The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

They are killing me already this year. I have new shoes, Converse mid-cut with the Spenco insoles for extra cushion. I had someone tell me last night that wearing tube socks helps. Any other ideas? The only thing that seems to work for me is ibuprofen.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Lose the converse. It is either coincidence or the shoes, mine left right after I switched to new balance.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
They are killing me already this year. I have new shoes, Converse mid-cut with the Spenco insoles for extra cushion. I had someone tell me last night that wearing tube socks helps. Any other ideas? The only thing that seems to work for me is ibuprofen.
Do a Google search on shin splints and also look for taping. There are sites that have “how to tape the foot” info. You should also look into motion-control shoes. RunnersWorld.com or a good runners shoe store with personal attention should help.

Cut down on the number of games may be the best of all things to do.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Cut down on the number of games?

Originally posted by devdog69

Cut down on the number of games may be the best of all things to do.
[/QUOTE]

What are you NUTS! I'd Cut off my feet, before I surrender my games!
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
What I was told by the athletic trainer at the Air Force Academy was to build up your arch. Buy some arch supports. The other thing is to ice the legs after every night of officiating.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

ok, that gives me a little to look into. I really don't think it is the shoes, they are new this year and the splints are actually not as bad either. Probably not much chance of cutting down on the games, just too much fun. 20 dates in January, that should be a test.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Here is the exercise that saved me: Walk ten steps on toes, then ten steps on heels (toes up as high as possible). Do this around the house at first and then about a quarter mile per day. Really helped me A LOT!!
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 05:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Here is the exercise that saved me: Walk ten steps on toes, then ten steps on heels (toes up as high as possible). Do this around the house at first and then about a quarter mile per day. Really helped me A LOT!!
Juulie,I don't own any heels,and when I wear my wife's she gives me the strangest look!But I'll try it if you think it will help!:
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Get the Spenco palstic insoles, not the soft cushy ones. Your feet and arches need support, not cushion.

http://www.spenco.com/home.html

Buy your self some support socks. Theyy're like compression shorts for the feet and shins. They are very, very tight. I wear two pair when I officiate. They are so tight that it takes me about 5 minutes just to put the socks on. Futuro makes a good sock and it's available at CVS. See the link below for a desription.

http://www.medichest.com/futuromensfirmsuppor-003.html

BTW, you're right. It's not the shoes. Nothing wrong with the Converse Whistles, at IMO.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Shin Splints

I had problems with shin splints (and various other nagging foot/leg problems) for years before I finally broke down and went to a podiatrist. He set me up with prescription orthotics for both my everyday street shoes and my basketball shoes. It can get a little expensive if your insurance doesn't cover it (around $300 for a pair), and they take a little time getting used to, but I haven't had any shin splints since I started using them.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

LB Ref is correct. Would you believe my heels and arches hurt more after a football game than after two basketball games? My podiatrist told me about Spenco. The Spenco Orthotics are a fraction of the cost and were recommended by the doctor when we learned my insurance wouldn't cover the custom orthotics. I can't imagine the custom being much better than the Spenco. Whether it's shin splints, heel spurs or plantar fasciitis, you'll see a drastic improvement in how your feet and legs feel.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Shin Splints

The Spenco orthotics actually work fine for about 95% of the people. Unfortunately I happen to fall into the other 5% category - my arches are so high and I have such a severe supination problem that custom orthotics were the only way to go. Even with the inserts, I still get a flare-up of planter faciitis on occasion, so sooner or later I'm probably going to end up getting arthroscopic surgery to correct the problem.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
After 2 seasons of dealing with this I think what worked
for me was very simple: wear 2 pairs of socks when you
ref. Nothing else I tried helped, including orthotics,
ice, stretching (I didn't try my wife's heels!), wraps,
drugs. Maybe I'm lucky, who knows.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Spaman_29
Hey the best thing for shin splints is plain rest and to get off of them. Shin splints are merely stress fractures. The atletic trainers can wrap your ankles to help relieve some of the pain. During the off season you need to make sure that you rest your legs properly. The best way to stay in shape is to get on a stationary bike. At the start of next season two weeks prior to your first game start streching and getting them ready. Sorry guys but I have to say it. LOSE SOME WEIGHT if you need to. Now that you have them the best way to relief some of the pressure is to ice them for 20 minutes after a game. Before a game get them warm before you really get going on them. Hair dryer, shower, hot tub, hot pad, or anything else that you can think of. Then get a good strech. Good luck
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Spaman_29
Shin splints are merely stress fractures.
I'm not sure this is true. My sister is not yet a doctor, but she is in medical school, and in her sports medicine rotation, she learned that shin splints are actually inflammation of the muscles and tentonds that connect the bones in the lower leg. The reasons they inflame are complicated, but the exercises I described above are designed to strengthen those muscles so they won't keep re-swelling.

I do use orthotics, too, though, and they help a lot with various foot pains I would get from time to time.