The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 09:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Incredible - coach tossed at scrimmage!

Went to a ref clinic this afternoon for the group that works a highly competitive MS organization. One of the things we did was "mirror" some newer officials at a bunch of scrimmages, mostly 8th grade boys. This was at a local HS, so the facilities were pretty good. I was watching one of the scrimmages when all of a sudden, one of the experienced guys who was helping a younger official instructed him to toss a coach. The coach couldn't believe it and refused to leave. One of the other guys who was watching went and got the ref coordinator (who was in another gym at the time) to intervene. I just watched what was going on and saw him speak with the coach, who then went over to the two officials and apparently apologized. He then finished coaching for the few minutes that the scrimmage still had left. After it was over, I found out the coach had directed an F-bomb twice at the young referee. That's why the older guy directed him to toss the coach. I guess since it was just a scrimmage, the decision was made to let him stay, although he was told that if this happened in a league game, not only would he have been tossed, but also suspended.

Ya' know, I've done a lot of things in my career, but I can't say I've ever tossed a coach at a scrimmage. It looked like it would have been a lot of fun.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 09:45pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Went to a ref clinic this afternoon for the group that works a highly competitive MS organization. One of the things we did was "mirror" some newer officials at a bunch of scrimmages, mostly 8th grade boys. This was at a local HS, so the facilities were pretty good. I was watching one of the scrimmages when all of a sudden, one of the experienced guys who was helping a younger official instructed him to toss a coach. The coach couldn't believe it and refused to leave. One of the other guys who was watching went and got the ref coordinator (who was in another gym at the time) to intervene. I just watched what was going on and saw him speak with the coach, who then went over to the two officials and apparently apologized. He then finished coaching for the few minutes that the scrimmage still had left. After it was over, I found out the coach had directed an F-bomb twice at the young referee. That's why the older guy directed him to toss the coach. I guess since it was just a scrimmage, the decision was made to let him stay, although he was told that if this happened in a league game, not only would he have been tossed, but also suspended.

Ya' know, I've done a lot of things in my career, but I can't say I've ever tossed a coach at a scrimmage. It looked like it would have been a lot of fun.
When I was in grad school about 15 years ago, my supervisor assigned scrimmage dates and someone asked what should happen if the coaches act up -- give a technical?

The supervisor said that a technical would be silly. He said if it got that bad to "put the ball on the table and go to the house."

Of course we didn't get paid for the scrimmages, so it wasn't a huge loss if this did happen. 2 years later, I left during a scrimmage when the coach acted badly enough to warrant it. My partner stayed and worked by himself and I scratched him that evening.

In seven years of working paid scrimmages here, I can't remember a single coach acting up.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Camp....

I almost tossed a coach this summer at a HS camp in town. He was crying pretty hard, then dropped a curse word. Popped him. He then explained that it was only a camp and couldn't believe I called it. I explained that if he was going to practice yelling at the referees, I was going to practice my mechanics and the other team was going to practice their free throws.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 12:07am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
i explained that if he was going to practice yelling at the referees, i was going to practice my mechanics and the other team was going to practice their free throws.
awesome!!!!
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

I T'd up a coach in a scrimmage two years ago. He was whining that his kid got hit on a three point try, when in fact there was very little contact after the shot and the kid went down in a heap looking for the call.

2-man game I was the lead and it was right on foul line extended so I took the shot. Signaled the three attempt took him to the floor passed on the contact and watched the rebounding action on the strong side. As I go by the bench he says something...I respond in passing with "not much contact there coach." He calls time out shortly thereafter and tells me I missed it. I respond that I saw it and that the shooter exaggerated the contact. He responds with "you didn't see it. You're a liar!" Just normal reaction at that point..."T". While administering the T FT's I'm thinking to myself I can't believe that just happened!!
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

My second scrimmage this year, boys varsity, my partner "T's" the home coach 90 seconds in. It's a scrimmage so we didn't shoot FTs, just told him we weren't going to take that.

Third quarter, I bang the visiting coach. Same thing.

Unbelievable, really...
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
. 2 years later, I left during a scrimmage when the coach acted badly enough to warrant it. My partner stayed and worked by himself and I scratched him that evening.
First year I was assigned a scrimmage with 3 other new guys,a vet and the assignor. Assignor told home coach to cut out the clown act. About 5 minutes later assignor then told the coach "either you leave or we leave"...Home coach threw a fit but wouldn't leave...so assignor has us all meet at another school and we piggybacked on their scrimmage.

It was pretty funny....Not paid
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Is it a contest where all the rules, regs and whatever else occurs at a 'regular' game are in play? (Federaton specific)

If it is federation, then the coach has certain behavior guidelines that he is to demonstrate at all times. They do not get a rope to play with.

I have gotten back into officiating basketball after a 4-5 year layoff. So, i will once again read the posts to learn how to handle situations and make tough calls and gain a better understanding of rules and their interpretation.

I had my first scrimmages last week and tried once to do the team control mechanic at the table from the book. Afterwards, my partner asked me about it cause the scorers were confused and he did not know what it was. He said they do not use that one in our association.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I almost tossed a coach this summer at a HS camp in town. He was crying pretty hard, then dropped a curse word. Popped him. He then explained that it was only a camp and couldn't believe I called it.
I explained that if he was going to practice yelling at the referees, I was going to practice my mechanics and the other team was going to practice their free throws.
Niiiice!

I think I'll try that one sometime.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I almost tossed a coach this summer at a HS camp in town. He was crying pretty hard, then dropped a curse word. Popped him. He then explained that it was only a camp and couldn't believe I called it. I explained that if he was going to practice yelling at the referees, I was going to practice my mechanics and the other team was going to practice their free throws.
That is a fantastic line!!