The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 02:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Can't remember the last time this happened

Actually had a game canceled today due to snow! Hey - this is Portland, not Wasilla! It typically snows here about every two or three years for one day and we get about an inch. Of course, when that happens, the entire town shuts down. Since I grew up in Chicago, I find it quite amusing.

So far this morning, we have about three inches and it's still coming down. It's like a movie. My dog loves it, though.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 03:43pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Sounds like Washington DC and the northern VA area. They close schools and cancel games here when it starts snowing in West Virginia......

I grew up in PA and find it amusing too.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Every time I drive through snow to do a game, I think to myself, "I'm soooo glad I don't work sports that get rained out any longer." Never had a basketball game canceled for snow yet.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 04:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Every time I drive through snow to do a game, I think to myself, "I'm soooo glad I don't work sports that get rained out any longer." Never had a basketball game canceled for snow yet.
I have. When one team can't travel (say, through the mountains), the game gets cancelled. When classes at one school get cancelled, games get cancelled as well.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 05:39pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I will usually have 2-3 games postponed due to snow/sleet, etc. I was expecting that to happen Friday but mine was one of a handful of games that was played. They try to give us the same game again in those instances. It usually works out that I get as many replacement assignments as the ones I have 'lost'.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 08:25pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post
Pope Francis
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

In Georgia, where we have significant (more than 1 inch) snow about once every five years, I've had games cancelled on the forecast of snow. This is also when local consumers raid stores for all the bread and milk in sight. It is hilarious.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopsRefJunior View Post
In Georgia, where we have significant (more than 1 inch) snow about once every five years, I've had games cancelled on the forecast of snow. This is also when local consumers raid stores for all the bread and milk in sight. It is hilarious.
Same here in SC. I had one canceled last year because it appeared it was going to snow and the visitors canceled school for the day.

I just avoided the grocery store until the next day when it was 65 and sunny...
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Mark, as a rule I make it a policy not to argue with you, but in this case, I"m about 10 miles away, and you're iced in, so I think I'll take the chance. Really, the cancellations today and tomorrow aren't for snow. Portland can function through an inch or two of snow. It's the ice on the roads that makes people nervous. And we've got even more snow coming in tonight on top of the ice. I hate driving on this stuff, and I"m always glad when they cancel things.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 09:29pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Mark, as a rule I make it a policy not to argue with you, but in this case, I"m about 10 miles away, and you're iced in, so I think I'll take the chance. Really, the cancellations today and tomorrow aren't for snow. Portland can function through an inch or two of snow. It's the ice on the roads that makes people nervous. And we've got even more snow coming in tonight on top of the ice. I hate driving on this stuff, and I"m always glad when they cancel things.
So I guess you'll never visit Canada in the wintertime?
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
So I guess you'll never visit Canada in the wintertime?
I might. But someone else will do the driving!!
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 10:58pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Juulie, as a rule I make it a policy not to argue with you, but in this case, I will. The email I received regarding the cancellation of the games stated it was because of snow.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 02:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Juulie, as a rule I make it a policy not to argue with you, but in this case, I will. The email I received regarding the cancellation of the games stated it was because of snow.
So it's Will that's ignorant, not you? Yea, that I can believe...
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 03:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
I remember living in the Portland area, the snow and ice storms can be terrible but thankfully not long lived. Having lived in AK, driving in snow and ice wasn't that big of a deal. I was the only one that made it to work on-time during one storm there and ended up driving to pick up co-workers.

No worries about canceling games up here. Only cancelled one day of school in 30 years of school. Blowing 60 with 0 visibility and 30 foot snow drifts. Of course after administration cancelled school it got nice.