The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 11:56am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking Weird non-game incidents on the court

A buddy told me the other day that during a game, there was a power outage in the 3rd quarter. The custodian tried to get the power back on for about 30 minutes but couldn't, so they called the game. He found out later (on the news) that some driver hit a power pole in that neighborhood. Ironically, it was a player's relative who was coming to the game to pick up the player to take him home. He asked me if I ever had something that weird happen that wasn't part of the actual playing of the game. I told him about an incident a few years ago when a dog ran out onto the court during play. Some lady brought her "teacup poodle" to the game inside her purse. She put the purse down during the first quarter and the dog ran out, down the bleacher steps and onto the court. We caught it and gave it back, telling her that if it happened again, she'd have to leave. I also told both coaches that players had to wait to be beckoned and needed to have jerseys. Not only that, the dog wasn't even in the book!

Any good stories?
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 01:55pm
Ref Ump Welsch

This may not come close to yours, but about two months ago, just a few days before Halloween, I go to work a high school YMCA league at a middle school gym. The middle school is being renovated, and therefore has a temporary electrical line that sways when it is quite windy. That particular day was very windy, and the line kept swaying, and some of the lights would go on and off in the gym, but we still had enough light to continue play. However, the electrical shortage sometimes caused the scoreboard to go off and we had to resort to having the timer use a stopwatch.

There was a point where the lights flickered as I was ready to administer a throw-in and a couple of the lights actually went out. The boy looked at me and asked, what the heck is going on? I just replied, you never played halloween ball before?
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Leakin'

I had a game at an old worn out gym in the middle of a huge thunderstorm. Roof started leaking onto the court. We had game management wiping the floor everytime down the floor, but the floor was still getting wet. We finally stopped play mid-way in the second quarter. The R told game management to put a towel down where the floor was wet. He told the coaches we were going to play with it there and to make their players awair it was part of the floor.

Played rest of the game with the wet towel on the floor. Weirdest game I've been in but coaches didn't say a word.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 08:39pm
Ch1town

Thank God nothing bad happened, sounds like a violation of our Code of Ethics.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
I had a game at an old worn out gym in the middle of a huge thunderstorm. Roof started leaking onto the court. We had game management wiping the floor everytime down the floor, but the floor was still getting wet. We finally stopped play mid-way in the second quarter. The R told game management to put a towel down where the floor was wet. He told the coaches we were going to play with it there and to make their players awair it was part of the floor.

Played rest of the game with the wet towel on the floor. Weirdest game I've been in but coaches didn't say a word.
Not a chance..That's a lawsuit waiting to happen...yikes..

-Josh
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 12:00pm
This IS My Social Life

Wierd? You Decide

Mark P.,
I picked up a turd last year during a frosh boys' game, thinking it was a Baby Ruth, but it wasn't.
Does that count?
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 12:05pm
This IS My Social Life

Safety Pin Zipper Repair

Mark P.,
Back in '81 (back when tight pants were in, even for referees), I recall having the zipper on my pants somehow break during a game. Hustled into the dressing room during a time-out and thought I'd do a quick repair with a safety pin.
Safety pin gave way very soon thereafter and . . . OUCH!!!
Had to hustle back into the locker room, very carefully as I ran. OUCH!...OUCH!...OUCH!!!
Can't remember how I resolved it after that.
Does that count?
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 04:14pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Mark P.,
I picked up a turd last year during a frosh boys' game, thinking it was a Baby Ruth, but it wasn't.
Does that count?
Aye, that explains the sign in the bathroom when I ate at Fazoli's today, which gave five instances when one should wash their hands. Number 5: After touching any body part.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 05:21pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
A buddy told me the other day that during a game, there was a power outage in the 3rd quarter. The custodian tried to get the power back on for about 30 minutes but couldn't, so they called the game. He found out later (on the news) that some driver hit a power pole in that neighborhood. Ironically, it was a player's relative who was coming to the game to pick up the player to take him home. He asked me if I ever had something that weird happen that wasn't part of the actual playing of the game. I told him about an incident a few years ago when a dog ran out onto the court during play. Some lady brought her "teacup poodle" to the game inside her purse. She put the purse down during the first quarter and the dog ran out, down the bleacher steps and onto the court. We caught it and gave it back, telling her that if it happened again, she'd have to leave. I also told both coaches that players had to wait to be beckoned and needed to have jerseys. Not only that, the dog wasn't even in the book!

Any good stories?
I once went to see a fight and a hockey game broke out.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 05:40pm
Administrator

The fire alarm went off in the middle of the second quarter of a boys' H.S. varsity game. My partner, who as sinced passed on due to cancer, was the police chief of a neighboring community and I looked at each other and kept the game going. About a minute later during a timeout, an announcement was made that the alarm was a false alarm.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio