The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
6-1-2b: The ball becomes live when on a throw-in, it is at the disposal of the thrower.

4-4-7b: A ball is at the disposal of a player when it is available to a player after a goal.
Thinking about how I"ve called this in the past, and the OP, I'd say the ball was probably "available" when the foul happened. However, whose judgment counts? If the new trail (on the endline) hasn't yet started the count, maybe he thinks it wasn't "available". So is it his opinion or mine?
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 11:24pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Thinking about how I"ve called this in the past, and the OP, I'd say the ball was probably "available" when the foul happened. However, whose judgment counts? If the new trail (on the endline) hasn't yet started the count, maybe he thinks it wasn't "available". So is it his opinion or mine?

If you called the foul, I would say it's yours.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you called the foul, I would say it's yours.
Hmmm.....

Gonna have to think about that a little. So I call it personal. P comes in and says, "Ball wasn't available yet, it's a T". Or we've got a double whistle, with P signalling the T. Is this just standard team disagreement? Someone gives, the other one takes it to the table?
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 11:32pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Hmmm.....

Gonna have to think about that a little. So I call it personal. P comes in and says, "Ball wasn't available yet, it's a T". Or we've got a double whistle, with P signalling the T. Is this just standard team disagreement? Someone gives, the other one takes it to the table?
If you call a personal, he has no authority to set aside your call. Double whistle disagreement, according to all the blarge people, I guess you have to charge both.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you call a personal, he has no authority to set aside your call. Double whistle disagreement, according to all the blarge people, I guess you have to charge both.
I am new to this board as you can tell from the number of postings, but I have to tell you, that here in Utah, we'd get slaughtered as refs if we dared to call a "blarge." That's like two cars crashing in the intersection...one has to be red and the other green...can't both be guilty of a foul on the same play.....at least, not in Northern Utah....
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's ridiculous. Can't call the same player for BOTH a personal AND a technical on the same play!! This isn't like a blarge at all. It's like a double whistle with one ref calling PC and the other a travel.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 11:45pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarecrow View Post
I am new to this board as you can tell from the number of postings, but I have to tell you, that here in Utah, we'd get slaughtered as refs if we dared to call a "blarge." That's like two cars crashing in the intersection...one has to be red and the other green...can't both be guilty of a foul on the same play.....at least, not in Northern Utah....
You're preaching to the choir here, my friend.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 11:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Beehive State ...

Quote:
So in Northern Utah, when the lead blows his whistle, puts up a fist, puts his hand behind his head, and calls, "Player control", and at exactly the same time, the trail blows his whistle, puts up a fist, puts both hands on his hips, and calls, "Block", what do you do, by rule, next? And no fair answering that double whistles should have been covered in pregame, because even if it was, it happened, and now you have to deal with it, as NFHS rules dictate.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
So in Northern Utah, when the lead blows his whistle, puts up a fist, puts his hand behind his head, and calls, "Player control", and at exactly the same time, the trail blows his whistle, puts up a fist, puts both hands on his hips, and calls, "Block", what do you do, by rule, next? And no fair answering that double whistles should have been covered in pregame, because even if it was, it happened, and now you have to deal with it, as NFHS rules dictate.
Reality....Pregame, we discuss the "blarge" and the double whistle, and after we quickly eyeball each other, the Trail will normally defer to the Lead, since the play is coming at him....and not show his foul signal....therefore, there might be a double whistle, but only one foul shown to the teams and the fans...Isn't it true that only one of them is wrong? You can't really have a block if the B Player has a LGP....If he moved into place too late, bang him with the block....My opinion, but again we don't "blarge" in my neck of the woods....
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You're preaching to the choir here, my friend.
Whew!!!! Thank you.....
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

But the blarge is completely irrelevant to the OP.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But the blarge is completely irrelevant to the OP.
You're right...I agree, but an interim post made reference to the blarge....so I interjected...sorry about that....
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 11:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

In A Perfect World, In An Imperfect world ???

Quote:
Reality....Pregame, we discuss the "blarge" and the double whistle, and after we quickly eyeball each other, the Trail will normally defer to the Lead, since the play is coming at him....and not show his foul signal....therefore, there might be a double whistle, but only one foul shown to the teams and the fans...Isn't it true that only one of them is wrong? You can't really have a block if the B Player has a LGP....If he moved into place too late, bang him with the block....My opinion, but again we don't "blarge" in my neck of the woods....
Almost everything you've stated is true. A good pregame, and an awareness that your partner also blew his whistle, and the patience to avoid preliminary signals, and to make eye contact, will all lead to the an avoidance of the blarge call. But you still haven't answered my question. You have two rookie officials working a freshman game, the lead and trail both blow their whistles at the same time, but due to the noise of the crowd, don't realize that two whistles have been blown. They also have eight players between them which prevents them from having eye contact with each other. Both present preliminary signals, one block, one charge, after which they realize that they haven't done what they talked about in pregame. What happens next, by rule, in Northern Utah?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 14, 2008 at 10:39am.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You're right...I agree, but an interim post made reference to the blarge....so I interjected...sorry about that....
So what about my double whistle scenario? Since new trail is the one who's supposed to count, does his T stand? Or the personal by the center who thinks the ball is available, but isn't looking for the count?
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So what about my double whistle scenario? Since new trail is the one who's supposed to count, does his T stand? Or the personal by the center who thinks the ball is available, but isn't looking for the count?
My opinion only, but the two must talk it out--quickly--and the new Trail with the count would win out....his count, his call....