The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 02:48am
Do not give a damn!!

This kind of proves that states can do whatever the he!! they want to when it comes to mechanics or rules procedures.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
BayStateRef:

The judge's statement that says the "official's (sic) authority extends to post-game oversight" proves that he has not read the NFHS Basketball Rules regarding the game officials authority. I am willing to bet dollars to donuts that he is not a sports official either. It is easy for this judge to put game officials in harms' way because he sits behind a large wood bar of justice protected by bailiffs and other court security personnel. I can assure you, that if he was to assume the game officials post-game duties, that the first time anybody accosted him he would do an 180 degree turn on his ruling.

MTD, Sr.
Mark,

The judge did not make that statement. As posted, it is the MIAA rule that gives the official this "authority." (Also...the judge is a she, not a he.)

Without getting too legal, the judge did not rule on the full merits of the case. Rather, she was asked to issue an injunction forbidding the handshake rule from taking effect when the season starts today. The legal standard for an injunction is much higher, requiring the officials to show that waiting for a full trial will cause "irreparable harm." As the judge said in her ruling, the officials failed to "demonstrate the required level of imminent, non speculative, substantial and irreparable harm to their physical, reputation, or financial interest."

As a varsity official, this affects me directly. I am comfortable there are enough "out" clauses that if I do not feel it is safe or if the school administration does not do its job, then I will not stay. I know there have been incidents and I am not trying to minimize them. But for me...and for many officials with whom I have spoken...this is not a big deal.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Season starts tonight. I'm sure most crews for tonight's games will stick around for the PGHS, due to the ruling last night. However, what will be more interesting is what happens when both officials don't stick around, or even more interesting, when 1 official refuses to stay and the other official wants to...

1 thing I didn't understand about the ruling was a quote from the MIAA's lawyer, who said that officials who don't stick around for the PGHS would be suspended. Suspended by who? MIAA doesn't have that kind of jurisdiction over officials, except by refusing them post-season tournament assignments. Local boards don't have that power either, as my board came right out and told us we're independent contractors and they can't suspend us for that reason.

The poo-poo is about to hit the fan. Strap yourself in folks, and get ready, cuz the already-bumpy ride is about to get bumpier!
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

It sounds to me that there's boatloads of ego driving people to take inadvisable choices for the sake of ends of which they've lost sight.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 07:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Need A mbyron To English Translator ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
It sounds to me that there's boatloads of ego driving people to take inadvisable choices for the sake of ends of which they've lost sight.
God, this sounds really good. I don't fully understand it, but it sounds really good. Thanks for making the Forum more classy.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 11:37pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschramm View Post
If theres anyone on here from Wisconsin, maybe you could help me out.

When I was younger (say 10-15 years ago), I remember at basketball games that teams would be announced, starting with the visitor and alternating with the home. V1 would get announced, go over and shake the opposing coach's hand, then stand at mid-court. Then H1 would get announced, shake V coach's hand, go to midcourt and shake V1's hand, then each would go near their free-throw line and wait for their teammates to go through the same procedure. However in recent memory I don't see that anymore. And actually, the WIAA (WI governing body) states on its website that all five V players should be announced first, then all 5 H players, with no seeking out for handshakes.

Anyway, just curious if it's only Wisconsin that has done this, or if it is part of the NFHS manuals.
Just Wisconsin. And I disagree with MTD, Sr. I think it's a fine rule that prevents any pregame nonsense. If the starters want to shake hands, they're free to do so before the opening jump. The way we do it, we have the anthem, introduce 5 V starters, introduce 5 H starters, let's go.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Joke

The Postgame Handshake is a JOKE!
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 05:01pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Here's a local columnist's view on the issue. His email address is listed at the bottom of the article.

Officials Make the Wrong Call
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 05:08pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Here's a local columnist's view on the issue. His email address is listed at the bottom of the article.

Officials Make the Wrong Call
Let me guess. The columnist never consulted the rule book.