The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Delay Penality (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50338-delay-penality.html)

BillyClyde 68 Sun Dec 14, 2008 05:09pm

Delay Penality

Team A has one delay warning for water on the floor after a 30 To. Late in the game Player A1 scores a layup and hits the ball away from Team B so they can set up the press. T foul. Correct. Does this go on the player or is it a admin foul?????

co2ice Sun Dec 14, 2008 05:20pm

Since they have been warned all ready the T is the correct call, it counts towards the team total, not personal.

BillyClyde 68 Sun Dec 14, 2008 05:21pm

So this would not be a T on the player, only on the team?

JRutledge Sun Dec 14, 2008 05:49pm

Yes.

Peace

VTOfficial Sun Dec 14, 2008 05:59pm

How does this affect the head coach?

Does a technical foul for a delay put the seatbelt on the head coach?

JRutledge Sun Dec 14, 2008 06:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTOfficial (Post 558091)

No Team Technical Fouls have anything to do directly or indirectly with the coach.

Peace

just another ref Sun Dec 14, 2008 06:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTOfficial (Post 558091)

No, since this foul is not charged to the coach, neither directly or indirectly.

bob jenkins Sun Dec 14, 2008 06:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyClyde 68 (Post 558081)

The T is listed in 10-1, so it's a Team T.

BillyMac Sun Dec 14, 2008 07:11pm

All Delay Technicals Team Technicals ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 558100)
The T is listed in 10-1, so it's a Team T.

Are any of the four "delay technicals" (free throw huddle, crossing boundary line, interfere with ball after goal, court not ready(water)) charged to a player???

NFHS 10-3-5-a: A player shall not delay the game by acts such as: Preventing the ball from being made live promptly or from being put in
play. (10-3 lists player technicals)

NFHS 10-1-5-e: A team shall not allow the game to develop into an actionless contest, this includes the following and similar acts: Interfering with the ball following a goal after any team warning for delay. (10-1 lists team technicals)

refnrev Sun Dec 14, 2008 07:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyClyde 68 (Post 558081)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Dec 14, 2008 09:39pm

BillyMac referenced the correct Sections and Articles in the NFHS Rules. In the original post, A1 would be charged with the TF per R1-S3-A5a even though Team A previously received an Official Warning per R4-S47. In fact, this would still be a TF charged to A1 even if Team A had NOT received an Official Warning for an infraction of R4-S47, but A1's TF would trigger an Official Warning to Team A.

MTD, Sr.

BillyMac Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:17pm

I'm Confused And I Can't Get Up ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 558155)
BillyMac referenced the correct Sections and Articles in the NFHS Rules. In the original post, A1 would be charged with the TF per R1-S3-A5a even though Team A previously received an Official Warning per R4-S47. In fact, this would still be a TF charged to A1 even if Team A had NOT received an Official Warning for an infraction of R4-S47, but A1's TF would trigger an Official Warning to Team A.MTD, Sr.

How does one differentiate a team technical (10-1) from a player technical for (10-3) when a player prevents the ball from being made live promptly or from being put in play by interfering with the ball following a goal?

Are free throw huddles and/or court not ready (water), always team technicals after a warning?

Can crossing the boundary line ever be a player technical after a team warning? Or is it always a team technical?

I thought I understood these delays. Not so. I'm getting confused. Help me, or, I swear, I'll make another study guide, and this is not an idle threat.

BillyClyde 68 Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:52pm

I called it a direct t on A1. He caused the delay. I still think I was right!!!!!

JRutledge Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyClyde 68 (Post 558174)
I called it a direct t on A1. He caused the delay. I still think I was right!!!!!

The problem is you were wrong. It goes to the team, just like an excessive timeout T.

Peace

Scrapper1 Mon Dec 15, 2008 09:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 558167)
How does one differentiate a team technical (10-1) from a player technical for (10-3) when a player prevents the ball from being made live promptly or from being put in play by interfering with the ball following a goal?

If it's one of the things that we give a delay warning for, then the technical (for delay) goes on the team. If it's not one of the things that we give a warning for, then it goes on the player.

Breaking the plane receives a warning the first time. So the second time, it could be done by a different kid. Therefore, the team gets the foul, not the kid.

Touching the ball while the inbounder is holding it does not get a warning. Therefore, it goes directly on the kid.

Similarly, rolling the ball away from the official in frustration delays the game but does not receive a warning. So you if call a kid for traveling and he rolls the ball to the other end of the gym, technical foul on the player, not just the team.