The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

I've also dealt with this a little, In fact, during my run this afternoon my shins were barking. I stopped at my turn around point and spent about 10 seconds doing calf stretches. Problem solved.

Sudden increases in the amount of running will cause you problems. Changes in running surface may contribute. Changes in weight will too.

My suggestion, next year begin running earlier and ramp up more slowly.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

I went to trainer and he showed me a device called the "pro-stretch". You can get a single or double for both feet at same time. I prefer the single as it fits in the bag better.

It's a heave molded plastic with flat top and guide for your heel. The bottom is round (half circle). Stand next to door frame, wall - whatever - and stand on device. Slowly rotate forward and hold - back and hold. repeat several times. Since I started using this I have had zero problems with shins, calves, achilles etc.

They are not cheap - cost about $50 but well worth it. I got mine from alimed. ProStretch® Products
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Wow............very topical as I was going to post my latest ailment.

Regarding shin splints, first thing to check are your shoes. I can't believe a fellow ref who has been at it for about 7 years and has THE SAME PAIR OF SHOES! Granted he doesn't have aschedule like mine, but I always break in a new pair every year. You owe that to yourself.

Last year end of season on one of those rock hard synthetic courts, it hurt so bad, I almost had to stop. I bought a rubber/velco wrap which greatly helped, saw a trainer for exercises and stretching and it hasn't been back although, I'll get a little sensitivity from time to time. I do an ungodly amount of games and for the most part run and have never had any major injuries......................until last week. Had a Varsity boys game with a lot of transition which kept me moving, suddenly I had a sharp ache in my knee and pulled up lame just before half. my partners said just stay in cadillac for second half and enjoy the ride, which I didn't do and luckily it improved somewhat.

I have a little swelling in knee and it feels a little loose my guess is a torn miniscus(sp?) I'm going to wrap it and try not to torque it. I can jog but not sprint. Sadly, I have the best schedule in my career, with a few new boys assignors who will probably watch me work. I'm seeing a Doc next week and hope it's something I can put off until off season. Man, I completely lost focus on game where I had the injury. I'm icing it regularly and hopefully a wrap or brace will help.

As someone said, stretch, stretch, stretch.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 01:14pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Fullor - Good luck with your injury. I hope it's not serious and you get your season in. You're smart to go to the doctor.

Like others probably, I take my health a little for granted. Two years ago, I tore my knee up bad playing in a game and had major surgery. Thankfully, it was at the end of the season and I've made a good recovery. But, it was a major wake-up call!

Now, similar to the players, I really get keyed up for the season to start and this post is a good reminder for us all (not only to avoid the shin splints) to ensure we not only take care of our bodies, but also have the right equipment and take proper precautions.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to falsecut Send a message via AIM to falsecut Send a message via Yahoo to falsecut
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
As someone said, stretch, stretch, stretch.
YMMV with this but this is what a personal trainer told me. It is a mistake to stretch as the very first thing you do (which is many folks first step). He provided this anaolgy. Suppose you took a rubber band out of the freezer. Would you want to stretch it immediately or after it had warmed up? Doing it right away may very well snap it. Same with people. Take a lap or two around the court or somewhere to warm up, then stretch. (He told me, notice how the first things ballplayers do when they come out of the dugout to warm up is run around the field, then stretch).
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falsecut View Post
YMMV with this but this is what a personal trainer told me. It is a mistake to stretch as the very first thing you do (which is many folks first step). He provided this anaolgy. Suppose you took a rubber band out of the freezer. Would you want to stretch it immediately or after it had warmed up? Doing it right away may very well snap it. Same with people. Take a lap or two around the court or somewhere to warm up, then stretch. (He told me, notice how the first things ballplayers do when they come out of the dugout to warm up is run around the field, then stretch).
I doubt they run, it defeats the same logic you're using. I'm not coming out of the freezer, but I get your theory. My guy told with my stretching if it is the least bit discomforting, you're doing it too hard.

As Bill Murray said in 'What about Bob?' baby steps.

Last edited by fullor30; Wed Dec 03, 2008 at 11:43am.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I doubt they run, it defeats the same logic you're using. I'm not coming out of the freezer, but I get your theory. My guy told with my stretching if it is the least bit discomforting, you're doing to hard

As Bill Murray said in 'What about Bob?' baby steps.
Every professional I've ever talked to about stretching says doing it cold is a bad, bad idea. Jog first, walk first, something. If you're just going for a run - nothing that will require hard stops and starts - most won't even recommend stretching before hand. Just jog for a while to warm up and gradually increase speed.

If you do want to stretch before activity, you still need a good warm up first, or the stretching is both dangerous and not very helpful.

Everyone I've talked to always recommends stretching after activity, and this is where I come up short. I have a hard time after a workout or ballgame taking the 15-20 minutes to really stretch. I'd be much better off by doing it.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Everyone I've talked to always recommends stretching after activity, and this is where I come up short. I have a hard time after a workout or ballgame taking the 15-20 minutes to really stretch. I'd be much better off by doing it.

Yup.............
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 08:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Plantar Fasciitis ...

I ended up my season in March with a minor case of Plantar fasciitis, that seemed to get worse, as I spend a lot of time on my feet at work. Very painful heel, and arch, every morning as I got out of bed. Loosened up as I went through my day. During my physical exam in the summer, I mentioned it to my general practitioner, who suggested a splint to bend my foot toward my knee at night, and a heel pad during the day. It wasn't working, so I did some research on the internet. I now use the splint at night, and I use a high arch support during the day. I no longer have the morning pain. I may use the arch support during my games this season. I'll take it one week at a time.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)