I've learned from my journalism experience, is that readers love paragraphs. This is why when you read newspaper and magazine articles, you will see plenty of paragraph breaks.

The other problem, stems from the structural layout of these forums. I also own a VBulletin forum, but I have a different setup, so that the membership profile and info align to the left (therxforum.com), as a column, as opposed to this place's setup, where it aligns on top of the posts. This can be extremely problematic, as the lines of words end up stretching the entire width of the monitor, and it can cause the reader to lose their place in the paragraph. This layout is a huge no-no in webdesign, which I've also studied extensively.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

I understand your frustration, but the second you made a racial remark, you lost my sympathy.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

I would have hit her with a T and then another for each yell across the court. Anytime someone begins their rant with the word "you", then I better like every word I hear out of their mouth. So she is gone. After the game...get off the court. A nod to the table....I dont care if anyone says good bye or not. And then the other thing is....you cant quote silence. Coach wants to yell down the hall at you...fine. Coach wants to yell at you on the court....fine. Dont respond. Because however right you are....a coach will say you are wrong. Its all perception. And, for the matter of you not working a particular school again...Oh well. There are hundreds of other games for you to officiate. If you dont go to Podunk HS in Podunk USA thats fine.

The only other thing is that whenever a partner or senior official takes your arm and wants you to back off...take the urging. He is seeing it through cleaner lenses than you are...and in the long run is trying to avoid ugliness down the road. Report the incident immediately and get ready for your next game.

And, while Im thinking of it...an assigner knows of a difficult previous situation and sends you back. I dont know about that one.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

One good thing that comes out of this is you'll never have to ref at North Gulch again. I think everyone here has gone through situations similar, maybe not as amped up as yours, and learned from them, I know I have. If you can remain calm and take care of business, you will have done your job and in retrospect, all involved will look back and recognize your professionalism in handling the situation.

Officiating has helped me grow as a person. In confrontations of any nature, I have a quick tongue. I've disciplined myself through officiating and it has served me well. Just my two cents.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Good information

I apologize for not entering my post in a more easy to

read format. I was just rambling with emotion, and did

not pay attention to my presentation, so I agree it was

difficult to "keep my eyes from watering" also!

I think that it is an excellent idea to dress at the school,

and appreciate the advise. I just had no idea how

important this was because I never found that topic in

the rule book. I can understand this is not a subject that

is on the top of the agenda while getting advise from more

experienced officials, but maybe it should be.

Some small rural counties in Texas are very "tight knit",

therefore if an "outsider" were to file charges against one

of the "local folk", justice would never be served, so filing

charges is out of the question.

I was advised by my chapter to file a complaint with

TASO. The form to complete looks exactly the same as

the one provided by the UIL, so I have been under the

impression that these two organizations work togeather.

This community seems to be a throw back in history,

so if I offended any readers with the "racist attitude",

remarks that I gained knowledge of, from individuals who

had first hand knowledge, again I apologize.

A few more experienced officals than I, seem to be more

comfortable staying on one side of the court, so game

game management is a difficult task during these

circumstances.

In hind-site I should have called a T on the coach, but

they were in their new stadium, it was their tournament,

and my partner with ten years experience obviously did

not see a problem. I really like this guy, and I called him

when I was driving home. He was eating with his

daughters in the hospitality room, and he apologized for

what happened, but I told him that I did not expect an

apology from him for the action of others.

I never try to acknoledge the crowd, so I probably

would have had a difficult time trying to figure out who

was cursing me in a packed gym.

Finally, I do appreciate all the input, and I will try to

do a better job with the knowledge I have gained. Thank

you so much for the support, and again I wish you all a

very Safe and Wonderful Holiday!
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post

I had a game on Friday BJV, in which the winning coach was quite vocal and questions all calls. I have a loud voice. I called a push off on one of his guys and he yelled.. "what did you call?". I thought I was just talking but I said "He pushed him off??? and moved my arm.

Coach says " YOu don't have to yell at me" So, I walked over with a smile and said.. "sorry coach I'm not yelling, I just get excited and talk loud" Seemed to calm him down.
I think here I might go up to him and say I had a foul and this is your warning, no more commenting on the officiating. I wouldn't apologize, he yelled first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
Later after he kept yelling "3 seconds", for about the 20th time. I said " Coach do you want me to just stand there and look for 3 seconds or do you want me to manage all of the game activities and fouls?"

What are your thoughts on this??
If you warned him it is time for a T. Also, I believe when you talk to a coach short statements are the best.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 03:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANCHMAN View Post
I think that it is an excellent idea to dress at the school, and appreciate the advise. I just had no idea how important this was because I never found that topic in the rule book. I can understand this is not a subject that is on the top of the agenda while getting advise from more experienced officials, but maybe it should be.
It depends on where you are. Around here, it's drilled into us; show up looking professional, do not show up in your officiating uniform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANCHMAN View Post
Some small rural counties in Texas are very "tight knit", therefore if an "outsider" were to file charges against one of the "local folk", justice would never be served, so filing charges is out of the question.
It's your choice, but I disagree. Find out if it's considered a felony in Texas to assault an official. File the charges with the highest authority possible. If it goes nowhere, it goes nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANCHMAN
A few more experienced officals than I, seem to be more comfortable staying on one side of the court, so game management is a difficult task during these circumstances.
This is exactly why the mechanics are for us to move around and switch at the given opportunities.

Quote:
In hind-site I should have called a T on the coach, but they were in their new stadium, it was their tournament, and my partner with ten years experience obviously did not see a problem. I really like this guy, and I called him when I was driving home. He was eating with his daughters in the hospitality room, and he apologized for what happened, but I told him that I did not expect an apology from him for the action of others.
Your partner was right to apologize; he left you hanging out there. He should have backed you up. The first time coach yelled at you and you didn't deal with it, I would have talked to you about it if I was your partner. When she threatened that you'd never work there again, I would have given you about as long as it took her to finish repeating it to make the call, and if you didn't, I would have called a Flagrant Technical on her. A regular T isn't enough. This is a one and done T.
Quote:
I never try to acknoledge the crowd, so I probably would have had a difficult time trying to figure out who was cursing me in a packed gym.
Fair enough, but my rule of thumb is that if in spite of your best efforts the comments are bothering you and affecting your focus; it needs to be addressed.

Quote:
Finally, I do appreciate all the input, and I will try to do a better job with the knowledge I have gained.
This is the best way to approach it; a learning experience.