The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
BillyMac referenced the correct Sections and Articles in the NFHS Rules. In the original post, A1 would be charged with the TF per R1-S3-A5a even though Team A previously received an Official Warning per R4-S47. In fact, this would still be a TF charged to A1 even if Team A had NOT received an Official Warning for an infraction of R4-S47, but A1's TF would trigger an Official Warning to Team A.

MTD, Sr.
Sorry, MTD, but you are incorrect. You are also confusing some people.

The action of A1, knocking the ball away following a made goal, is not worthy of a player technical foul. The NFHS says so directly in the Case Book. A1 would have to do something above and beyond a normal batting of the ball, such as throwing it into the 10th row, to get charged with an unsporting foul.

10.1.5 SITUATION D:
Immediately following a goal by A1, A3 slaps the ball
away so that Team B is unable to make a quick throw-in.
RULING: The official
shall sound his/her whistle and go to the table to have the scorer record a team
warning for delay. The warning shall then be reported to the head coach of Team

A. Any subsequent delay by Team A shall result in a team technical foul charged
to Team A. (4-47-3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
How does one differentiate a team technical (10-1) from a player technical for (10-3) when a player prevents the ball from being made live promptly or from being put in play by interfering with the ball following a goal?
If the infraction committed is one of the four items listed as a team delay, then that is the proper call. 10-3-5a is used for other ways in which a player delays the game. An example would be refusing to occupy the proper half of the center restraining circle for the jump ball to begin the first quarter or an overtime period in a timely manner.

Quote:
Are free throw huddles and/or court not ready (water), always team technicals after a warning?
YES.

Quote:
Can crossing the boundary line ever be a player technical after a team warning? Or is it always a team technical?
NO. Crossing the boundary WITHOUT making any contact with the ball or the player is always a team warning or team technical. NEVER to the player. Crossing the boundary and contacting the ball while it is in the thrower's hands is a player technical.

Quote:
I thought I understood these delays. Not so. I'm getting confused. Help me, or, I swear, I'll make another study guide, and this is not an idle threat.
You are confused because MTD wrote something which is incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyClyde 68 View Post
I called it a direct t on A1. He caused the delay. I still think I was right!!!!!
Nope, you got it wrong. Read what I wrote above to BillyMac and MTD. Pay special attention to the NFHS case play.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
If it's one of the things that we give a delay warning for, then the technical (for delay) goes on the team. If it's not one of the things that we give a warning for, then it goes on the player.

Breaking the plane receives a warning the first time. So the second time, it could be done by a different kid. Therefore, the team gets the foul, not the kid.

Touching the ball while the inbounder is holding it does not get a warning. Therefore, it goes directly on the kid.

Similarly, rolling the ball away from the official in frustration delays the game but does not receive a warning. So you if call a kid for traveling and he rolls the ball to the other end of the gym, technical foul on the player, not just the team.
Not only are you correct, but you were much faster.

However, I did cite the case play.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 10:08am
In Time Out

Thanks, I was wrong for the second time in my life!
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 07:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Patrick Ewing Rule ???

Thanks Nevadaref and Scrapper1. I'm less confused now.

I really like Nevadaref's casebook citation. I would have issued a technical foul, with no warning, in this situation, and I would have been wrong. Isn't this what Patrick Ewing did at the end of the game when Georgetown lost in an NCAA final (to Villanova or North Carolina), which caused this rule to be added to the rulebook? Ewing may be responsible for two rules, delaying the game, and undershirt colors.

10.1.5 SITUATION D: Immediately following a goal by A1, A3 slaps the ball
away so that Team B is unable to make a quick throw-in. RULING: The official
shall sound his/her whistle and go to the table to have the scorer record a teamwarning for delay. The warning shall then be reported to the head coach of Team A. Any subsequent delay by Team A shall result in a team technical foul charged to Team A. (4-47-3)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 08:43pm
Administrator

Recanting of my previous statement.

I read too much into the OP and whole hardely agree with 2008-09 NFHS Casebook Play SITUATION D. I was thinking of a situation where, instead of A1 just knocking the ball away so as to delay Team B for a few seconds from starting its throw-in, I was thinking of a situation where A1 grabs the ball and hurls it into the stands or up court towards Team B's basket.

Under the situation that I present, A1's conduct goes beyond what R4-S47 covers.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio